1970 1000D

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by RadoT'all, Sep 19, 2018.

1. RadoT'all

RadoT'all Farmall Cub

Ive just purchased my 2nd IH, and while I'm a new poster on this forum, Ive got an occasional build thread going on another forum. This one is a 1970 1000D pickup. Waiting on LST, but as it sits now, 345 (From a Scout II), 2wd, 8ft bed, and so far, minimal rust.
    Runs, Drives, Stops (Drums all around)
    Last weekend I changed out the tires/wheels, fuel line, filters, swapped out the electric fuel pump for mechanical and replaced the Carb. Might work on dialing in Carb a little and double checking timing (#8 cylinder, got it.)
    This pickup has IFS, which appears to be somewhat rare, or at least I'm struggling to find much information on it.
    Ultimate goal is to patch any cancer, clear coat, find the perfect stance, replace suspension with airbags, drive anywhere and everywhere!
    Of course I must include pictures, otherwise it isn't real ;) Ill also throw in a pic of my first IH, a 1967 Travelall. But this one is all about the 1000D.
    PO cut holes in the door panels and added wood accents to accommodate 6x9 speakers, :no: you'll see the pics.
    Made a trip to Coonrod's on Monday and grabbed some "really nice stuff" to start the transformation. Included in this was a new set of door panels, trim, tail lights, and rear quarter covers which I couldn't be happier about!
    Currently, Front Rt tire is rubbing one spot on the suspension or control arm, original wheel studs aren't long enough to accommodate small wheel spacers so I might need to work on the stance of this sooner than later. Definitely want to drive her!
    That's about all I know right now, definitely been some tinkering, but so far really happy with her! Just need to find more parking spaces at the house :stuart:
    IMG_0520.jpeg IMG_0532 2.jpeg IMG_0533.jpeg 00A0A_bNzJaAz8ms2_1200x900.jpg 00S0S_fBlGY0ZEKOq_1200x900.jpg Post Lift Small Tires.JPG

Cheers,
    Shawzee

2. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

The IFS like yours ran from 61-73 with pretty much the same parts. IHC has both the leaf spring straight axle ( 110/ 1100/1110) and the torsion bar (100/1000/1010) in the 1/2 ton models. As far as rare goes, probably not all that much. Would guess there was more straight axle 2wd pickups but there is a fair amount of IFS's too. Would guess more in the travelalls but......
    There's some IFS part numbers and sources here ( it's a little dated but should still be fairly useful) http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?forums/restoration-purists.71/

The original tires and wheels on the 1000's were pretty narrow. Fairly sure nothing with the stance of the truck would be responsible for the rub but the width of the tires or the offset of the wheels that are on it today might be . They look real good though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  3. RadoT'all

RadoT'all Farmall Cub

Thanks for the link Stroker! Also good to see its NOT as rare as I originally thought. Glad I don't have another "Curved Glass" situation on my hands! The tires and wheels on the pickup right now (Not shown in any of the above pics) I pulled off the Travelall. I believe the wheels to be the originals, but the tires were in better condition and the pickup is closer to being a driver. These are not the final solution, but a short term fix, understand the wheel offset and tire width are ultimately the root of the rub. Thanks for the insight!

4. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

Man I wish I lived close enough to Coonrod's to just hop over there for something :1eye: lucky SOB

5. RadoT'all

RadoT'all Farmall Cub

I definitely don't take it for granted! Coonrod is awesome and it seems like Im always finding more than I saw the last time! Let me know if you need anything specific, Im happy to take a look and help any way I can.
    Here are a couple pictures of the action from today. Got the entire interior ripped out and a quick cleaning. I should stop being surprised by the things I find during tear down of these vehicles... Per normal, this one has some PO wiring additions, as well as some other items I wasn't expecting. Couple pictures of the progress and (some of) the findings. Think reupholstering the seats is next on the agenda, then probably want to prioritize this one with a rewire. Any advice on that? Ive never done any electrical work, Ive see the Painless and KwikWire kits, but not sure if Im ready to tackle that myself...
    Cheers!

IMG_0549.jpeg IMG_0552.jpeg IMG_0563.jpeg IMG_0568.jpeg IMG_0566.jpeg IMG_0567.jpeg IMG_0564.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    74binder likes this.
  6. 74binder

74binder Binder Driver

That cab looks super clean. The door panels look mint too.

I'm curious what you find on the wiring kit. I'm thinking about rewiring mine rather than reusing the stock harness.

7. RadoT'all

RadoT'all Farmall Cub

Shame on me for not spending more time on this truck! Realized I haven't even posted the purty work Ive done on it... Still in the driveway, just not enough time in the day.
    Anyways, Got the front seat reupholstered, LST ticket came in. Currently have the wheels off to check brakes, replace wheel stud(s), bearings/grease, maybe tinker with Torsion Bars? (Bring her down!).
    Still having a hard time finding resources on wheels/tires/stance and rubbing. Got some helpful insight from Jester P's post, love his stance! But also found some OG Hub Caps and would love to bring them into the build. That means I might be working with 15's vs 17's. Anyways, heres a couple more pics and I will be better about working on it and sharing the updates!
    Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 10.09.42 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 7.55.27 PM.png

8. RadoT'all

RadoT'all Farmall Cub

Well, the promise of being better about posting updates was short lived. Sorry. Actually undergoing some movement with the job that has moved me away from Colorado. Pickup is still out there.
    I made a trip out this weekend and managed to find a few hours to dedicate to the pickup. (Crystal is her name).
    Got the wheel studs replaced and everything in the front end put back together, unfortunately I wasn't planning on working on her so I haven't replaced anything, just slipped it all back together.
    Regardless, found some smaller wheel spacers and managed to get her running an on the road a bit today. Only rub was on a tighter left turn. Still pretty exciting. Need to get a couple things dialed in, and do a proper road test but overall I'm pretty happy.
    With my relocation I'm considering whether keeping this is the right thing to do, but of course a little progress and another smile makes it such a hard decision. She is running, driving, not rubbing, stopping, still to high, but that can be fixed in a good day of work! Fingers crossed I can make it out here somewhat regularly and make time to tinker!