3 Point (Shoulder) Seat Belts - D Series Travelall?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by MrKenmore, Jul 29, 2019.

1. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

I'm looking at the threaded insert in the B pillar. Looks like IH was preparing themselves for required shoulder belts. It's listed in the brochure as "shoulder harness anchors". I would very much like to make use of this. Has anyone on BP done this before? It appears 73-87 GM trucks would be a close match. The aftermarket is pretty decent. Although it is not an exact match for the GM style, I think it'll get the job done.

From LMC: http://www.lmctruck.com/Features/CC/CCCG8.htm

From Seat Belts Plus: https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/CHT7387-BEN.html
    (These look like a better match)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

I used that anchor point in my '68.
    No problem.

3. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

Do you remember what seat belts you used?

4. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

I would go with seat belts plus. Or more accurately, I PLAN on going with seat belts plus. They will send you swatches of the seat belt material in various colors so you can choose the right color, and their prices seem very reasonable. (The D series trucks also have the anchor points. I understand that it was a federal requirement after a certain model year, but before the seat belts themselves were mandated.

5. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

Now that is interesting!

6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Them engineers were smart ! Thinking ahead of their time.

7. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

In some forums I have seen arguments about whether or not retrofiting 3pt harnesses is a good idea. Obviously if the mount points were put there by the engineers that designed the vehicle, it should not be a problem. However there were arguments about whether you could retrofit them to vehicles that were older and had no provision for them. There were the typical wide eyed "safety arguments" about how "I wouldn't be comfortable doing that" and "your life inst worth the risk" and there were more reasoned arguments about potentially causing unforeseen problems (if you knew what they were yet wold not be unforeseen,right?) A good analogy is that adding air bags to an old vehicle would be a very bad idea. There is just to much engineering in exactly where to place them and how much energy to deploy them with. (A friend of mine worked on some of that early research and told stories about some of the initial propellants that they tried,that took the heads off the crash test dummies! Hilarious, unless your the crash test dummy) What convinced me that the 3pt harness debate was settled, in favor of adding them to any vehicle, was the insurance companies. Insurance companies such as Haggarty, recommend 3pt harnesses. They have the data, and if it was a problem, they would not tell you to do it. Not only do they have access to all the data to know that they work properly, they are the ones to have to pay out if you get injured, and if it made things worse, they would get sued and pay even more because they TOLD you to install it. (And there is nothing an insurance company hates more than paying out money)

Of course,on the D line vehicles, its moot, as they are provisioned with mounting points from the factory. Speaking as someone who rolled a truck (with only lap belts to protect me), everyone should put three point harness into their D lines.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2005/09/01/seat-belts-and-your-collector-car

oneof3k and MrKenmore like this.
  8. YankeeWhite

YankeeWhite Farmall Cub

I bought a kit for my 74 and they worked great once I figured out the hardware combo at the bottom.

9. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

Did you get it from seat belts plus? I am trying to figure out how things go with that bracket on the non retractable (fixed) end. I know the stock GM units has a pin and retractor activator that protrudes into the B pillar.

This is the Seat Belts Plus GM 73-87
    CHT6887-chevy-bench-seat-belts-1.jpg

Chevy K5 Blazer style
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

10. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

11. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

Nice! Very simple.

12. dan1500

dan1500 Binder Driver

One thing to keep in mind is the anchors in my opinion are a little on the low side in the vehicle. Some of the belts will have an extension between the hanger and where they mount. You definitely want ones where the mounting bolt is right at the hanger without any extension

13. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

The OEM lap belts (non- retractable) that came in the Rhino had the same GM style buckles that you're lookin' at.
    But I chose cheap...and simple.

14. ihv800

ihv800 Farmall Cub

I have a '73 1210 that was ordered by the Forest Service. It has what I believe were factory shoulder belts in it. It was another belt and buckle in addition to the lap belt. There are also storage clips to keep them out of the way behind the doors when not in use (even spring clips to retain the tail). Never seen another set like it.

P1020752.JPG
    P1020751.JPG
    P1020750.JPG

15. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

16. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

So when I got the Travelall, the retractors were mounted at the shoulder attachment point. No lap belt.
    20190730_190956.jpg
    Here's the lower mount
    20190730_185334.jpg
    Switched things around for now
    20190730_190911.jpg
    20190730_191429.jpg
    Bolt and threaded insert is 7/16-20 fine thread. I ordered a tap to chase out the insert to clean things up.
    20190730_185632.jpg

17. sabercat

sabercat Farmall Cub

back in the early 1970 s GM had separate lap belts and shoulder belts (the shoulder belts were non retractable and when not in use the slid into a bracket above the door)there were two buckles in the seat to connect to one for shoulder the other for the lap belt
    i had this set up in two full sized cars 1971 buick lesaber and 1972 pontiac parisienne

18. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

7/16 NF - the new belts should come packed with the same.
    That stock retracter may not work properly inverted.

19. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Interesting thread. I've had SBP 3-pt belts in my Scout for over 10 years now. Work fine. The top piece attaches to a tab I welded to the outboard edge of my roll bar. I just went with their basic black webbing and their "Euro" style buckle setup because I have bucket seats. I actually just drove over to their shop an bought them one day. They're in Oceanside, which is only 30 miles from my house.

For anyone who has buckets, surplus HUMVEE belts are another option. I've seen them for sale without the additional and unnecessary hardware for less money than this. (just too lazy to look them up):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HMMWV-HUMV...EAT-BELT-KIT-4X4-OFF-ROAD-TRUCK-/222354760756

20. roguemustang

roguemustang Farmall Cub

I haven't gotten my truck running to worry about seat belts yet, but in my '56 Ford Customline I installed 3 points for the driver and passenger. I bought them from Juliano's and got the mounting points as well. I wasn't comfortable installing them myself, so I had my father in law (former welder by trade) weld in the shoulder anchors. Thankfully I haven't put them to the test, but I've always felt better knowing that I have them. I've never understood why you see all the expensive customs in the magazines with just a lap belt...if you put that much money into it, why not make it safer as well?