1979 Scout II Restoration.

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by Hobojoe, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Hobojoe

Hobojoe Farmall Cub

I haven't posted for a while, been busy on the current project. This is very similar to the last one: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80859

This one, however, is much much nicer to begin with. A little over 61k original miles and totally unmolested. The owner wants to have a very nice, reliable driver, so we will be doing a total restoration on the body and interior with mechanical repairs as needed, doesn't need much. I recieved this at the end of January 09 and started working soon after.

If anyone needs a picture of basically any part of such a Scout for reference feel free to ask as I have a picture of about every square inch of this truck. It was all there and untouched so great for reference. I will be posting pics from here on out but just to get you up to date here are the pictures so far.

Before, really nice!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bubbabuzz likes this.
  2. Hobojoe

Hobojoe Farmall Cub

I made a rub of the Ralley Stripes to make my own on my vinyl machine.
    [​IMG]

Here is an example of markings that is repeated on every panel.
    [​IMG]

Tear Down!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is how we keep track of bolts as we take them off and have them sent out to be either black oxide coated or zinc coated.
    We string them up and put a metal tag on them that goes right with them into the baths and has a number stamped into it for identification later. we are up in the high 60's.
    [​IMG]

Body work begins with paintless dent removal. This guy is good! you can't tell there was a ding or dent! This enables us to spend less time on hammering out dings just to skim them in filler! and cheaper than the labor involved too.
    [​IMG]

The fenders had some rust and ended up with pin holes after blasting. I welded them up and stripped the rest of the panels. Where ever we encounter rust we clean to clean metal and use rust converter and rust encapsulator. Over all the body was great with no major rust on the floor pans or rockers, the front body mounts will be worked on and we opted to change the quarters since there was already rust at the bottom and some could be seen from the inside as well. This enables you to get the inside rust treated, sound deadener installed and put back better than new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stipped!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are wondering why we stripped the entire truck it is because there was signs of rust starting on many of the seams and underside. We can now treat the rust as in the pics (brown/red) and also applied a good coating of epoxy primer (gray)to replace the weak factory e-coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bubbabuzz likes this.
  3. Hobojoe

Hobojoe Farmall Cub

Here are pics of it primered and undercoated.
    The black bottom will be painted body color later after repairs to the quarters and frame mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Braced up and ready to go!
    [​IMG]
    As you can see it was only a matter of time before rust came through on quarters!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We treated the entire inner bed side with rust encapsulator after blasting.
    We then sprayed it with truck bed liner and then used sound deadner to quiet the panel down for those nice speakers it will have mounted in the stock locations. The inside of the new panels were epoxy primed and undercoated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ahhhhhhhh! Bare Metal!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
    Bubbabuzz likes this.
  4. Hobojoe

Hobojoe Farmall Cub

Here are the various parts that we have refinished, the frame and inner fenders, etc were stripped and powder coated.
    The various engine parts were epoxied and sprayed with Centari paint out of a gun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I picked up the heads today, had them redone with BB chevy springs and better seals.
    We won't be rebuilding the entire engine, just the seals and gaskets and heads. Ran great, just had some compression issues on two cylinders.
    Well that is all for tonight.

5. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

You aredoinga great job,theonly thing is you mentioned speakers inthe stock location.There where never speakers inside the rear by theseat.The only speaker was in the dash.
    Jeff

6. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

Looking good! I'll be following this thread. I have a 79 Cali Terra almost in the same shape. Mine has a little more rust and the paint is a little farther gone. I hope to do a frame off next year some time.

7. Hobojoe

Hobojoe Farmall Cub

I was almost positive they were stock, they have a stock bezel and the wiring for them was running under the floor carpet and underlayment and taped down with the same tape as the rest of the truck. :cornfused:

8. Hobojoe

Hobojoe Farmall Cub

Here are some pictures of the wiring harness and the wiring running up to the dash. I have closer pics of the hole with no carpet on my shop computer, it was painted to the edge and the opening isn't jagged at all. That looks like blue overspray inside the quarter as well, leads me to believe there was holes there when it was painted. Was there a special option for the 79 ralley's? I should look at the build ticket on the glove box door.
    In the top picture the wires closest to you are added on to a sub in the back, not original obviously.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  9. mitchjohnson

mitchjohnson Farmall Cub

This is fantastic, really. Can I be so rude as to ask the ballpark we are in here? This enquiring mind wants to know. I cant wait to see the rest of this resto., thanks..

10. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

I followed the last thread on the build you did. Looking forward to this one as well
    You got some serious skills:punk:

11. Chad S.

Chad S. Farmall Cub

It's looking really good. Keep up the excellent work and keep the pictures coming. Can't wait to see this one come together as well.

12. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

guess it could be an option I have never seen,my parts books dont show them.If you get a chance to look at the line setting please let me know.
    Jeff

13. Nick Rayer

Nick Rayer Binder Driver

Yes, those are the factory speakers and harness as well as location. On the LST it will be listed as am-fm with stereo. I am parting a 1980 with the exact same setup.

Nick

14. 1977 SS Two

1977 SS Two Farmall Cub

That Scout looks awesome. And you're doing a great job documenting the restoration. That's gonna be one fine truck.:clap:

15. John Fleck

John Fleck Farmall Cub

Nice work, I especially like the clean shop. I am also picky about a clean well lit work environment. Looks like you will have a very near perfect scout when done. If you have any questions that you cant find an answer to on here, I would be more than happy to try and answer them for you. 360-377-4979.

Nice to know another one will be back out on the roads they belong on!!:beer:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  16. Hobojoe

Hobojoe Farmall Cub

Thanks! I will probably take you up on the offer.

17. Bill Hartson

Bill Hartson Farmall Cub

The speaker locations in the back are stock. My '79 Rallye came with speakers in the rear, my dad was the original owner of the vehicle so I know it came that way from the factory.

18. Hobojoe

Hobojoe Farmall Cub

UPDATE! This week we spent working on getting all the factory wiggles out of the sheet metal and stripping the top. We use chemical stripper for fragile panels like this. We also broke down the engine a little more and realized it was time for an overhaul. so it is going out on monday for a long block build. It will be nice to have all that in working order plus a 36k/36month warranty. The primer in the pics is a sandable epoxy primer made by House of kolor. Most build primers are urethane, not so great on bare metal cause it can actually let the water from wet sanding thru to the metal. This stuff is bullet proof and is great on bare steel to seal out moisture and it is high build as well, wich is uncommen for an epoxy. I hate the the color but we will be going over this with a gray 2k urethane build primer. From here on out it is Debeer products that are made by valspar, who also makes House of kolor, so the paint can be warantied as well. The doors are left to work out the factory style imperfections. Also next week I will replace both the front body mounts as well as get the axles painted, we installed new pinion seals, so no leaks. Then on to putting together the rolling frame on it's new 2.5 lift springs and such. We are tossing around the idea of doing a rear disc brake conversion on this, was there a thread on that here?
    Any way here are the pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. John Fleck

John Fleck Farmall Cub

Yes there are many threads about home brew Disk brakes. If ya call me up i will tell ya about the BCB 4x4 disk kit. I really like the attention to detail you use. So what do you charge for a paint job if the body is in pretty decent shape?

John

20. mitchjohnson

mitchjohnson Farmall Cub

Very nice, Hobojoe, Im really enjoying this build. Its so.....surgical. Tell me...what paint are you using on the axles?