1966 IH Tow Truck Rear End

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Marty1835, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Marty1835

Marty1835 Farmall Cub

Hello Everyone!
    I have a miss mosh 1966 Tow Truck ( in my sig) I'm trying to source those pesky rear wheel cylinders but am struggling with confirmation of what rear end is in it. It is stamped-
    R91 then IH symbol.
    It is a dual wheel with eaton electric 2 speed ( which I just cleaned and it works!)

Ive done some reading and due diligence before asking for help. I have come up empty with that R91 number. My other question is what top speed would I expect from this rear end? In high speed the motor runs out of RPM at about 42 mph. I am happy with that but I am just curious.

Thanks for any insight and experience that you can offer
    Marty
    1915 Model T
    1946 Chevy
    1950 Chrysler Limo
    1952 Ford
    1960 Dune Buggy
    1966 Ford Wagon
    1966 IH Tow Truck
    1978 Jeep CJ7

Attached Files:

2. skidder

skidder Farmall Cub

what size truck,engine,trany,tires,

3. Marty1835

Marty1835 Farmall Cub

yeah that's the tough part and here is why I left it out. I bought the truck as it is presented as a 1966. It has a 1974 Pontiac 400 with TH400 auto tranny. I will post the tire size - I didn't think of that. I am new at IH and trying to distinguish years is challenging. I do not believe the cab is original to the frame and the hooker appears to be home built but wow is it engineered nice. This will serve mostly to pull a trailer and the huge winch does work and that's cool. Plus it has truck stacks!

4. skidder

skidder Farmall Cub

well with that engine trany combo,your truck should go faster than 42 even with the 2 speed not in high,are you sure its working,

5. skidder

skidder Farmall Cub

i also seen that same engine/trany combo in a travelall once lol

6. Marty1835

Marty1835 Farmall Cub

I'm pretty sure the rear is in high but I need to confirm that next weekend i attached a picture of the marking on the rear to help in identification.

7. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Welcome aboard Marty !! Quite an impressive collection listed in your signature :1eye:
    When you have a chance please post some pictures of your vehicles/projects
    most of us enjoy the vintage iron ,I know I do , Is there any more gearboxes under your
    truck than normal , I'm wondering if someone slipped a "doubler" in

8. Marty1835

Marty1835 Farmall Cub

Some of the stuff in the "Shop"
    1915 Ford Model T- pulled out of an old garage- rebuilt everything underneath,original body and interior-- what a great ride
    2 model t winter 2014.JPG
    1946 Chevy Stylemaster- all original. Been in the family since 1946. I am the current caretaker of him.
    46 chevy.jpg
    1950 Chrysler Limo- 3 rows of seats. what a beast- floats down the road.....
    50 chrysler limo.JPG

1952 Ford Mainline- last year of the flathead v8- open pipe---yes it sounds that good.... Micro-Flaked the roof hopefully flame job this summer
    52 ford 2.jpg

1966 Ford Country Sedan- no trim. 351W 3 speed hurst shifter,dual exhaust. alias "the black bitch"
    66 wagon 1.jpg 66 wagon 2.jpg
    another shot of 2 old ladies in my 1915!!!
    1915 ford.JPG

1960 VW Dune Buggy. 1600 motor original gel coat. Looked up and down the coast for one---found this in town...........hahahahaha
    dune buggy 1.JPG

dune buggy jeep.JPG

1978 Jeep CJ7- 304 V8 Auto. Fiberglass body couple inches of lift. Went through it bought a top for it now my girlfriend drives the wheels off it.
    jeep.jpg

other projects: 1967 Amphicar , 1925 Davis Speedster ( hopefully T.R.O.G material) , 1954 Hudson Hornet ,

check out the shop http://www.theegyptgarage.com/
    Thanks
    Marty

9. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

Luv that 1915 Ford. Somehow the "patina" makes it more attractive to me than the restored ones I see at shows. What a great piece of history!
    As to the IH axle, since it has duals and was probably used in a medium to heavy duty truck in it's former life; maybe a visit to an IH/Navistar dealer could be of help. With the IH number they might be able to track down some information as to possible applications. From there you may be able to source parts based on yr/make/model.

IH dropped support for Light Line, pickups, Travelalls, Scouts, etc., around the 1990s or in and around year 2000. Many dealer records go only to the 1970's, but there might be one with microfiche still in a back dusty room that could have more relevant info on heavy trucks. Just an idea to check out.

10. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

11. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

Marty, it looks like your truck has 5-hole Budd wheels on the front, which would make it a 1500 model. It looks like they're 7.50 x 17 tires on the stock 17 x 6 rim. The 1500 was available with 20-inch wheels, but they would have 6.50 or 7.00 x 20 tires on a 5-inch wide rim, or 7.50 or 8.25 x 20 tires on a 6-inch wide rim. The stock rear end would be a single-speed 10,000-lb. axle, but an optional rear axle would be a 13,500-lb 2-speed Eaton.

Your rear tires look larger than even an 8.25 x 20 tire. I can't tell how many lug bolts it has. If it has 5, then it may be the stock axle. If it has 6, then it may have been swapped in from a Loadstar or other medium-duty IH truck. The numbers you provided don't show up in the parts manual I have...

The brakes on the 13,500-lb Eaton rear axle should be 14-1/8 x 3". The wheel cylinders (two per side) are IH part number 85 360 R93. That crosses over to a Dorman p/n W15306. RockAuto lists the rear wheel cylinder kits as Raybestos p/n WK184 (no wheel cylinder listed).

I don't know if this helps... Good luck, Mike

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    stroker3 likes this.
  12. skidder

skidder Farmall Cub

i went up a few sizes when i had my 51,i think they were 10,00 x 20 gave me more top end,those tires look taller than what should be on there,you have a tow truck with a slight rake job

13. Marty1835

Marty1835 Farmall Cub

Mike thank you very much for the numbers. The rear has 5 lugs. Ill have to pull it apart again to measure the brakes. I replaced all lines and hoses. The cylinders looked ok- just a little crap in there so I cleaned them up honed lightly and put it back together. I have a slight leak in one of them so I'm leaning towards replacing them all. damn those wheels are heavy to lug on and off.....

14. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

May or may not help much not knowing what could have been swapped in and out of it over the years but is the door tag still on it? If it is, could you post a pic of it?
    With the claim that it is a 66, the tag could be listing it as either a D1500 or a 1500A with the VIN. If it does it might be original to the truck and worth the $20.00 or so to order a LST for it. If nothing else at least you would know how it came off the line with and what has been swapped in later.

15. Marty1835

Marty1835 Farmall Cub

winner winner Mike nailed it eaton 1350 rear axle ( I had the 2 speed motor out last weekend and google imaged it this morning) . While it does not ID the brakes I now know what the axle is and will have to look for the ratio on the top of the case.

Thanks again- Marty

16. Marty1835

Marty1835 Farmall Cub

17. TRAVELETTE

TRAVELETTE Farmall Cub

Since the axle number does not appear in the parts book you have, what leads you to think the wheel cylinder part numbers you provided would be correct? If the brakes are original to the axle, the wheel cylinder numbers provided are not correct. The axle housing part number 173064R91 is used with axle code 14120. This axle would be equipped with a 14-1/8 X 3 brake, that uses four different part number wheel cylinders. Upper LH, Lower LH, Upper RH, Lower RH.
    Newer trucks with a 14126 axle and newer design 14-1/8 X 3 brake use four of the 85360R93, in all positions.

18. TRAVELETTE

TRAVELETTE Farmall Cub

1953 was the last year of the flathead in Fords and Mercurys. I own three '53 Merc's. s-l1600.jpg

19. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Just tossing it out there to keep in mind. Seeing the ford wagon and the 53 merc wheel covers reminded me. We live on a road that was cement when we were kids. Cement roads and New England don't mix well. My brother and I would go on a bike ride every few days looking for lost wheel covers due to the bad seams and all the pot holes. We would turn around and sell them out front of the house to make a buck or two. Pretty sure we sold a few back to the original owners. Found 3 covers off a 65 or so Chevy Impala SS. Figured the guy must have been hauling ass to lose that many in a fairly short distance. Anyway, if any of you guys with the fifties and sixties cars are ever looking for a better than nothing extra wheel cover that would match , we still got a small pile of them left that I've been holding off sending to the scrap yard. Not sure why but........

20. wjajr

wjajr Binder Driver

Calculate rear end gear ratio:
    Peg-leg axle jack up one whee, Posi, jack up both wheels to be free to rotate in neutral.
    Mark tire and rotate it twice while counting number of driveshaft rotations. (I mark U joint to easily see frictional turns) Example: 8.25 turns of u joint, divide number of u joint turns by 2, = 4.12:1 ratio. You can check both high & low range . Than use a drive train calculator to figure rpm and vehicle speed.