1976 Scout II - Amateur Hour(s)

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Kohler, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

**Disclaimer** I'm no mechanic by any sense of the word. I can build furniture, I built a house and garage, but I haven't done much more than change the oil in my vehicles. Never welded before. That doesn't change the fact that I have a Scout II on blocks in my garage half torn apart. The build threads here have been invaluable to me but I wasn't going to start one myself. Everyone does such excellent work and I didn't want to showcase my mediocrity. But I thought about it, and if what I put here can show someone some information they were looking for (or maybe show someone what not to do) it would be worth it.

I had been looking for a Scout II for about 8 years before I finally found one locally last spring. I'm in eastern Canada north of Maine and they're few and far between up here. This one popped up online a couple hours away so I called the guy and went to pick it up the next day. Overall it looked great for a 42 year old scout in our climate with salt on the winter roads. He was a backyard mechanic kinda guy that seemed to know a lot about Scouts. It had sat for a few years but started up and drove (kinda). I took it for a test drive and it was scaaaary. All over the road, like it had a mind of its own. And it wouldn't idle. I bought it anyway and took it home. The first issues I had to take care of were steering and idling.

The idling was an easy one. Took it to a shop and they adjusted the carb and set the timing and it was good to go. Well, aside from the vacuum advance not working. The Steering took some research. Long story short the PO did a SOA lift without a cut and turn. So I figured I'd dive right in and figure it out. After a weekend of grinding, sweat, swearing, and beer I had it all back together with new wheel bearings and a new Z drag link. Drove like a dream after that. Unfortunately I recently realized that the pinion angle is incorrect (perches were welded on at the wrong angle by the PO) and I'll have to do it all over again. Anyway, that's a problem for another day. The current mess i'm into started as a body mount repair.......

The project:
    IMG_4646.jpg IMG_4658.jpg

Attached Files:

Tim Lohse likes this.
  2. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Scout looks good!
    One piece of advice I was told (After I did my body mount on my DS) is to keep the top on and take the door off. It'll help hold everything together.
    As long as you take your time when tackling certain tasks it'll turn out great. Also if you have any friends who can weld it's always great to ask them for tips on how to do certain welds. I wish I did sooner on my build.
    Overall cool scout! I can't wait to see what you do with it.
    For a correct SOA a cut and turn of the knuckles is best and also a high steer setup. Personally "Z" Bars to me seem a little scary.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

I took the doors off and also left the top off, probably not the smartest thing to do but the inner rockers are solid and I braced the door openings once I got the floor pans removed. And I took tons of measurements.

Some inner fender damage from a fender bender. Outer fender has lots of bondo...
    IMG_5201.jpg
    Driver side inner fender is in good shape. Mostly all the original paint on it.
    IMG_5199.jpg

4. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

The original mission was to weld in a patch on both sides of the mid body mount as they were both unsupported (which, as I learned, is why the drivers door wouldn't close with 4 people in the vehicle)... good thing the rockers were pretty solid. Some of the build threads were crucial to me understanding how this mount ties everything together. The more I cleaned it and dug away at it, the worse it was. The underside was rotted all the way to the center arch. The patch pieces weren't going to do the trick.

IMG_5153.jpg

So off with the floors to get a better look. This is where most people here would have taken the body off the frame. Me... I don't have the skills for that.
    IMG_5204.jpg

5. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

A touch of rust behind the rear quarter.
    IMG_5345.jpg

Nice patch on the arch there.
    IMG_5342.jpg
    Braced and supported as best I can to extract the center mount.
    IMG_5354.jpg

ScoutBoy66 likes this.
  6. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

The top of the rocker was in bad shape but the rest of it was surprisingly solid (except for the rear extensions). Figured I would cut the top off both sides and replace it with 14ga plate. Any guesses to how much dust and dirt can get inside a rocker in 42 years?

IMG_5335.jpg

7. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

8. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

8lb-3oz drivers side, 7lb-13oz passengers. Not counting what got vacuumed up.
    IMG_5451.jpg
    IMG_5409.jpg

9. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

i think im gonna enjoy your build thread...i like your sense of humor already...like you, i got into this without nearly as much knowledge as I probably should have...but i enjoy the reading, learning, and doing (then redoing) projects...best of luck!

TorqueMonster1 likes this.
  10. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

Yeah, I've already done a bit of redoing. For me patience is key. It may not come out pretty, but it'll be rugged.

TorqueMonster1 likes this.
  11. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

I wasn't expecting to do the front cab mounts, but since I'm in this deep and they're not exactly pretty looking.....
    IMG_5333.jpg
    IMG_5334.jpg

12. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

The one on the left I ordered from the 'interweb'. For the one on the right I had a ventilation shop bend the 2 pieces out of 16ga sheet metal and I welded them together.
    IMG_5420.jpg

jeff campbell likes this.
  13. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

After...oh, I don't know.... 8 hours of placing the mount and wedge, measuring, taking it out, adjusting, measuring, putting it back in, taking it out, trimming, and putting it back in... I think I got it in the right spot.

IMG_5421.jpg

14. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

Now to surgically remove two dogs legs... Not nearly as bloody as I expected.
    IMG_5405.jpg
    IMG_5406.jpg

IMG_5441.jpg

CoopVA likes this.
  15. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

To extract the center mount it required the floor pans to be removed and the spot welds drilled out where the bed attaches to the top of the mount. Then I cut a few inches down the bed on each side so I could prop it up to cut the mount out.

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

16. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

I had it cut in into 3 pieces to get it out. Then tacked it back together to use as a template to make a new one.
    IMG_5378.jpg

IMG_5380.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg

17. sabercat

sabercat Farmall Cub

welcome

im in Nova Scotia if you need anything contact me

18. 77GlacierBlue

77GlacierBlue Farmall Cub

Looking good. I'm replacing the rockers (inner and outer), floor pans and front and rear center body mounts on my 77 right now also. I had to redo my rear center (step) body mount a couple times because I didn't put the doors back on until I had it all welded up. I fabbed my own partial step body mount. I went to put my rocker on and realized I wasn't level. Put the doors back on and the problem was much more apparent. So if I could offer any advice it would be to make sure you check the fit of your doors every now and then as you make progress.

19. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

I could use a rust free scout at a reasonable price.... But if i'm going to be realistic, I'd like to find a tailgate (I see one listed in Sydney but that's a ways away from everywhere). Mine looks okay but it's got a fair amount of filler on it and a lot of loose rust on the inside. And someone got hammer happy on the spindles, if I could find a decent pair I'd buy them.

20. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

And if you need anything picked up across the border I'm down there all the time.