1967 Loadstar "Big Onion"

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by TheCrazyFarmer, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Binder Driver

Its a RC hobby product, no idea if its legal in cali anymore, its pretty nasty. Very explosive fumes and expensive, but it was great with the little tube on it for carb passages.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

2. Gunfighter97

Its a RC hobby product, no idea if its legal in cali anymore, its pretty nasty. Very explosive fumes and expensive, but it was great with the little tube on it for carb passages.

3. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

Bet ill have do do what everyone else here does when we need one of those highly toxic old school products. Drive to Nevada.

stroker3 likes this.
  4. TheCrazyFarmer

TheCrazyFarmer High Wheeler

It seems to have a pretty steady squirt, it also looks to be pretty instant. Here's a video of it if it helps. If I move the throttle really slowly, it doesn't look like it hardly squirts at all. Is that normal? I'm assuming its normal.

P.S. Sorry about my loud breathing! I think my nose was stuffed up!:laugh:

And just because I was already filming stuff, I decided to give you a look/listen to what's happening. As you can see/hear, when I accelerate a little slower it doesn't backfire, but if I hit it, it doesn't like it.

5. TheCrazyFarmer

Alright, I'm back at it!

I hooked up the vacuum gauge to take a reading, but it doesn't want to start now. It has been getting worse and worse since the day I got it. I have had trouble in the past getting it to turn, but it has gotten to the point where it will only turn 1 outta 30+ times, maybe more! when I turn the key, it makes a little clunk, but won't do anything. I only got it to turn 2 times today, and I wasn't expecting it to start, so I never kept it running.

My battery is fine, it read a bit over 12 volts. I'm guessing its the starter. The starter connections seem tight enough, so I'm guessing I just need to replace it? I don't know.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks, Johnny.:cowboy:

6. TheCrazyFarmer

*****(This is for gunfighter97)***** because I can't post pictures on Pm's. Everyone else can disregard this post. Unless of course, you know where I can get a dump lever for this truck.

Here's the picture of where it connects. Sorry the picture isn't great, its a bit hard to reach. You should be able to kinda tell how its connected here. As long as it has enough of a flat, I can drill new holes if necessary. Thanks!:cowboy:

20200811_200507.jpg

Gunfighter97 likes this.
  7. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

First, a fully charged battery should show at least 12.6 volts at rest. Wiring connections need to be clean and tight from the battery to the starter solenoid to the bulkhead connector to the ignition switch and back to the starter solenoid. One thing you can try very quickly, after first making certain that the trans is out of gear, is to jump from the large post on the starter solenoid to the small terminal labeled 'S' on the solenoid to see if that gets the motor cranking any better. Best course would be to use a remote starter button for this test, but if you're conscientious and take some precautions. you can do it safely with a screwdriver or a piece of jumper wire.

Gunfighter97 likes this.
  8. Gunfighter97

I second the above, that will confirm if your starter works. Bulkhead connectors and starter terminals need to be clean. They can be the source of a lot of problems.

That lever setup looks like a PO hack. Is that connected to a hydraulic valve? Also was the hydraulic system added on or factory? If pto controlled and that's linked to a pto, it may well have been a cable/knob setup. My pto was converted to lever shift the exact same way, they even left the old cable in there. No knob though sadly :(

9. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

Obligatory warning. Dont crank for more than 20 seconds and let it rest a minute before trying again.

First, put your meter in the center of each battery post, NOT touching the terminals. Crank it. If the voltage crashes down to nothing, then your battery is shot.
    Put the negative lead on the positive terminal and
    put the positive lead on the positive TERMINAL. Crank it. If the voltage shoots way up,its a bad connection between the terminal and the batrery post.
    Next put the negative lead on the negative post and the positive lead on the negative terminal. Crank it. If the voltage shoots up its a bad connection between the post and terminal. Clean them with sand paper or one of those battery terminal tools.

Next put the negative lead on tbe positive terminal and the metal lug on the starter. You want it on the lug, NOT the bolt or nut. Crank it. If the voltage shoots up, its the positive battery cable. Replace it. Next put the negative lead on the lug and the positive lead on the bolt on the starter that it connects to. Crank it. If it shoots up, then its a bad connection between the cable lug and the starter. Clean it and bolt the cable back down.

Next put the negative lead of the meter on the negative battery terminal. Put the positive lead on the lug where the negative cable connects to the engine block. The lug, not the bolt. Crank it. If the voltage spikes way up, the negative cable is bad. Next find (or make) a clean spot on the engine block. Put the negative lead on the lug on the end of the cable. Put the positive lead on the clean spot. If the voltage spikes up then the connection between cable and the engine block is bad. Unbolt it and clean it up with and paper and put it back together.

Next find or make a clean spot on the starter housing. Put the negative lead of the meter on the clean spot on the block and the positive on the clean spot on the starter. Crank it. If the voltage spikes way up its a bad ground connection between the starter and engine block.

scout2000 likes this.
  10. TheCrazyFarmer

Thanks for the replies!

I took a little piece of wire and touched the two posts on the starter, and it clicked, but it didn't try to turn. It did the same thing it did when I was cranking with the key. So I think I need a new starter. I mean, its an expense, but at least it would be simple.

11. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Have you tried another battery?...you could pull the starter and have it tested if that doesnt work

12. TheCrazyFarmer

I don't know if the hydraulics are stock or aftermarket, and I don't honestly know anything about PTO's and dump stuff. This truck has a PTO knob on the dash that you pull out to engage the PTO, and then You pull on the lever to raise the bed. I don't know if that answers any of your questions, but that's about all I got.

Thanks, Johnny.

Gunfighter97 likes this.
  13. TheCrazyFarmer

I could stick the turnip battery in there I guess, just to see what happens.

14. Gunfighter97

If you take your existing one to a napa, they may have a refurbishing service. I did that with a starter and generator out of a 6v positive ground 1946 dodge pickup. Wasn't terribly expensive either.

TheCrazyFarmer likes this.
  15. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I would pull the solenoid first,alot of times its just burnt contacts,you can clean them,or buy another one.

scout2000 likes this.
  16. TheCrazyFarmer

That's a good idea, we are just trying not to go in too many stores right now, because we have elderly folks in our household.

Gunfighter97 likes this.
  17. TheCrazyFarmer

I'll look into that.

Thanks!

18. Gunfighter97

Know the feeling, I work retail :/
    [​IMG]

19. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

Do the tests I described before buying a new starter. Just guesing and throwing parts at the problem and hoping to get lucky is a recipie for throwing your hard earned money away.

TheCrazyFarmer likes this.
  20. TheCrazyFarmer

I figured it out!

I put the turnip battery in there and there was no change, so I started disconnecting the solenoid wires. As I was doing this, I noticed that one of the posts on the solenoid was loose and wobbling around, so I tightened it, and now it cranks. Its still not perfect, but plenty good enough to test, and out of about 6-8 cranks, only one failed, so I'm sure it just needs to be a little tighter. I thought to check the connections to the solenoid, but I didn't think to check how well the posts were connected. Well, Now I know what to do if it happens again!

Sorry you guys had to waste your breath. I guess it wasn't wasted, I'm sure I'll be coming back here for that info at some point.

Well, now I can hopefully make some progress today.

Thanks guys!:cowboy::thumbs up: