1972 Scout II - Project eBay Disaster

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by chopperroxie, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

It's Ben awhile since I checked in on this build. Awesome work. Makes me want to get another scout to work on..

2. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

Thanks ddedman, making progress little by little. This thing was so banged up and rusted out that I've replaced all the sheet metal except for the quarters, and it's debateable whether I should have gone ahead and replaced them as well. If I was to do it again, I'd get a complete body tub...or pass on this pos. But it's too late for all that...so onward and forward. :alucard:

3. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

ddedman, same offer I gave to chopperoxie. Since you live so close to me you are welcome to come work on my other Scout any time you like, free of charge. Chopperoxie still love the work on those doors, wish I had the expertise, Greg

chopperroxie likes this.
  4. CoopVA

CoopVA Binder Driver

That's some great body work Corey! You make it look easy...

5. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

Thanks Coop. With the impending snow storm this weekend, I will be holed up in my garage with my heater welding and hammering away. Gotta this thing done by summer.

6. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

So, I decided to bite the bullet and replace the passenger side quarter. I tried hammering it back into shape but it is beyond my capabilities, and I didn't want to slap on more filler to hide the mess. I ordered a new one from Roedel Bros. It's a really nice piece and it fit up really well. Not cheap, neither is the shipping but I'm glad I did it even though it pushes the budget a bit on this Scout.
    It took me awhile to find all the spot welds but after a few hours, they were all cut out.
    IMG_5435 (600x800).jpg IMG_5436 (600x800).jpg IMG_5437 (600x800).jpg

The inner panels were surprisingly in good shape so I wire brushed them and coated it all with Chassis Saver from Monstaliner. I also coated the back of the quarter panel and fitted it back up, and tacked it in.
    IMG_5438 (600x800).jpg IMG_5440 (600x800).jpg IMG_5442 (600x800).jpg IMG_5443 (600x800).jpg IMG_5444 (600x800).jpg IMG_5445 (600x800).jpg

I also got around to grinding down and prepping the front passenger fender that I bought from Barnes IH a few months back. Surprise, surprise, ended up grinding out a 1" of filler in some spots in the lower front portion. Looks like it was in a accident and someone drilled some holes and slapped some bondo on it. God, I'm tired of grinding out filler. I expected this, I guess, from my Scout, but not from an IH dealer. Should have inspected it more I guess, live and learn.
    Anyway, I welded up the holes and pounded it back into shape.
    IMG_5416 (600x800) (600x800).jpg IMG_5418 (600x800) (600x800).jpg

Onward and forward to more body work. The hood, windshield frame and tailgate are up next.
    Stay tuned and keep warm.

Attached Files:

MikeG. and CoopVA like this.
  7. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

Good work dude!

8. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

Thanks Mater.

9. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

I was going to tackle the Scout bed after I got the outside sheetmetal done and painted, but my buddy was able to get me some large sheets of thick metal from work and one thing led to another, some spring like temps and a air hammer and a few hours and I ripped the old Scout bed out. I'm glad I did this now since I don't think I want to be messing with this after everything else is in paint.
    Luckily the supports are still in good shape, just filled with dirt and rocks, so I'll clean them up and Chassis Saver them. I also removed the gas tank and supports, and ordered a new plastic 19 gallon tank from ebay. The old one's in decent shape but I don't want to take any chances, I'll replace all the fuel lines and such also.
    IMG_5456 (600x800).jpg IMG_5457 (600x800).jpg IMG_5457 (600x800).jpg IMG_5458 (600x800).jpg IMG_5459 (600x800).jpg IMG_5460 (600x800).jpg IMG_5461 (600x800).jpg IMG_5462 (600x800).jpg

This Friday I'll paint it and fit the new sheetmetal in. After that is in, if it's warn enough, I'm going to try to shoot it with epoxy primer and the outside too, trying to get it coated and start the long process of blocking it smooth, getting ready for paint.

10. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

Got the sheetmetal cut and fitted in. It was 2 pieces so it made it easier to manage. I got it spotwelded to the supports after I applied Chassis Saver to them and the underside of the sheetmetal, and seam welded it to the side panels.
    IMG_5492.JPG

One problem I ran into the gap between the back edge and the support. It slopes down considerably as you can see in this picture. Should I just bend it and spot weld to the support or put a filler between the 2.
    IMG_5490.JPG
    I haven't welded the front edge either, I should waited to line that ledge when I monstalined the front interior before. Now I'm going to have to sand it down and weld a edge in.

After I get these issues tacked, I'll coat the whole bottom with a liner of some sort. Maybe chassis saver and then a bed liner to protect it.

11. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

Well, work on the Scout has been really slow. I think it might have been a mistake to put a flat piece of sheetmetal as the rear bed. There's a reason the factory one had ridges. Between the sagging between the supports and the slight warping and such, it was real bear to get a reasonably smooth surface to apply the liner to. But in the end, it's doesn't have to perfect, between the rear seat, the spare tire and tools and such, it's not going to too noticeable. So I put some short hair fiberglass filler on, applied some seam sealer, and coated it with an epoxy primer.
    The weather has been pretty cool to do much priming so I may have to wait a few weeks before I prime the outside sheetmetal to start the bodywork, blocking and prep for final paint.
    Oh, and the big 18"x 18" cutout in the back side panel is for a killer sound system that my neighbor has planned. The sub and cabinet will be in there along with 2 9" rear speakers and 2 6" fronts and some tweeters in the dash. Can't wait for that!
    IMG_5534 (600x800).jpg IMG_5535 (600x800).jpg IMG_5536 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_5537 (600x800).jpg IMG_5538 (600x800).jpg IMG_5539 (600x800).jpg IMG_5540 (600x800).jpg

Let's hope for some real spring temps to get this Scout project moving.

MikeG. likes this.
  12. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

The temperatures here in PA have gotten quite a bit warmer and it's time to get cruising on the Scout. Me and my daughter got the rear bed area monstalined on Sunday. It came out really well I think. I also got both rear quarters in epoxy primer and will work on the doors and fender areas to get them skim coated with filler and ready for blocking.
    I'm looking to get this ready for paint in June. My initial color choice is called Copper Sunburst Metallic by PPG. I'm also think of flat black or a matte gray for the top and grill and wheels. I really like that color combo so I'll get some test paint and play around. But for now...more filler, sanding, primering is in my future.
    IMG_0015 (598x800).jpg IMG_0021 (598x800).jpg IMG_0022 (598x800).jpg

13. MSUBulldog

MSUBulldog Farmall Cub

Loving it!!![​IMG]. This guy is coming along very slowly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grant

Testerdahl likes this.
  14. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

That is looking awesome, Grant. I love the color and the stance. Good job.

15. MSUBulldog

MSUBulldog Farmall Cub

Thanks Chopper. I'm going to have SS type black stripes on hood and the lower part of the door and rear corner panel will be black with the word SCOUT in the black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grant

chopperroxie likes this.
  16. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

That's a great idea. I was tossing around some ideas on stripes on mine. Not sure yet. I like the idea of the SCOUT painted on the back. That would be cool

17. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

I got a little more done over the weekend. I wanted to see how the rear seat would look, but since I removed the floor, I don't have the holes for the seats to line up with. If anyone can help with some dimensions for the 6 holes?
    IMG_0030 (598x800).jpg

I also removed the drivers side door again and the fender to rust proof the inner fender area. I used Eastwoods Rust encapcolator. I then installed them back on and aligned them and added some filler help with the alignment and door gaps. I did the same to the other side.
    IMG_0025 (598x800).jpg IMG_0029 (598x800).jpg
    I also installed the tailgate again and will work on the gaps for it too.
    IMG_0033 (598x800).jpg

Next up is hood. It's in pretty good shape so I just need to get it aligned. I'll then put a coat of Slick Sand primer/surfacer on and start the tedious task of block sanding to get the panel smooth. Looking at a mid-June painting. Lots of work before then though.

18. Cowtron

Cowtron Farmall Cub

Coming along! I'm just getting ready to dive into the rear bed repair, myself. Hoping to not have to replace the whole thing, but seeing your post about the flat sheet metal may possibly save me some headaches if I have to go that route. I've seen some guys use a thick diamond plate that seems to do the trick, but I can't imagine that stuff is light or cheap. Do you know about what gauge sheet you used?

19. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

Cowtron, it was 14 gauge. If I had to do it again, I would have gotten thicker metal, or used that diamond plate, like you said. I ended up using 3 gallons of short hair fiberglass filler! And 1 gallon of the lightweight filler, and then the primer and then the monstaliner. It seems plenty strong, and it's not like I'm going to be loading lots of stuff on it, but still.
    Looking at your photo's, we are doing similar work, nice job on yours so far. Good luck with it.

20. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

So I've been busy getting the Scout in primer. I put all the panels back on and aligned them as best as possible. I applied an initial couple coats of PPG shop line epoxy primer a few weeks ago. I've been putting skim coats of filler especially around the door gaps since that was my biggest problem areas. I still have some gap issues but at some point I need to realize that this was a glorified farm truck and call it good. :1eye:

IMG_0001 (600x800).jpg IMG_0002 (600x800).jpg IMG_0003 (600x800).jpg IMG_0004 (600x800).jpg IMG_0005 (600x800).jpg

Next step is sanding everything with 220 grit and applying more epoxy primer over the bare spots and filler. Then I'm going to spray 2 or 3 coats of primer/surfacer, probably Slick Sand, over the entire body and start the fun process of block sanding. I'm still looking at beginning of July for color, we shall see.

Attached Files: