1968 1200C

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by Matt Tonn, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Matt Tonn

Matt Tonn Farmall Cub

Just purchased 68 1200C. Very clean/rust-free body. I attached a couple of pics of strange cracking in front of doors. My assumption is they are stress cracks from the door hinge system? Wondering how to approach the repair before painting. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

Looks like a previous repair. Rust is common in that area in that body style.
    Dean

stroker3 likes this.
  3. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Guess would be those fenders have a pretty decent rust issue. Someone did a nice job hiding it with bondo , fiberglass or whatever. That will peel down the entire panel exposing some things you're not going to like. I'll bet there's hidden rust above the headlights as well. As hard as it is to say, whatever was done to it is losing it's adhesion and you'll have to get all of it off to understand what you're dealing with. I'll bet there's more of it around the truck. Very rare to see the fenders go in that area while everything else like the cowl, cab corners, lower valance and floor boards are still holding up fine. Could be wrong but it'd be odd if everything else is rust free.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  4. George Yingst

George Yingst Farmall Cub

I agree. I don't think you are going to like what you find when you tear into that. I've also seen lots of these with the lower hinge pin rusted clean off.

stroker3 likes this.