2 cycle oil in gas?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by 68&75ScoutV, Sep 11, 2006.

1. 68&75ScoutV

68&75ScoutV Farmall Cub

I was chatting with some people about the use of Seafoam in a vechile that is not used too often. It is a tracked tank used on wildland fires, it sits for months without running. I was told that 2 cycle oil added to the gas will stabilize it and make everything good. The logic was a chainsaw sits for long periods and starts every time. I was told it was a cheep alternative to seafoam. Anybody ever hear of this.

2. b.rock

b.rock High Wheeler

Yeah, a friend's dad did it on a small generator and it did some really unpleasant things to the carb :(

3. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Two cycle oil will not save the gas. It will help keep the tank from rusting however. Marvel or ATF will do the same. About 2 oz per ten gallons. Adding 'stove' alcoholat the same dosage keeps condensation emulified so the bottom of the tank doesn't rust through. "Sta-Bil" or one of the othre commercial gas perservatives works to keep the fuel from degenerating.

Butleated HydroxyToluene is the basis of most fuel preservatives. EDTA also works if you can get it through chemical supply houses - not worth the expense for a single vehicle; just buy the commercial stuff.

4. corncrasher

corncrasher Farmall Cub

Most 2 stoke mixes for saw's have some kind of a sta'bill stuff in them, which is why the gas doesn't go bad as quick. I use sta'bill in all my stuff it works great.

5. 68&75ScoutV

68&75ScoutV Farmall Cub

that is what I thought, I just couldn't see how oil would do the carb any good. True the 2 cycle oil has stabilizers but that seems to be a newer trend.

6. BuyingBinder

BuyingBinder Farmall Cub

I have had very good luck with Sta-bil. My truck went 2 years without being driven and it started and ran very smoothly, and didnt give off the nasty stale gas smell at the tailpipe. I know other people who swear by it too.

Just my $.02

7. jeepdaddy2000

jeepdaddy2000 Farmall Cub

As a longtime dirtbike rider I can tell you that two stroke oil will not stabilize gas. Furthermore, as the gas evaporates, the oil will leave a varnish like coating inside your float bowl.

8. 71 Scout 2

71 Scout 2 Binder Driver

As jeepdaddy and others put it, 2 stroke oil doesn't help. What you need is a solvent to clean the varish out of the system. It's the gasoline itself these days that leaves this varish behind after it evaporates. Seafoam is a great product that cleans up the fuel system. Another thing that could help is to use a low % ethanol fuel. Ethanol is another good solvent, and will help keep things clean.