1977 Scout II body rebuild

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Jrc55, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

I'm just jealous of anyone with a full head of hair.

oneof3k and 800bman like this.
  2. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I was just thinking some Dapper Dan or Goon Grease would make that hair lay down..
    dapper-dan-deluxe-pomade_576x740.jpg Lockharts_Goon_Grease_Front_grande.jpg

800bman likes this.
  3. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

This is my actual drug of choice. Never leave home without it:laugh: Murray-sSuperiorHairDressingPomadePomadeShop1_450x450.png

800bman and Kohler like this.
  4. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

I don't know if it quite warrants an update, but it's the little things that you have to get done to get to the next step.

LECTURE:
    We all feel the way we do about certain things in life due to the experiences that shape us. I know that a lot of people are certainly more safety concious than I am. Especially since I'm running justjthe show bar with 12" of lift. But....

I've been in a lot of accidents. All at the fault of others. About one a week before this happened, I switched to 3 point belts. Watching your son hang in a seat belt in mid air, I know that the Good Lord was looking out for us. FB_IMG_1540388966483.jpg

These are inserts for the "show bar" seat belt hardware. They'll get welded in. My lathe tooling is Extremely crappy. Please forgive the awful finish I am NOT a machinist!
    IMG_20200218_201348002.jpg
    They'll get Tig welded in...
    IMG_20200218_201324084.jpg I drilled them using a 25/64 bit for a 7/16-20 for 75% threads, all the way through. That way, I could mount brackets on the rear for tie downs or other applications with minimal holes drilled throughout the body
    IMG_20200218_164059567.jpg
    Shop dog loves the soft lullaby of a gently humming piece of equipment...
    IMG_20200218_161828267.jpg I used one of those center bit thingies(official machinist lingo) before breaking out some high end harbor freight drill bit foolery... IMG_20200218_160103775.jpg
    When I get steel, I always treat myself and buy extra things like this 1" piece of stock...
    IMG_20200218_152503528.jpg on a side note, I went shopping for a bucket list item yesterday, but things are just so expensive these day(unless you're the seller, right?) I want one of these sooooo bad. Yup, don't ask...full camper conversion project to haul a dual sport out to Utah IMG_20200218_134250876.jpg

Belltownbikes and Kohler like this.
  5. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

wow...thankfully yall wernt hurt in the jeep wreck

800bman likes this.
  6. Belltownbikes

Belltownbikes Farmall Cub

Jim, I tried looking back through your thread because I know you mentioned it at one time, but could not find it. Do you remember the part numbers/specs of the steering u-joints? Or just point me at your previous post. Thanks! Bob

7. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    LECTURE RIGHT BACK AT YA:
    I can't speak to the unsafeness of a huge lift, but I can say that in most, if not all, of the pics with you doing work, your always donning appropriate safety gear. As one of the more memorable "teachers" here, that fact is just as important as the project work and goes a long way in my book. I hope others here notice that aspect of metal (and other) work. I can't stand seeing people pounding or grinding away without safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. LECTURE OVER!

Must be spring in OH or all the discussions of hair took there toll on some facial hair? (Hey, now that I'm banned from fowl, fowl dung, and fowl words, I have to think of something else to humor myself!)

The show bar inserts are another great idea that I'm going to have to "borrow". I would have just drilled a hole and run a bolt through it. Very cleaver.

Back some 40 years ago when I had a mildly lifted CJ5 with oversized tires, there were times I would be driving up or down a snow covered road doing 360s, not even on purpose. I never rolled it, but came awful close on a few occasions. I'm surprised I made it this long! Three point belts are the way to go.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  8. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

If you're talking the rag joint elimination most people go with these: https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/BORG-STRJNT-KIT.html
    I went with CCP as it's the same but cheaper. https://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/Billet_U-Joints/Billet_U-Joints.htm parts CPPUJ2, CPPUJ9 (this is for the 13/16 steering box input, which could be 3/4 for you), and CPP1850D

9. Greg Cejka

Greg Cejka Farmall Cub

Preach on brother. Nothing irritates me more than watching these tv shows with guys cutting grinding and welding with no PPE. As a highschool shop teacher about a quarter of my day is making sure kids have their PPE on.

oneof3k likes this.
  10. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

Greg, thanks man. A driver made a left turn in front of us in a 35mph zone. Thankfully, he wasn't hurt.

Belltown, I got everything from Summit. Although I do support venders when I can, I saved $50 by just ordering the borgesons myself. Be aware of spline changes for certain years. This fit my '77. This site won't let me load that specific pic for some reason, but you can probably get the numbers Kohler posted and order them like I did
    IMG_20181115_185110556.jpg

Ed, let me "one up" you and multiply that PPE rant by 10x. I equate people who don't use safety gear and those who use the "F" word 5 times a sentence as the same person.

I can't even articulate how stupid it is to fabricate without gear. I had a bunch of analogies in mind but I'll just stop here. How incredibly uncool and senseless is an unnecessary eye injury. I mean, you're not saving blondes or small children, you're grinding a crappy fluxcore weld on a hardware store scrap of galvanized, and don't get me started on cement blocks for jackstands either, lol!!!!! (Hope I didn't offend anyone!)

I always worked for corporations with strong safety programs. Clean shaven=annual repirator qualification two days ago.

I cleaned up the inserts a little more. As you can see, we have some SEMA welds done on the bottom of the tubes by owners previously.
    IMG_20200219_150143372.jpg IMG_20200219_164327500.jpg
    IMG_20200219_164621446.jpg

Love these belts from sealtbeltsplus.com...
    IMG_20200219_180537216.jpg
    Rewelded the base feet after checking squareness. There's some old school epuipment "Bondo" for the welds...
    IMG_20200219_193156086.jpg

Jeff W, Gioscout2 and 800bman like this.
  11. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Glad you guys are ok after that accident!
    I was using the wire brush side of my bench grinder a year or so ago - had on some safety glasses but apparently they didn’t fit as well as they should. A little bit of wire brush broke off, went through the gap at the bottom of the glasses and yep - into my eye. Fortunately it was very small. hurt quite a bit.
    The eye doc took it out and then took what looked like a Dremel tool to my eyeball. Not fun.
    Mind those gaps!

12. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

That's a great reminder, Rin. When I can, on heavy grinding jobs, I use double protection. But quite honestly, sometimes a quickie wire wheel job will just be safety glasses. Thanks for the reminder!

13. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    I mostly worked (emphasis on past tense) for companies with a safety culture that was more important then production, at least in theory. Mostly in the environmental remediation business. So I too had to get a respirator fit test and a bunch of safety-related schooling every year. Guess what, it is still in my blood to don a set of safety glasses for damn near everything I do.

Next to safety, my biggest challenge training new engineers and technicians was for them to pay attention to what I was saying instead of checking the score on some soccer match or looking at their Facebook account. I remember trying to help a particular individual learn to back up a trailer using mirrors (always wanted to turn his head to look). Told him several times to go hook up trailer X or Y, and just practice backing up in the 100 acre vacant field we were working next to. Never even tried. One day when we got back to the hotel, said person was trying to back up the truck using only the rear view mirror. Being the a$$ that I am, I moved the mirror so he would have to use the side view mirrors. Needless to say, I did hear from my boss the next time I was in the office.

Jrc55 likes this.
  14. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

yep...you can add me to the list of people that have had to have metal dremeled out of their eyeballs...no fun

Jrc55 likes this.
  15. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Very glad you’re safe as well!

Jrc55 likes this.
  16. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Hey Jr how about a couple of pics of that cool air filter system on that cart I see you using during some of your painting..

17. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

I detail that all out starting on page 17 with detailed pics. Let me know if you have anymore questions on that.

18. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

I can't believe I missed that :wacko:,, to focused on all the other work you have done..

19. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

No worries. I can't help you in the filters. I dig them out of the dumpster at work. They are intake inner air filters for 2000hp, twin turbine, 12 cylinder Ingersoll Rand engines.

20. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

Dumpster diving,,, that's not a bad thing,,, surprising what you see that gets thrown out.