1967 Travelall 4X4 1100B

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by coloroscout, Apr 27, 2019.

1. coloroscout

coloroscout Farmall Cub

Picked this up in Denver yesterday and drove it home to Redstone, CO. It ran really well over the mtn passes and I cleaned it up when I got home. Has a 345 with 68K original miles. Needs a headliner for sure, and I would like to consider some different options than the stock look...any ideas? it certainly has its body rust in the typical places. My thought on this is to spruce up the interior a little bit and either daily drive it or sell it after that...I dunno, I'm still working on my Scout 80 and thats a long ways out.. fullsizeoutput_1175.jpeg fullsizeoutput_117e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_117b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1172.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1178.jpeg fullsizeoutput_116f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1165.jpeg fullsizeoutput_116b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1168.jpeg 57809144460__11BCE515-B344-4414-9C1A-6F29BCEDFA3B.fullsizerender.JPG

Erik Morton, 'Mater and kdsmit like this.
  2. kdsmit

kdsmit Farmall Cub

Nice! Very nice!!

3. Alex

Alex Farmall Cub

I'd keep it - but that's just me.

4. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Nice looking truck. Interesting patina on the paint.

Here’s what I did with my headliner. I had all the panels but the plastic molding was brittle. So I adhered new foam backed material to stock panels and hold them up with thin wood strips. I added dome and reading lights. The rear most section I made flat out of foam so that I could install speakers.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coloroscout likes this.
  5. coloroscout

coloroscout Farmall Cub

Patrick thanks for the pic of your headliner, that looks really good! I really like your wood paneled dash inset too!! I really like the patina that this has and I am inclined to keep it that way and just do some improvements to the interior. Right now I am looking at weatherstrip kits to replace all of them, which should help a lot. Also I am in dire need of getting the rear window to work, cant seem to get the motor to run and/or lower the window, therefore unable to open tailgate. Im gonna put some bike racks in the back so I can transport to and from the trailheads with all my gear! Theres a guy in Bailey, CO (Coon Rod) that I need to go see also and trade some parts or pay for windshield, big ol crack on the passenger side. She sure is a hoot to drive, so far itll be my daily driver once I get some reliable windshield wipers, it decided to start raining a bunch today and I cant see squat! Another thought I had today also was to replace the leaf springs with either lifter springs or the CPT lift kit under it and put some 35" rubber shoes for her to ride on! Anyway, thanks again for the pic of your headliner!

6. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Cool! Yeah keep it for awhile and enjoy it.

Even with good rubber the wipers suck on these. On my to do list is swap the wiper motor out. The rear window didn’t work on mine when I got it but after cleaning everything, redoing the connectors and replacing the return reels (these should be available from the original manufacturer) its been fine for 15 years.

7. coloroscout

coloroscout Farmall Cub

Ok, soooo I love driving this rig and I am for sure keeping it!!! But now I need some advice on my direction. I have read a lot about different lifts people have done to these and what I have come up with so far is this from IHPA:

Rough Country 1976-87 GM REAR 52in. Leaf Spring w/ 6in. Lift
    Rough Country 1973-87 Front GM Lift Leafsprings w/ 4" lift
    CPT Front Shackle Kit for 1962-73 IH Pickup or Travelall w/ GM Leaf Springs

Then of course get the appropriate sized shock and give me the ability to run 37x12.50's

I realize that it wont be as simple as bolt on and plug and play, and that there will be some mods to make to fit everything....however am I on the right track of thinking and parts ordering to achieve the outcome of proper lift and tire size.

Heres a current pic of the status of the springs, clearly poor.
    fullsizeoutput_1182.jpeg

Heres the look and stance I am going for:

2071CC31-5958-4B4D-A88B-E97A46CD8A0A-315-000000667404C354.jpg

It will mostly be a townie pavement queen and a dirt road hunting rig so I plan to just run the stock axles and such. I have also ordered all new weatherstripping for the entire truck which should help a lot.

8. Baja rob

Baja rob Farmall Cub

Your spring heights are correct for the tires assuming, that you don't get carried away with wheel width, backspace/offset. You may find the front end will rub if your wheel choice is not correct. I think most of the time with that front spring set up folks go with 35ish sized tires.

The reason for the extra 2" in the rear is purely cosmetic from what i understand. The front wheel wells are much taller than the rears. With the extra 2" the wheel wells will look more alike. The rear springs actually will give you just a bit of rake if you go off the frame measurements.

Baja

9. coloroscout

coloroscout Farmall Cub

Alright after some investigation into the actual parts and pieces of this Travelall, heres what Ive come up with...

V345 V8
    T-35 5 Speed manual: 7.17 3.96 2.36 1.41 1.00
    Unsure on the divorced T.C. I am thining NP 202, I cant seem to find any info online or on BP with the numbers shown in the pics...if anyone can help ID this TS, please do!
    F/R axles D-44's with 4:09 gears
    1100B 4x4 VIN: 783107H706137
    Net HP at 4400 rpm is 180
    Max HP at 4400 rpm 193.1
    GVW 5600 lbs

Does this all sound like a standard set up on a 1967 Travelall I have been questioning whether or not it is stock...but Im leaning towards it is...any ideas?

Heres a couple pics of the transfer case that I cannot identify those are the only stamped and or cast numbers Ive found on it, I am still in the process of cleanup, so if some turnup I will add to the post?

fullsizeoutput_11e9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_11e0.jpeg

Heres another question I have, what do the numbers on this tag tell me about the radiator?
    fullsizeoutput_11f2.jpeg

And last but not least the vacuum line is not connected to the 4bbl quadrajet carb, should it be? Also, I know it can be hard to tell from photos but is there anything that you guys would make priorities when upgrading, maintaining, cosmetic, etc, etc on this engine? I am a total newbie when it comes to the entire IH world, building cars and especially mechanincal. I am doing research and learning as I go, which is great but some direction would help.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg IMG_1399.jpg
    I am leaving town for a month next week and I have decided to drop the T'all off at a local auto electrical shop to have them fix and find all the electrical problems going on, for instance: fuel, temp, oil gauge, tailgate window, no lo beams, no reverse lights, license plate lights, minor things really...

Thanks in advance fellas!

10. Baja rob

Baja rob Farmall Cub

One of the first things I always do is make sure the engine/drive train is able to turn. From there I replace every fluid in the truck. Don't forget to pull the gas tank and give it a good once over. Make sure there is no rust in the lines, replace all filters, plugs, wires, cap, coil, etc. When you pull the plugs look the condition of each one and note which cylinder they came out of. This can Help diagnose how well the engine ran. Also check and recheck all the brakes and steering components. There is nothing worse than getting a vehicle to run and move without the ability to stop and steer.

Baja

11. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

On the transfer case,its a 202(shift rails are above each other,205 are beside each other) the radiator tag is just the IH part number,the vacuum line looks like it comes from the distributer,yes it should be hooked up( people will hook to ported vacuum,some like me run straight vacuum) both will work.

12. Alex

Alex Farmall Cub

Your window could be a burned out motor, a jammed mechanism, or a bad safety switch. A lot of people forget about the safety switch, which prevents the window from operating if the tailgate is open.

coloroscout likes this.
  13. coloroscout

coloroscout Farmall Cub

Got a little work done on the interior just to spruce things up a little bit before I add insulation and a proper headliner. Looks better, although I ran out of paint so I will put a few more coats on when I return from vacation!!!
    Had to manually remove the tailgate window, thats another project to focus on when I get back is the electrical gremlins, but i had to get that tailgate open!! And I thought it was a cool looking photo with Mount Sopris in the background...ColoRADo!!
    fullsizeoutput_121f.jpeg
    This is a before shot and there was plenty of prep work between this pic and the next one.
    fullsizeoutput_1224.jpeg
    Used ACE Rust Stop "matte almond", I think it came out alright, it will look much better with some more coats and holds me over with a better looking roof until I install proper insulation and headliner.
    fullsizeoutput_121c.jpeg

14. tobylazur

tobylazur Farmall Cub

How do you get any work done? I'd just be sitting staring at the mountains all day long; that's an incredible view!

Erik Morton likes this.
  15. coloroscout

coloroscout Farmall Cub

Thanks we love it up here, but believe me most of the time there’s more “project conceptualizing” going on, which essentially translates to, drinking beer, BBQing and admiring the view, than there ever is work going on.

Erik Morton likes this.
  16. customtronic

customtronic Farmall Cub

Awesome looking truck!

17. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

I'm needing new dome lights for my 68 Travelall. Can you tell me where you bought yours at? Thanks.

18. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

Did you find out what was wrong with your back window? Mine has not worked since I bought my 68 T-all. My electrical was not working either and I re-wired all of it.

19. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Generic dome lights from e-bay many years ago. These weren’t even branded. I’m sure you can find something similar on amazon.

20. coloroscout

coloroscout Farmall Cub

Well unfortunately I may need to think about selling the travelall. Wifes going to nursing school and we gotta buy a tractor for the house. Wife said choose a project and I am choosing to see the 80 to completion. I am not going to work so hard yet on selling it, as its a hard thing to consider, but would give anyone on here first dibs, at least I would know its going to a good home. PM me if you are interested in more details or to discuss pricing and location.