1967 Loadstar "Big Onion"

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by TheCrazyFarmer, Jun 5, 2020.

1. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

There's no gear splitting. You have your low side and your high side. You go all the way through your low side progression, then pre-select your high range and go through the gear progression from the beginning all over again. So 1-5 on the low side and 6-10 on the high side.

2. TheCrazyFarmer

TheCrazyFarmer High Wheeler

Really? Isn't that how the modern 10 speed big rigs work?

I was pretty sure these ones went 1L-1H-2L-2H-3L-3H-4L-4H-5L-5H, not 1L-2L-3L-4L-5L-1H-2H-3H-4H-5H, but I could be wrong, which is why I asked.

I'm gonna test drive it today, and try it out. Get a little practice in before I start hauling with it.

3. scoutboy74

There are many different heavy truck transmissions. Some are just Hi and lo range. Some are hi and lo range plus the hi range gears can be split such as a 13 speed. Some allow you to split both the lo and the high range such as an 18 speed. But you have a five speed gear box with a two speed rear end, yes? To split gears, you need two levers or knobs on your shifter. One for lo or hi range selection and then one to split whichever range of gears can be split depending on the transmission model. I think in your case, if you try to split gears using your rear axle shifter, your onion is really going to get pissed!

4. TheCrazyFarmer

Okay. I think I may just be using the wrong terminology here. When I say splitting, I'm referring to going from low to high in each gear.

5. scoutboy74

Your terminology is fine. The process you're describing just doesn't apply to your truck.

6. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

I think what he's saying is "Don't Do That".

7. TheCrazyFarmer

I don't use the low gears? I'm confused. It has em, why can't I use em? Is it because I don't have the governor? If that's the case, I wish I had known about this before I bought a non governed carb. When I'm hauling a good 6 ton of hay, aren't I gonna need the low gears?

I just took a test drive, and it is the shifting order I suspected 1L-1H-2L-2H-3L-3H-4L-4H-5L-5H. The low gears were nice, because I could go up the steep hill in 3 lo, when I had to downshift to 2 hi when I was just using the high gears. 2 hi was a little to slow, but 3 lo was just about perfect.

I think the key from going from low to high, is not letting off the gas for more than a moment while you pull out the knob. If you take to long it doesn't like it.

8. scoutboy74

Maybe post a picture of your shifter. What I'm trying to tell you is I think you're making this harder than you need to. You have five forward gears on the low side. You go and use 'em all up, then range select up to high, come through neutral and shift into what was 1st gear on the low side. That's now 6th gear. 1/6, 2/7, 3/8, 4/9, and 5/10. The small numbers are your gears on the low side and the big numbers are your gears on the high side. Same shift pattern repeated for both sides.

9. scoutboy74

In case it makes a difference, I've been driving big rigs for a living for the past seven years. In that time, I've driven pretty much every transmission variation you can think of at least once. 9 speed, 10 speed, 13 speed, 15 speed, 18 speed, Super 10, Super 20. I've not driven a twin stick, but that's not germaine to this topic anyway. I've also not driven an old medium duty truck with a 2 speed rear like your Onion, but I believe it is the same principle as a 10 speed in a heavy truck. No gear splitting just range splitting. Those are two separate things and that's what you need to get your head wrapped around.

10. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Crazy farmer , The shift pattern you are using is correct , The 2 speed is meant to split every forward gear ....1L / button up 1H / button down 2L/ button up 2H Etc
    IH used a "short 4th" transmission while in 4L the next shift is 5L and then 5h because the difference between 4H and 5L was negligible
    You may or may not have this trans
    On upshifting lo to Hi with gas to the floor in low , Hi range can be preselected (button up) then just quickly let gas pedal up (it will shift) then right to the floor again

stroker3 and winchested like this.
  11. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

12. scoutboy74

Huh. Well, I may have to stand corrected then. Sure seems odd and unusual. The pattern I described has been the standard for a lot of years, but like I said, I haven't driven the 2 speed rear, so I guess that could be the difference.

stroker3 likes this.
  13. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

I always had to look down at the shifter when I would drive a 1968 F600 and then hop in a 86 Volvo with a 9spd Roadranger
    even then the poor F600 took some abuse until my second cup of coffee :1eye::1eye:

14. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

This was my understanding as well. Drove a few 70's Loadstars from one shop to another on site way back when . Had some fun just shifting 1L-1H-2L-2H in the lot and that was about it. Didn't recall any issues. Was starting to think that over the road and being loaded might mean something different.

kevingweq likes this.
  15. Kurt_M

Kurt_M Farmall Cub

This guy does it correctly. His is a vacuum shifted GM product.

I don't think IH ever used vacuum shifted ones, they were all electric, but same in operation. Riding school busses in the 60's I studied the way all the different drivers shifted, none did it the same, most left it in low till getting in 4th or 5th. There was a huge accident in the Colorado Rockies where an IH bus went off a mountain because the driver got it out of gear going downhill, I think after that two speed axles were banned in school buses.

stroker3 likes this.
  16. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

I guess that's why they put that "never" in all caps.

17. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

It was fun watching some back then as a kid. All the gears would be too much unless it was loaded with the football team and their gear I guess. Then there's some that thought a three speed had too many gears. Had an uncle up in Maine and I'll never forget how he drove his 65 Chevy six cyl p/up with three on the tree. He'd wind the heck out of first and go right to third. Even with the bucking, 2nd gear was only meant as a downshift gear when a complete stop wasn't possible.... in his mind anyway. Never got car sick too often but riding in a car with him was a challenge...LOL..

Unless I missed it , the video didn't cover downshifting too much. Just for clarification, don't play with the rear axle speed when doing so???

This video was up after the easy one from above.. The Onion is just way too simple. This guy explained the 18 speed pretty well. I guess.
    Understand most of what he was explaining but still not sure I understand it all that well....:laugh: .....Something to get used to for sure.

kevingweq and scoutboy74 like this.
  18. scoutboy74

I've driven a 13 speed a fair amount and I rarely split the high range gears until the last one. I do like the guy was explaining in the latter half of his video. Whole gear upshifts until I hit the highest gate and then up-split that last position for my top cruising speed. It nice to be able to split more of them when needed, I just haven't really felt that need very often. Little Kenny down in my signature has a 9 speed which works well enough for a single screw dump truck, but a 13 speed in that would be amaz-balls just to allow me to drop the rpms a few hundred when I'm in top gear on the interstate. The small cam cummins 350 is howling pretty loudly with the 4.10 gearing at 60-62 mph. A 13 speed would drop it back down into the sweet spot at that speed.

stroker3 likes this.
  19. TheCrazyFarmer

Well, thanks for all the info guys!

I'm glad we sorted out the confusion, I was getting confused.

20. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

You'll flat out BUST that axle driving it like that.
    They are not, and at this vintage were never meant to be a splitter, auxiliary, or doubler. It takes a "2 speed driver" to master a 2 speed axle and many fleets took a lesser operating economy with fixed axles than to put up with repair costs and training time for drivers to learn the 2 speed.

Use the low range to haul payloads and climb grades. You seem to be in the Coast Range so you may be in Low Range a lot and until you learn the truck's handling. High Range is for empty haul backs, light loads, and stretches of level grade where you can get some speed.

I can't count on both hands how many times I've heard medium truck drivers (usually young short haul) crunching axle gears split shifting through town. It's flat out stoopid!

Consider the "Range" you'll be in and understand you are matching your horsepower to load, grade, and speed. Hills, curves, in town, loaded; go for Low Range. Empty, straight and level, loaded and level, chance for some speed; go High Range.

Once you're proficient, maybe try some split shifts but I think you'll find you'll actually need very few split shifts for trimming out speed and RPM. It's medium duty, a farm truck; just not that much there to work with for OTR.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    scoutboy74 likes this.