1972 travelette 1310

Discussion in 'The Truck Stop' started by Omahaorange, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Omahaorange

Omahaorange Farmall Cub

So.... I bought a 8/71 (72 model year I believe, gotta get paperwork squared away). I have a few questions. Hopefully some people want to share their knowledge. It's a 1310, does that mean it's a dually or?
    Right now it has some 19.5 rims on the rear and the split rims on the front. I assume this is not stock.

The short stepside I'm unsure if it's stock ? We're 1310s built with a conventional bed step or fleet?

Has a 304 and a stick shift. Not sure if it's a 4 or 5 speed (doubtful)

Is there a tag on rearend for gear ratio?

Has two gas tanks with a gas hole in each fender,. Very weird. Is there any cool gas caps that are flat and say IH on them?

My goal for this truck is to use it as a truck and it has a fifth wheel hitch in the back of the bed. I have a f550 Hodges car hauler but I do get random phone calls to do 5th wheels. I am going to put a 7.3idi 5 speed in it. Looking for donor truck now.

Attached Files:

2. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

Cool truck-- I'd like to see more of that.

"1310" means 1-ton, as far as I know. Mine is indeed a dually.

That driver-side fender doesn't resemble the one I have with the factory fuel filler, so if that is a fuel filler, it's not factory to my knowledge. I can't really see what's going on there, though.

My wheels are stock, and they're 16" split-rims. The truck has a T-98 four-speed, and 4.88 or 4.89 gears, identified from the tag on the front axle and not remembered thoroughly.

Hopefully this is helpful. I'm not nearly as knowledgable as many on this forum, just relating what little I (think) I know.

3. Omahaorange

Omahaorange Farmall Cub

I looked on Google and other ih had the same holes in fenders. Not all tho of course.
    Spent the day cleaning out the inside I it I have to remove the seats to really get in there.who knows how many critters live in those seats.

I noticed the 19.5 rims on the rear fit great on the front. My thoughts are that with drum brakes and heavy rim/tire combo, might not be great. Really torn which direction to go. I put 16" dually rims in the rear and it's about 4" s out of the stepside. I wish they had a narrow dually rim set up to tuck it all in the step side fenders.

Other than that,enjoying staring at it in the driveway.

Attached Files:

4. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I would say it was a single rear wheel as it doesn't have the fender extensions and not the correct front hubs for dual type wheel.The only real way to know would be the line setting ticket.

5. Omahaorange

Omahaorange Farmall Cub

My personal opinion is that it's a single wheel rear end. I think in time it will become a dually but for now, I'm just gonna keep on learning my way through this. Spend the winter looking for the right truck for a donor and have fun with it. I currently have a Mercedes diesel in my 97 jeep Wrangler. So I will slowly collect all the parts for this build.

Attached Files:

scout2000 likes this.
  6. sdhachey

sdhachey Farmall Cub

It's a 1971 assuming still in original condition, grille is a sure sign of the year. As recommended, get a copy of the line set ticket (build sheet) to fully understand what you have. A 1310 was available in both single and dual rear wheel, different GVW, brakes, maybe some other differences. I would suspect yours to be the single rear wheel version. Good luck with it, seems like something worth saving.

7. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I know this is repeated a lot but didn't notice it mentioned here. A copy of the LST might be behind the glove box.

8. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

If you’re lucky— mine has been gone long enough there is no sign it was ever there.

9. Omahaorange

Omahaorange Farmall Cub

I will check that tomorrow. Found a couple ih trucks at jalopy jungle pick and pull. Getting odds and ends.