1977 Scout II Project

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

We've had this one in the shop for several weeks, now. I was waiting until we progressed past the point of "redoing" the previous folks' work before posting anything about it. The work was not really up to par, so we ended up redoing the floors and braces so we felt good about putting our name on it.:) So, here goes.

The customer called us about his '77 SII project, and we took it on as a time/materials project. When he delivered it, we realized what we were dealing with. The aforementioned floors were bad enough to need to be taken out and redone, the rear half of the bed floor and rear sill were cut out, and there were a lot of missing pieces, rust that had been hidden under blobs of filler, etc. All in all, a sizable project lay ahead.

We immediately started by cleaning it up a little bit and getting the snow plow stuff and hood off, removed the top for access to the rest of it, etc.
    [​IMG]

It ran after a carb rebuild, and sounded decent...BUT, when we pulled a valve cover...
    [​IMG]

So while the search is on for a suitable replacement engine, we got to going on the body and chassis. We separated the two, and cleaned and sanded the chassis, and sprayed on some etch primer and Imron semigloss black, then replaced the shocks, brake hoses, spring bushings, calipers, rotors, etc. The chassis is sitting like this today:
    [​IMG]

While the body got some TLC as well. We're replacing the left quarter and end cap, reattaching the right end cap to the quarter, floors of course, finishing up the rocker welding where the previous folks left off, etc. We have a new gas tank to install, and lots of other new stuff like carpet, A/C, refinished dash, POR-15 on all the inside, undercoating the underside while the body is off, etc, etc, etc.
    [​IMG]

Patented Scoutco body flipperoo:
    [​IMG]

Lots more to come on this one, and I hope to be able to keep the thread updated as it goes on. My brother is working in the shop now, so things are happening at a reasonable pace.:rockon:

2. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

Very nice Mike, love the flipperoo! Keep us updated.

3. Mike Moore

Thanks, Gary. The Flipperoo is leftover from Blackie's underbody work. Just angle with a piece of pipe welded in it...one on the rear body mount holes, and one on the back seat hinge holes.:punk:

4. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I though for a minute you were going to go with jet propulsion, at least until I saw the next pic.

5. Mike Moore

You've seen those decals that say "kiss this if you don'y like my scout"... well we're taking that to the next level, lol.

6. Mike Moore

The project has been stepped up a notch. We have looked all over for a suitable engine for it, and with the prices and mileages, unknowns, etc...the customer decided he wants to go with a GM 5.3l. We got pick up the 19k mile L59 tomorrow for it.:punk: Sorry to all the purists out there.:oops:

7. IHWILD

IHWILD High Wheeler

Noooooooo say it isn't so lol

just kidding what you using for trans and transfer
    rich

8. Mike Moore

It's got 3.07s, so the overdrive we're thinking may be too much. Gonna adapt it to the 727/D20.

9. Mike Moore

Sooooooo... the adapter is a no-go for the 727. :censored:

Gotta decide between 700r4 and a 350 transmission, now. On another note, the engine is pulled from the donor, and waiting at the JY for pickup.:punk:

10. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

My vote is 700R4. I would rather have the overdrive and the lower first gear and worst case change the axle ratio at a later date if I didn't like the performance.

11. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

I am totally in agreeance with Mitch on this one. Adapt a Jeep D300 to the 700R4 for a decent low range and call it done. The motor should have no issues even with that high of a gear. You may not be able to get the hole shot but being able to roll 90 mph all day would be nice.

12. Mike Moore

I agree...but it really depends on what we can find for what $, too. And the overdrive will put it at just over 1700 RPM at 65 MPH. My Scout pulls everything great, and it's not much different, but the LT1 does make more torque down low. Ultimately, it is the customer's decision.

BTW- The hole shot will be better with a 700r4, too...3.06:1 first gear versus 2.52 of the TH350 (or 2.54 of the TF727). ;)

13. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

It is up to the customer for sure. There can not be a huge difference in price between the two is there? For me . . . it would be a no brainer. Wouldn't the pcm for the 5.3 also control a 4l60?

14. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Now were talking! A better oiling, smarter transmission, my preference would be a 4L80E, but thats because I have gone through 3 4L60s.

15. Mike Moore

It would...but they go for big bucks here. For instance, the engine with 19k miles on it was $1500, and the transmission is another $1200 if we want it.:nono:

16. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

That sounds kinda high. I just searched on http://www.car-part.com/ and came up with $750-$1000 in VA. Randy has been getting a good quote on the D300 adapters.

17. Mike Moore

I'll call Mr. G.;)

18. Mike Moore

I talked 'em down some more, and got the transmission. Good thing...the fly-by-wire throttle and the transmission's TV cable wouldn't exactly hook up too good if we tried to run a 700r4:oops: We put the NP241 behind it, and are waiting on the GTO manifolds to get it positioned in the chassis and welded up.:punk:

19. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Now we are talkin Mike!!:punk::punk:

I would love to drive that one when you get the drivetrain installed.

20. Mike Moore

Overdue fro an update:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SEE?!?!? I told you guys I knew how to put a front driveshaft in a Scout with a bowtie!:yes: