1975 Half Cab Scout II Build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Paulthescoutman, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Paulthescoutman

Paulthescoutman Farmall Cub

Hi everyone I'm not new to binder planet (I've also attended a few SEBA meets with my dad) but I haven't started a build thread of my scout here despite having had it for around eight years now. I will try to go through everything I've done in order but to start off here's a picture of when I got it for $400 dollars in eighth grade and a few years ago which was the last time I was able to get a lot of work done on it. Its a 1975 Half cab Scout II that started its life as a state truck (or at least we assume due to the yellow paint that's under the crappy blue paint and the three holes for lights in the roof that were filled in with bondo) and was a barely running farm truck by the time I found it. Now before I get too carried away on here I need to quit procrastinating the wiring.

Attached Files:

MrKenmore and TorqueMonster1 like this.
  2. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

Hello! Looking forward to following your project. I’m guessing you’re around 21 years old. I’m thrilled to see someone from the younger generation showing interest in old classics, especially IH & Scouts!! Keep us posted as often as your schedule allows. AND, we sure do enjoy seeing pictures of your progress.
    Best of luck! Mark

3. Paulthescoutman

You hit the nail on the head. I just turned 21 in May. I am currently a college student at Appalachian State going into my senior year. Unfortunately that means work my scout hasn't happened a lot the past three years as it was 3.5 hours away, but my dad (and my scout with him) moved about an hour away from App so hopefully I'll find some time to sneak down the mountain and work on it some.

4. Paulthescoutman

To start off with the story of my scout I'll Have to go back to Christmas break of 8th grade. We heard through a man at our church that a farmer friend of his was selling his 75 Scout II. He knew that we might be interested thanks to my dad's blue and White Travelette and I'm sure he heard about my older brother's Jonnie Reb that has a very interesting story behind picking it up (Here's a link to that but look up project Johnny Reb by David Miller if that doesn't work: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/project-johnny-reb.91784/). So as soon as school let out my brother, dad, and a very excited young me drove out to get it with my dads travelette and a uhaul trailer. What we found was a light blue half cab scout with rusty floors and rockers and a bed floor that was basically not there but it ran... kinda. It had 304 with a 727 automatic transmission, no power steering, bench front seat that was tan and duct tape colored, a single speed transfer case and at some point someone welded a giant piece of angle iron to the frame for a front bumper (small trees stood no chance). But I will still say for $400 it was a great start to a project for a father and son, and if we would quit picking up other projects it would probably be on the road today. For the next few months I was able to drive the scout around in the yard but it would shut off and not start again after ten minutes. While I had loads of fun driving it ten minutes at a time we eventually decided that the engine just had too much carbon build up or something and really just needed a rebuild. Lucky for me My dad had another 304 from a running truck laying around and pulling the engine started what I will call Phase one of my scout build. (p.s. I'll do my best with pictures but I've had several phones over the years and my computer died last year so I'm having to really dig to get pictures)

Attached Files: