1973 Scout II build, LS swap

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by supercrouton, Dec 10, 2018.

1. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

IMG_7564.JPG IMG_7435.PNG Hello all! I am new here, but not new to building. My last IH was a daily driven (9 years) '50 L110 with a LT1 and T56 trans. This thread will document the '73 Scout II my son and I are building. We've spent the last couple months getting some basics buttoned down and putting test miles to basically get to know where we are starting. Right now the front axle is out to both upgrade to a D44, change the ring and ratios out from 3.31 to 3.73 since the 4.2 I6 is coming out and a gen III 5.3 LS is going in, do a cut and turn, and of course replace all old; bearings/seals/ball joints/rod ends etc.
    Our goal is to turn this Scout from the neighborhood tweaker, looking to throw itself and its occupants into every ditch we pass, into a more civilized daily-driver quality 4x4 capable of trails with cross country interstate trips in between. In addition to a full mechanical upgrade, it will be getting typical rust repair and body/paint so it will be easy on the eyes when finished.
    So far here is what we've found mechanically wrong: broken passenger locking hub, missing passenger axle needle bearing, over-tightened output adjuster on steering box, over-torqued ball joints (super-stiff knuckles), broken distributor base flange (how?). Looks like the previous owner substituted a 3lb sledge hammer for a torque wrench :no:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  2. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Cool build plans. Right now it looks as she sits like them tires would rub like crazy on anything more than a flat road.

3. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

You are correct, there definitely needs to be more clearance there. I am planning on a RC 2.5" lift. The snubbers are only 1.5" from contacting the front axle, so I know the stock springs are beat.

4. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

IMG_7775.JPG
    Before blowing the front end apart I got an alignment to get a hard number to start with for the cut and turn. Caster was -2* , this explained the crackhead-like street manners. I'm planning on +6* caster. What have you guys found is a good number?

WESTsideVEGASscout likes this.
  5. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

I put +5* caster into mine after it was all bolted in and tight with engine etc on it i think i'm more near +4*.

6. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

How does it handle at +4*? Have you confirmed that number with an alignment?

7. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

No not by alignment but only with an angle finder. Made both sides match.

All you need to set the caster is an angle finder on the flat surface of the C's.

Oh and she's far from road worthy.

But the guys at IHPA said 4-5* is plenty.

8. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

IMG_7878.JPG IMG_7879.JPG IMG_7884.JPG
    The front hubs are cleaned and painted and joined with the new rotors. The spindles are pretty beat, removed last time apparently with a chisel and hammer. I'm beginning to wonder if the PO's tool kit consists of a chisel, 3lb hammer, and a bad memory. This side was also missing the needle bearing. At least they matched left to right :no:

9. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Get jeep cj dana 30 spindles from 4wheelparts.com cheaper by far than scout listings but you'd have re drill the pattern.

10. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

I've got a complete D44 front axle coming so I plan to use the spindles on it, assuming they are in better shape. The spindles off the D30 can be cleaned up, I already did one, but I'm hoping the D44 has nicer ones.

11. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

IMG_7895.JPG IMG_7896.JPG IMG_7897.JPG Outer knuckles blasted, painted, and ball jointed. I was expecting more drama with all that I've read about scout II ball joints, but it went surprisingly smooth. I used a hydraulic press with some cups I made out of some scrap bits of pipe and round stock. They all move as they did right out of the box. The ones I removed however were super stiff; the knuckles were extremely tough to turn. I'm guessing the po was a card carrying member of "Team Ramrod"

CoopVA likes this.
  12. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

The used Dana 44 showed up so I got it torn down, cleaned and painted the axles, and installed new HD u-joints. The spindles were in better shape than the ones out of the D30 and actually had their needle bearing intact. Also, I picked up the LS drivetrain yesterday. Cut and turning the knuckles is happening now. I got one of the knuckles off without too much drama. The plan is to put the axle back on with the +2.5" springs, put the weight of the truck on the axle (jackstands) and press that one knuckle back on with a verified +6* of caster. This should assure the desired caster when everything is back together. I'm leaving one of the knuckles on so I will have a reference point on camber and depth on the removed knuckle. Once the loose knuckle is welded back on, I can just mirror the specs on the second knuckle. I've got a true trac ordered for the front, so will be checking the lash and gear mesh of the stock setup before removing the carrier and pinion so I can clean/paint this pig.

Axle: Before
    IMG_7932.JPG
    After: Spicer 5-760X u-joints were installed on both axles
    IMG_7934.JPG
    IMG_7936.JPG
    IMG_7924.JPG
    Below: The worn out stock springs are still on in this pic, RC 2.5" ones are going to replace them.
    IMG_7914.JPG

1EyedTanker and jmait769 like this.
  13. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

Cut and turn is complete.
    IMG_7942.JPG IMG_7943.JPG IMG_7954.JPG

I also cobbled up an inner seal installation tool since I didn't have a 35mm socket handy. The 1" tubing fits into the piece in my hand so it should hold it straighter than a bunch of socket extension. I welded a slug on the end that will the hammer will strike so it doesn't get deformed. Next will be measuring the original gears, and setting up the truetrac.
    IMG_7953.JPG
    IMG_7952.JPG

14. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

The front Truetrac is here. I am excited to dig into this! IMG_7960.JPG

15. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Nice project. Welds look great on the axle. Almost looks like a "walking the cup TIG weld"

16. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

Thanks! But I'm not by any measure an expert at walking the cup. The stuff below is more my wheel house. This is what I do for fun. It's not a bunch of bolt on stuff, almost all of the bike below was hand made; pipes, tanks, saddle, bars, oil tank, foot rest brackets, license plate bracket, etc. More of my bike stuff is at www.angrymonkeymotorcycles.com
    IMG_7978.PNG IMG_7977.PNG AM-Gonzo_Fullsized-04.JPG

Here are a few other things I sorted recently. The first is a brilliant idea I stole from a member here. Using tamiya paint on the side markers.
    IMG_7946.JPG IMG_7948.JPG
    IMG_7949.JPG
    Below was fixing wallered out lower shock mounts on the front spring plates. Apparently this is a problem with these trucks, huh? They were too far gone to weld so I grafted in a 1/4" thick bit to replace the beat area. I almost forgot to take a before pic. The brackets have since been blasted and painted and the monroe shocks are where ALL monroe shocks belong..... in the landfill.
    IMG_7493.JPG
    IMG_7495.JPG

1EyedTanker, mlc8761 and Darrel like this.
  17. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

great work on the axles...im curious about your terminology when you say "cut and turn" ....what exactly is this?

18. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

Scout II are known to have squirrelly handling due to the fact that the Dana front axles have too little positive caster. Mine,like many others, had negative caster. Here is a link to a website that thoroughly explains the process for getting a Scout II to handle in a more civilized way http://cutandturn.com/basics.html

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    1EyedTanker likes this.
  19. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

Ok...makes sense now....I'd just never heard the term.....
    That's a good website...just the other day we were talking about how to narrow a front axle housing....that makes it look a little easier...

20. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

Well the truetrac is shimmed and in. To get a starting point on the shims I chucked both carriers in the lathe, without bearings, and used a couple dial indicators to measure the distance between the bearing seating faces. Turns out the locker was .009" wider than the original. With this info, I only had to remove one bearing twice to get it to shimmed where it needed to be with good teeth engagement, and .008" lash. If anyone needs a good used D44 carrier or two, let me know :yes:
    IMG_7991.JPG IMG_7987.JPG IMG_7986.JPG

1EyedTanker and BO185 like this.