1970 Aristocrat – "Krats" the Earl of Chaparral

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by jmait769, Mar 8, 2018.

1. moparmike72

moparmike72 Farmall Cub

This rust free of a scout is what dreams are made of. I thought rust was the standard option from the factory. Sad to see the 69 go but excited to watch krats get his turn

oneof3k likes this.
  2. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Thanks Josh! Plan so far is frame off, definitely stock restoration much like the day it rolled off the assembly line, with no major mods. Should be quicker than the last build! :lol:
    Yes, pretty excited to get started Mike! I’m getting some help in the garage this time from the better half. Funny after the 69 sale, wrenching in the garage is no longer a bad thing!! :laugh: Started pulling the interior out. Removed the mat covering the back cargo area which protected it pretty well but still some surface corrosion to deal with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plan is to get the body off the frame or close to it this weekend!

800bman and oneof3k like this.
  3. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Well, I only know of one Scout that is NOW as rust free as Kratz, and that has taken some 2-1/2 years to get too! (That's not true but it sounded good). Glad that you're going to get some help; sometimes, but not too often, I wish I could get the boss lady to help.

Can you tell me what the 1" diameter hole in the PS floor pan is for? I asked that question but no responses.... It is away from the fuel line fittings and I don't think there is anything else in the area below the floor pan?

4. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Lol! Had to set one rule - I’m the boss in the garage! :surrender: Not sure how long that will last but I have to admit her organizational skills are way better than mine especially with the bag and tagging of parts.
    Hmmm.....a mystery as I have only seen a plug in that hole! If I had to guess maybe a hole for the fuel selector on a postal Scout? I did a cursory search and found this pic of the left hand side of a postal Scout. Couldn’t find a pic of their fuel selector switch in either location so wondering what they had?

[​IMG]

Notice there are no small holes for the switch hold down bolts in this one. Maybe someone with a postal Scout could look. They would have to reroute the fuel lines for the switch in that location and it would be awkward to switch from under the seat but that’s my best guess! :cornfused:

More pics of that postal Scout: https://www.hotrodhotline.com/forsale/vehicles/international/scout/1969/listing/127326

oneof3k likes this.
  5. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Hello Jay,

I don't know if you remember when Davis Brown (db1115) did his '69 800a "Goldie" Scout. Specifically, his dual saddle tank setup.

In summary, he eliminated the switch, and just installed a line between the 2 tanks. He claimed that the (joined) tanks would equalize each other out, and that it never caused him any problems.

Anyway, food for thought. Enjoying your new build.

oneof3k likes this.
  6. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

It's a better guess then mine, but even if the Postal Scouts had a "bucket" seat on the right/driver's side, the seat would have to be slid fully forward just to access the fuel switch, assuming the orientation of all floor pan holes remained the same. I have no clue, but I'm guessing most had bench seats?

Perhaps someone here on your thread will chime in :yes: as the question on my thread did not get any answers :no:.

I'll wager a :beer: that that hierarchy won't last till Thanksgiving, let along through the end of next weekend !!!!!!!!!! Besides, we all (well, most anyways) know who the real boss is.

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  7. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

That is the location of Fuel tank selector valve. That's where it is on mine. Let me know if you need a pic? Looking sweet Jay!

8. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Someone needs to head down to southern NM and light a fire under someone's a$$ so he starts posting again. Please. Pretty please.

jeff campbell, 800bman and scout2000 like this.
  9. scout2000

I (+$WIFE) go to NM every chance we get. Not sure about inviting myself to a forum member house unannounced, but it would be awesome to meet somewhere and visit.

800bman and oneof3k like this.
  10. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

A little birdie told me there’s plenty of work being done, just no time to post it. Good things come to those who wait.... Ed lol

jeff campbell and oneof3k like this.
  11. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Where do you like to go in NM?

12. scout2000

Mostly to the northern parts. Looking for retirement land, up on the great divide, either in southern Colorado or northern New Mexico. Beautiful country. And narrow gauge ( 3' ) trains.

800bman likes this.
  13. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Yeah, that's what THE little birdie told me too a while back. But I can't wait. The suspense is killing me!

800bman likes this.
  14. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

What about you Ed? Haven’t seen any updates from you really either lol

15. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

It's pretty hard to post about sanding and priming, and sanding and priming, and sanding and priming!

scout2000 and 800bman like this.
  16. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I’d still like to see

17. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

And show me up?

Wait, now I know what you're up to. Jay is paying you to post here so his page count goes up. :tt2:

800bman likes this.
  18. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Lol! Thanks for the nudge! :) Sorry I have been a little derelict in keeping this updated. After the sale of the 69 I did take a little break from “Scouting”. Upgraded to a newer motorhome which kept us away from home as we tried to enjoy it before winter set in, I still work, some more R & R, :laugh: and the usual life stuff that keeps you out of the garage. But work on Krats has been going on when possible! I have been check in on all the great builds and progress here on BP as much as possible.

Love the northern part of NM but hate the cold! Southern NM is pretty barren but hot in the summer, however - not at this moment!

[​IMG]

Jerry just shot me a PM.

scout2000 and 800bman like this.
  19. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I don’t think I’ll ever show you up, especially not on metal work I don’t have the patience.,,,

20. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

The body was lifted off and I have been working on the drivetrain and frame.

[​IMG]

I want to restore this one, as close as possible, to the day it rolled out of the factory so it is taking a little longer than I thought to disassemble. Nothing is discarded and each piece must be removed with more care than I did with the 69.

[​IMG]

Currently going through each axle and my plan is to get the frame, engine, tranny and transfer case to a complete rolling chassis before body work starts. Well maybe a little body work here and there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed the rear step bumper and was amazed at the class 2 hitch the PO managed to hack in! I’m lucky he made it a bolt on so no frame hacks and a bonus is the 40 pounds of ½” plate steel I now have. Talking with 800bman he noted that this was not usually a stock item on the Aristocrats and doesn’t appear on the LST so will replace that with the correct bump.

[​IMG]

……and Maggie and Daisy got a baby brother for Christmas – meet Scout II!! :)

[​IMG]

scout2000, oneof3k and 800bman like this.