1977 Scout II body rebuild

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Jrc55, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

We have so much good information going on in these builds. The flocking, powder coating, delrin discussions, custom paint fender racks,...The list goes on and on. It's too bad they'll get lost in the mix soon. We have such a diverse group of talent. It almost warrants a section for NON scout related build hacks. The reason is, ALL hacks can be integrated into vehicle building.

Here is a little off topic project I built this week for the elementary school. So much can be integrated into the modular portions of the scout, Like the bead rolled and dimple die panel, delrin bushings and tube structures that swing for instance tire carriers, grille pieces, etc. etc. IMG_20200225_110717356[1].jpg IMG_20200224_161836236[1].jpg IMG_20200224_192706681[1].jpg
    IMG_20200226_120820325[1].jpg

I'm also trying to solve for the most efficient way to have roof access in a ribbed roof. The scout has a ribbed roof as well. Keep posting up the technical problem solving issues we come across. It's such good brain food for me. IMG_20200225_210828993[1].jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  2. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

That's a sweet seesaw...

3. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

Thanks, Greg!

I've been away from the scout for a while. I appreciate those of you that have checked up on me, it means a lot.

When I look at the scout, this is what I feel like... IMG_20200408_194927.jpg

It's hard to describe. I'm watching the clear coat shrink and look like crap and have put a couple of scratches in it.

I've bled the brakes, have the parking brake working, and the fuel system installed.

When I test fit the "show bar"
    after rewelding the front feet, and welding the seat belt threaded bungs, the rear feet of the roll bar were waaaaaay off, and the roll bar was leaning forward. I left two existing mounting holes in the wheel wells that I restored. There's quite a bit of "roll" factor when I welded them back in. That's what I'm attributing the change to.

I cut the rear feet or flanges and rewelded them. There are also backing plates under the wheel wells
    Talk about putting a roll bar in by yourself 5 times in a painted scout! Whew! I used ratchet straps to narrow the width when slipping it down in between the bedsides

I epoxy primed and painted it hot rod black...
    IMG_20200409_181253350.jpg
    I changed direction and decided to go 100% stock on the wiring I have a couple harnesses and my original dash harness was perfect. I poured fluid in, some gas down the carb and she fired right up and idled

Nothing fancy here. Strictly utilitarian and serviceable. I didn't buy much. just some of the hoses, gaskets and paint. IMG_20200409_180937027.jpg
    IMG_20200409_180903337.jpg

I installed the seat belts I ordered fromseatbeltsplus.com I really like the quality.
    IMG_20200409_162040042.jpg
    Threw the tailgate on by myself today too. I used a paint stand to mount it. These things really are just farm trucks. It's just my opinion, but these just aren't built to operate without being scratched in normal operation. You gotta be real careful with those tailgate straps... IMG_20200409_160156983.jpg
    Cleaned up the gauges, painted the indicator needles, polished the lenses, and flowed solder to tighten all the loose pins on the back of the gauges. Not throwing money at it, but trying to clean up and restore what is here and in reusable condition. IMG_20200409_181133867.jpg

TorqueMonster1 likes this.
  4. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Nice. I can see light at the end of the tunnel for you. :)

TorqueMonster1 and Jrc55 like this.
  5. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

WOW! The Social Distance has paid off.

JJ in TN

TorqueMonster1 and Jrc55 like this.
  6. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

Thanks, guys. I put a couple scratches in it, and am finding more paint flaws. I've just accepted the fact that it will be what it is, and I'm just gonna enjoy it for what it is

vince konicki likes this.
  7. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Welcome back Jim! Care to expand a bit more on your paint issues? For a learning perspective (for me and anyone else who follows along)!

I looked into those exact seat belts with the "vintage" hardware option. They seemed nice yet affordable! Current build will get the stock two point belts, but the next one(s) will get those or something similar.

Where's Scout sleeping now days; apparently not in your shop?

800bman likes this.
  8. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Shrinkage is inevitable, especially in colder climates. Just watch Seinfeld...

:1eye::1eye::1eye::1eye::1eye::1eye:

oneof3k and vince konicki like this.
  9. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

10. vince konicki

vince konicki Farmall Cub

Looking good Jim. You are almost there.

Jrc55 likes this.
  11. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

You guys and your shrinkage. Good thing the weather is warming up for speedo season! lol
    Can't wait to catch up on your builds tonight!

Ed, I don't have any answers anymore. I let all that high build primer shrink for weeks, never let the temp in the shop drop below 72°, and sprayed those fenders and tailgate and they came out luscious. But now there's die back and more orange peel after letting those panels sit for a couple of months.

My body guy friend even says, yeah, you'll have that but stay away from that clear next time. That's too much change.

Scout is doing great. Took her on a huge camping trip last month and she was in the shop.

So, I don't know. Maybe a good cut and buff. I may run it this year, then next winter sand it down and reclear it again. We'll see

Sorry for sounding like such a negative Nancy lol.

This morning I put my Softopper on...one of the snaps was riveted on backwards. Overall it's the exact look I'm going for. Fits great too. It's hard bringing oneself to drill all those holes in the paint.
    I was worried, but it clears the show bar quite nicely and headroom is good
    IMG_20200410_074755825.jpg IMG_20200410_074827150.jpg IMG_20200410_080535275.jpg IMG_20200410_080302335.jpg IMG_20200410_074926115.jpg IMG_20200410_080626481.jpg

UplandHunter, Kohler, Jeff W and 2 others like this.
  12. Belltownbikes

Belltownbikes Farmall Cub

Looks great! Love the body color dash. And the top looks great too. Ours came with a top in a box, all folded up nice but we haven't taken it out to look at it. We have a "tin bikini" plan - we are redheads and topless doesn't work for us most of the time.
    I feel for you guys working solo - Finn and I have been installing and adjusting the doors and I have no idea how one would do that solo. That and so many other tasks. That's how the hacks get created though...
    Looks like you are down to the short strokes now - keep it moving! Bob

13. vince konicki

vince konicki Farmall Cub

Lookin sweet ! I take it the seat base height worked well ?

14. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

Thank you, Bob. Short strokes is a GREAT way of putting it! Those long days of block sanding are over. I hear ya on the doors. had mine on and off 10 times easily, and by myself.

Thanks, Vince. Yes Sir. Looks like there is more than enough headroom. I have one hole slot to be able to move the seat back as well

15. mfcerchiio

mfcerchiio Farmall Cub

I would try to use words to describe what you have done as far as the work but it would in my eyes cheapen the quality and effort of it. Cant thank you enough for all the aha moments of that is how you do it, now I know I am doing it wrong and have picture visual of how to do it right on scout. Thank you for all you have provided in the way of inspiration and knowledge to the less gifted at least in my case. That sir is one bad @$$ restored Scout

TorqueMonster1 and oneof3k like this.
  16. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

jim ..on your clear issues, were all your paint products from the same paint brand?...when I started my truck I had several paint people tell me find one brand and stick with them , start to finish..some brands just don't cooperate with other ones..

17. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

That's a good rule of thumb for sure. The answer is yes, and no. I used base coat and clear coat from the "same line". Axalta(formerly Dupont) basecoat and Nason Clear(owned by Axalta). So the formula is basically the same. Nason is more of an industrial and inexpensive clear Nason would be $150/gallon where The higher end may be $400 or more

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  18. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

[QUOTE="mfcerchiio, post: 1110779, member: 4317"]I would try to use words to describe what you have done as far as the work but it would in my eyes cheapen the quality and effort of it. Cant thank you enough for all the aha moments of that is how you do it, now I know I am doing it wrong and have picture visual of how to do it right on scout. Thank you for all you have provided in the way of inspiration and knowledge to the less gifted at least in my case. That sir is one bad @$$ restored Scout[/QUOTE]

You're way too kind for sure, mfcerchiio . Thank you for the compliments. I wasn't too worried about the metal work, but I was VERY worried about everything coming together with good dimensions and fit. I was also worried about the paint work. Everyone will proceed with the restoration slightly differently. I would've changed the order and process slightly but this is just a clean up of all the parts and I saved so much money doing it this way.
    The next major test is longevity. We'll see how long things stay nice.

TorqueMonster1 and vince konicki like this.
  19. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I used nason on my last 2 paint jobs...I was less than impressed with the color..but I cant blame it on the brand..I think it was the selling store that was the issue..
    I painted a blazer that was supposed to be dark green...iit looked like mt dew after spraying..they mixed some more,,it looked like John deer green...finllay just started adding black till it darkened up..
    My C30 was supposed to be dark red...same issue..looked like coke red...so added the black to it .
    Then if you remember what they did to me on this truck with the primer..oh boy..
    Like I said though..I think its more of a store issue than a brand issue..

20. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

Great to hear from you, I was worried that you fell off the face of the earth. We all go through our highs and lows, but remember you're an inspiration to everyone here and I think every single person that has followed your build has learned something valuable. Your step by step tutorials, ownership and documentation of mistakes, and things you learned along the way are invaluable.

It's demoralizing to put the first scratch in new paint. After I painted last summer I put my first scratch on while loading rusted old body parts to take to the dump..... that's right, I scratched my new panel and paint with an old piece I cut off and was throwing away.... it's like it was flipping me the bird one last time on it's way out. But like you said, these are trucks and if they're going to get used they're going to get scratched.

I'm also a guy that does 99% of everything on my own, but if you're going to get help with anything, get help with the hood. Trust me, tying it to the ceiling and trying to lower it slowly and get the hood bolts in isn't the way to do it.

Soft top looks great, thanks for the pictures. I'm considering one and that helps be visualize it. A pic or two with it lowered at some point would be appreciated.

Keep up the excellent work!