1975 "Heavy 200" tow truck...

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Thats the way they did the heavy trucks with dual wheels,they used the older frame,it should be drum brake front end with closed knuckles.The seat could be changed to a 69 to 72 to lower it some,scout rallye wheel will bolt right on,but they are tight on bigger bodies,thats why I like travelettes and travelalls you can move the seats back.When hunting most parts for the drive train they will be the same as a 73.What rear end does it have in it,I would probably look at changing to 4.10 if you are going to use it.
    Jeff

2. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

What is it...an RA-somethin?...not a Dana 70. At least according to the PO. I put about 6 miles on it and the 4.88s are painful! Likely will not change em, though...too much trouble and money to swap in both axles. Needs bigger tires to look better anyhow.
    Thanks for the expertise on the early frame! My D knowledge is very lacking, but it is getting better!

3. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

Yeah the late heavy trucks share the older parts. The '74 200 brandon and I made a wrecker had all the same things as the earlier D series trucks. Whenever I ordered parts I looked them up for a '71 1310 4x4... But just throwing some vynal stickers and some vintage paint doesn't require year specific stuff!:tt2: its a RA-15 rear and probably a dana 70 front. I swapped a 3.73 geared d70 in the wrecker and the 345 had no trouble dragging junk home at highway speeds. Heck with 4.88s a 196 would move junk around your place with ease!

4. Brendanxl

Brendanxl Farmall Cub

Yes, the later 200 1 tons/duallys are pretty much the same as the early 1310 D's. It should be RA-15 rear with 4.88's, with a Closed knuckle Dana 70. If you want to keep the RA-15 the highest gear ratio you could swap with is the 4.30's from the single wheel trucks/2wd trucks.

I still haven't seen a single wheel 1310 4x4 yet.

5. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

My friend bought a 1310 single wheel truck. It had a bed on it with a wrecker body mounted in the bed. It was a 392 5 speed direct with the ra15 and a single wheel d70. The truck bone stock had 35s on it and they looked small!

6. Mike Moore

We exercised it a little bit today, and moved a couple things around on the lot. It works! I also went ahead and spent my lunch time on painting the name on one side...gotta make it look good for pictures, ya know!:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And because "NOT FOR HIRE" is soooooooo generic:
    [​IMG]

7. Four Paws

Four Paws Farmall Cub

Did you freehand all that? Looks pretty sweet with the lettering on the 'well worn' truck.

My favorite part is (what appear to be) the expanding foam in the rocker/cab corner...nice!

8. Mike Moore

Yeah, the expanding foam is part of the "previously loved" thing...lol

I cut a mask for it on my vinyl plotter, then dry brushed it.

9. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Man I knew vinyl was involved lol!!! Looks great mike.

But you can swap in Dodge Dana 70 gears into it. The PO had 4.10's swapped in my Dana 70 he installed in my 1210. I still have the axle saving it for another project. But not really worth it unless you DIY and the gears were cheap.

You could always do a late model dulley swap. Most the GM axle are pretty cheap and little more than moving pearches if you get a real late model unit.

10. bdgn01

bdgn01 Farmall Cub

Mike, that's brilliant, and as an aficionado of old signage, it looks fantastic. I think you are officially keeping it.

11. Mike Moore

Thanks, Bill. It's too far gone to salvage and be safe to drive...unless I score a cheap cab, and I am working a few leads on them. Either way this cab is junk...but you bet I will have one of these doors hangin' in the shop!:yes:

12. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

The love affair deepens...

Hey, it's OK. We have two Scouts :D

JJ in TN