1971 scout 2

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by Michael1971, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

Hi, I'm pretty new to scouts and last August I ended up seeing one and falling in love with it. After some further investigation I found out it was built a month into the first scout 2 production year. It also has a 232 engine and a cab top with a bench seat.
    Just before I started to take it apart with the intention of bastardization I realized that everything is original even the wheels and hub caps, and it has the original line setting ticket taped on. The only obvious nonoriginal thing is a blue tail gate on the green scout, it has lots of dents and a fair bit of surface rust but no rust holes just a crack over the rear fender other than that it is in very good condition. All mechanical parts work perfectly, good heater, choke, throttle, lights.
    I was just wondering if it would be a better idea just to sell this one and buy another less important one in the future? Or is it insignificant and I should just work to make it my own. Like I said maybe this is a very stupid thing to say/ask or maybe it is a valid point, thanks for any and all replies. 20181105_103322.jpg

Attached Files:

Brandon B likes this.
  2. Scott L

Scott L High Wheeler

My $0.02. Since you posted a pic of the VIN plate, it answers the question I was gonna ask. My understanding is the first production scout II’s were actually called “810’s”. If your VIN plate had shown that, I would have voted for keeping it original for sure. But since it doesn’t, I vote go where you want with it. But I would keep it original or at least keep it to where it could easily go back to original.

3. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

The only spot that it will actually say 810 is in the glove box with the load specifations, which mine does

4. Scott L

Scott L High Wheeler

Then I would keep it as is. May not mean much to some people, but somewhere along the line someone will appreciate having an original 810!

5. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Can't believe I didn't see this earlier! Love those early ones!!!

Yours is quite a ways into production. The first production Scout is G447268, which was built April 19, 1971. There are some preprods in the G425XXX range. Because the G numbers were assigned to everything produced at Fort Wayne, the roughly 8500 difference between it and yours doesn't reflect actual Scout production. We know G447267 was the first because it has line sequence number D1. Your G445795 has line sequence number D3985 indicating it was slotted to be the 3,985th Scout to roll off the line. Generally, the line sequence numbers are an accurate representation of production. VINs are not always sequential on the line , but the LSN is usually a very accurate way to predict when something rolled off the line, with only a small error possible for a few cancelled or delayed LSNs. From what I have seen, they weren't building Scout IIs at a rapid pace to start. I have seen numbers here and there but when I average, it's probably around 100 per day. If I had to guess, I'd say yours was built in the middle to late part of May. Ordering a copy of the factory copy of the LST will provide a lot more detail and the production date.

Love that Frost Green paint!

Also, my vote is to keep it intact and original. I'm sure nobody is surprised at that!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Michael1971 likes this.