1977 Scout II body rebuild

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Jrc55, Sep 4, 2018.

1. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

The IH Community is like no other! We all need each other because there is so little aftermarket support, you can't just call LMC Truck and get a new front fender. Because of this fact, it brings out the craftsmanship on these builds. Not minimizing others and their endeavors but, to me are you an assembler or restorer? Did you buy everything new from LMC and put it together, or did you actually pull something from the weeds or saved from the crusher and then nurtured it back to life? Big difference.

I am super stoked that you are getting this 800 and looking forward to seeing it come to life. Plus, added bonus, I get to meet you in person and get your autograph LOL!

JJ in TN

2. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

This is so very true. Best part is you get to meet some real great people!!!!!

Jrc55 - I really like what you did with the wiring / terminals. That's a great idea. The Weather Pack is a good choice. I have a kit as well. The stock Packard 56 is actually nice and can handle lots of current. However, they are not the best at being weather tight and the plastic cracks / gets brittle as it ages. My biggest critique of the Packard 56 is that that are such a pain to get them apart.

TravelerMan79 likes this.
  3. Jrc55

Jrc55 Farmall Cub

Actually, on this particular hood, Jeff, there was previous damage. It looks like someone tried to closed the hood with the prop rod being up. We have laid the hood down gently and never stressed it. I thought I got it out. I was very lazy during hood fitment. I just threw it on and never bolted it up which goes to show, every detail matters! IMG_20191101_104532050.jpg IMG_20191101_104955089.jpg

oneof3k likes this.
  4. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Thanks Jeff, that is what I thought just needed to confirm

5. J.J.

I took a couple of pics of mine last night:

[​IMG][​IMG]

JJ in TN

Gioscout2 likes this.
  6. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

From my limited experience and research hood alignment is tough. Mine didn't 'pop' when I first put it back on, ended up being because the latch wasnt hitting dead center on the catch. To check and adjust that I put a big piece of tape (that I didn't try and tear off with my teeth) over the top of the catch, dab a bit of paint on the center point of the latch, and slowly close until it makes contact with the tape. Then lift the hood back up and see if the paint mark is dead center. Once I adjusted it to center it popped open fine, but now has 1/8" more gap on one side of the hood. I'm just living with that for now as I had about 4 hours into hood adjustment at that point.

Wiring looks good. I'm into that now. the whole rear end is residential twist connectors, electrical tape, and a rates nest of wires... not a single harness left. Every time I solve one problem another one appears. I was looking for an aftermarket harness and couldn't find anything, might give the site you mentioned a try.

vince konicki likes this.
  7. Jrc55

Jrc55 Farmall Cub

Oh, JJ. Now You're just showing off all that fine work!!!

Mark, That is exactly it. I can see that the mark on the latch is hitting too far back on the latch. Unfortunately for me, I can't move my fenders or hood forward. I'll have to modify the hood pin or latch opening. On the wiring, the rear harness is stupid simple to build from scratch. There is nothing to it. some marine tinned wire and connectors. couldn't believe how simple everything is

Belltownbikes likes this.
  8. J.J.

HAHA whatever, I was lucky to have a really clean Arizona truck, YOU my friend are the craftsman.

JJ in TN

9. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

That's weird,most hoods are to far forward,is your latch bent forward at all.I don't know how much you could move it back.I put blue grease on the circle around the pin,let the hood just touch it,then lift.It will give you a good mark.Will tell you if the hole is in the wrong place,or is the moveable part just bent.

10. Jrc55

Jrc55 Farmall Cub

aww shucks, you're embarrassing me.

I looked at it last night. Nothing seemed bent. I didn't realize there was an adjustable part. The pin on the hood moves? That's a locking nut? that would be incredibly good news if it was!

11. Jeff Jamison

No the latch moves up and down and to the sides,might beable to bend the sides so you can get it back fartheror heat up the pin and bend it alittle bit.The bottom part of the hood will bend alittle bit also,but don't know if I would try since its all painted with that black primer looking stuff.Side note I put about 5 miles on my scout today.

12. Jrc55

Jrc55 Farmall Cub

Thank you for the suggestions! OOOOOH! put them miles on her, Jeff. She rides nice.

I had a gentleman buy a couple of scout fenders from me on fb marketplace last fall. He wrecked his scout, the only other scout I've ever seen on the road here in the last 13 years. He came by the shop the other day for a visit with the top down on his scout II. I'm getting the fever. It was nice of him to come visit

oneof3k likes this.
  13. WireGeek

WireGeek Farmall Cub

On my hood, the pin has a little adjustment as well. There should be a nut and washer against the hood inside the spring. Loosen it and you should be able to move it just a bit.

14. WireGeek

WireGeek Farmall Cub

upload_2020-5-29_8-21-3.jpeg

Looking at the hood pin location, you will notice that it’s slotted. Hope it helps!

Belltownbikes, Jrc55 and oneof3k like this.
  15. Jrc55

Jrc55 Farmall Cub

Whoa thanks! And that's a beautiful rig!

WireGeek likes this.
  16. Jrc55

Jrc55 Farmall Cub

Well, after a marathon session of driving, I picked up my next project. J.J. saved this one from the crusher and was gracious enough to hold it for me until I could get down there. I had a blast visiting J.J. and his garage of beautiful Internationals!

He's quite a character and a passionate person so I feel that we hit it off well. As soon as I looked over and saw the guy standing there in his yard, I knew it would be a good visit, lol. Thanks, J.J. !

We pushed the new scout off the trailer.

My dad, "We should lower it off with a come- a-long"

Me: "Nah, how far can it roll with the tire off its bead?"

The answer to that question is 70 feet. 70 feet at terminal velocity and into that maple tree is how far it can roll

I'm already negotiating for full quarters, doors, and fenders so I'm pretty excited about that. She's really rough, but the front half isn't so bad.( The scout. Not my wife)
    IMG_20200530_182658_654.jpg IMG_20200530_001606_400.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  17. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

How far can it roll???....Haha indeed..
    Reminds me of my 1953 Chevy truck..I was moving it out of dad's barn with the tractor..the truck rolled forward ,and the slack in the chain allowed it to come unhooked....how far can it roll you ask?....about 150yards..when it stopped the back wheels came off the ground about 2 feet..what stopped it...oak tree...
    2 feet to the left of the tree was wide open pasture...never fails

Jrc55 and vince konicki like this.
  18. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

How exciting!
    :banana::bananrap::banana::bananrap:

Jrc55 likes this.
  19. Jeff Jamison

Sorry I don't have as many parts for that one.Maybe you can hire Finn for a few weeks.I need to do that trip soon also.

MrKenmore and Jrc55 like this.
  20. Alex

Alex Farmall Cub

An 800 with a full floating rear axle.
    Gotta love it...

vince konicki likes this.