1970 Aristocrat – "Krats" the Earl of Chaparral

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by jmait769, Mar 8, 2018.

1. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Ok finally getting around to posting our next build. We drug this on home last month from El Paso, TX.

[​IMG]

It was titled as a 1970 but the build date was actually 27 July 1969. Jim says the end of the line for the Aristocrat was in mid-August, so this one wasn't too far from the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a hard time with the name but in an email 800bman came up with it (he’s just finding this out now!). I was told by the PO that it spent over 20 years sitting in a garage in Chaparral, NM where he took possession of it in November 2017 hence the reference to this in the royal name. :lol: It still has a NM tag on it so I’m going to attempt to get some history from the DMV. Also, I almost passed up on this one when the owner accepted my offer but a big thanks to Bussy for giving me a perfectly timed kick further contributing to my addiction!! :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    scout2000, Bussy and 800bman like this.
  2. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Here are a few pics from the day we brought it home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does have the 304 V8 with the T-39 Automatic and all of the Aristocrat pieces are there. Not in the pics but I do have the mirrors and radio too. You know we like to take them for a ride before we start so that is what I’m doing now. Engine runs great (at least in the driveway) but still working on the rest of the drivetrain. You can read some of that here: Borg Warner T-39 torque converter help

I have brought a number of these home and this one is by far the best as far as rust free and all. There is some surface corrosion and some dings but virtually no rot and the original paint covers most of the floor. Trying not to let this one slow the 69 build and I’m headed out there now so will update this further here in the next few days.

scout2000 likes this.
  3. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

At least the VIN is easy to remember - 367368. Nice find my friend. Can't wait to see what you do with this one. Complete Aristocrat restoration and sell for high dollars at Barrett-Jackson or Mecum? Let me know if you need anything else for that BW11.

4. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Excellent find! It's in pretty great shape!

jmait769 likes this.
  5. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I’m already feeling like I made a contribution woohooo!

jmait769 likes this.
  6. ziggybock

ziggybock Farmall Cub

Jay, please, please tell me you will keep the wooden spatula shifter.... it's rarer than finding a hen's tooth:detective:

Congrats on this great find, it really looks like it's in great shape. Are you making to the off-road trip this April?

-Z

800bman likes this.
  7. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Congrats! It must be hard to keep things under wraps until you get the LST :clown:. And the PO must have lost his/her skull shift knob and had to settle for a lowly piece of wood (or maybe that's stock?).

I have no idea if the eBay link below is specific to Aristocrats or something else, but a chroming shop is sitting on a bunch of SWAG and selling the lot for a fair price. If these do indeed fit and some of your parts are in need of some loving, something to think about? My finders fee would be a Scout badge!!!!!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/chrome-par...427316?hash=item3a83729374:g:FhEAAOxyBLBR-WRr

800bman likes this.
  8. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

So cool! :beer:
    No body rot... I didn't know that was even possible... lol

Did the Aristocrat use the V8 emblems, or just the Aristocrat emblem?

800bman likes this.
  9. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Thanks guys! Tracy, I’m going to try and do this one a little bit differently. Instead of just blowing it all apart I’m going to work on each area that needs the most attention, get it as a solid driver, then we shall see. Right now my better half is, well, ready for me to sell something! :helpsmilie:

Z that shifter is a work of art!! :laugh: Can you guess where they got the sheet metal?

[​IMG]

The tranny cable is bound up and I have repair part from Tracy and Josh here or on the way to return it to stock condition. I promise if this was not an Aristocrat I would be replacing the tranny and shifter with something else!! I’m going to try and make the Bash but right now it is not looking good. Right now I'm trying to get the 69 finished but man I'm slow!!! :sweatdrop:

Thanks Ed! I looked at those parts and they look better than new! I don’t think all of those items are from a Scout however so would have to figure out what they are for. I could be wrong.

Scott, only looking at photos online and in the Scout Encyclopedia, I believe that it only had the Aristocrat and Scout badges no matter what engine they came with. No holes for the V's or the All -Wheel Drive badge!

Pic of the engine compartment I forgot to include.

[​IMG]

My Grandson is my new helper in training! He doesn’t mind getting greasy at all.

[​IMG]

Bussy, Kenneth Barber and 800bman like this.
  10. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Love the grandson pic!
    Let’s hope the shifter arrives today, I can’t believe how slow the shipping has been...

11. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

Jay, that is a sweet find. More than anything is all the small parts are there. That's why I changed colors on mine It didn't have the rack or rims but it has everything else. So, I pulled my LST and Best I can tell is mine was built the same day as yours? Ser.# 364487 invoice date is 8-27-69. Does that make them cousins?:cornfused: Or was it case of them being separated at birth? I guess I better leave that topic alone before I :dig::dig: in way to deep.

12. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Thanks to Bussy and 800bman for helping me with parts to complete the shifter! :thumbs up: They say it takes a village and, in the case of the ever elusive 800 automatic shifter as I have learned over the last week, you two have helped me out tremendously!! This pic is just a moc up. I’m going to take the shifter completely apart, clean it up, then reassemble with the good cable I got from Bussy. Hopefully this weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s awesome when your package arrives with some very cool Scout art! Bman, I think the mailman carried this around a few extra days showing it off which would explain why our package was a little slow!! :laugh:

[​IMG]

Also, thanks to Ed for the felts! Much appreciated!! :thumbs up:

[​IMG]

800bman likes this.
  13. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Awesome!! Was your roll date 27 Jul 69 or 27 Aug 69? They may be brothers!! :)

14. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I couldn’t resist putting a quick sketch on the shipping tube, I’m glad it gave you a smile! Can’t wait to see this Krat erected into a JAYMAIT style build.

jmait769 and Bussy like this.
  15. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

I can wait on this build if you'll just promise to get your butt back in the garage and get the '69 running and rolling. I want to follow that thing up the trails in April!!

16. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Lol!! I’m hard at it but I’m slow! :whip: Paint is killing me! I did get some gas caps for this one and have kicked it to the side. :hammer:

[​IMG]

800bman likes this.
  17. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Work continues on the 69 most of the weekend but I started to put the new windshield in and cracked it! :wacko: :hammer: Decided to take a break from it and work a little on Krats who has been patiently waiting.

After receiving some more shifter parts from Bussy (Thanks Tracy!!) I was able to combine all the good parts into one shifter and………..

We have a driver!!!

I seem to always get them running at dusk!!! :laugh:

Refurbished the neutral safety switch and while reassembling it I noticed something. Using the best of the parts from three switches I have it still was not smooth and would hang up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I figured out was the reverse light terminals staked in the plastic (circled in red) would push inward (all three housings) and prevent the copper slider in the white triangle switch piece from moving.

[​IMG]

If you force it you will break off one of the two tangs – yes I did! :( I used the best housing I had and put a small twist in the tang to prevent it from moving. Hopefully it will last!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    800bman and chris@profab like this.
  18. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Why are all your videos 4 seconds? We want a full cruise around the block.
    Glad you were able to use the shifter parts. That’s about all I had left after selling Jello Shot “with spare parts”. They took everything else.

800bman likes this.
  19. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Nice work detective Maitland!

20. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Lol! This one still needs some work before the ride around the block! I’ll work on my video skills as I usually get my hand in the way or cuss like a Sailor and have to edit all that out! :)
    :detective: :laugh: I found what I think could be a replacement for the 433059C1 OEM neutral safety switch but it is a little pricey hence the repair.

[​IMG]

If the repair fails, I will bite the bullet and order that one to test. Unless someone else has another OEM style option? :cornfused:

800bman likes this.