1965 D1100 4X4 Pickup "Fixer Upper"

Discussion in 'The Truck Stop' started by Gunfighter97, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

First of all, I'm learning a whole new forum, so please forgive any fat fingering or posting in the wrong place on my part. Now to the rig!
    I've had this truck for a little less than three years now, done a lot, learned a lot. It's been a resident of IHPA's forum for about half that time. I've heard that perhaps here, there is more knowledge in round body pick-alls, and so here am I. Theres currently a MASSIVE list of fixes in progress, I will post up the summary of what I did/learned/screwed up(if aplicable) so others might learn as much as possible. The truck is a 1965 1100, factory 4x4, newer 1200/1210 axles, 1.5" body lift and power steering gear consistent with axles. Original # engine, t98a driver pto tranny, np202 t-case, and dealer installed winch bumper with a Ramsey 8000# winch(not currently installed). I have a mile high stack of paper, ie, parts/service manuals, LST ect. This is my first IH, I was looking for any pre 75 4x4, ended up with this guy, and I've loved every minute since, ups and comical downs included. It's worth noting, this is a case where the previous owner(s) did more damage to it than its 53 year hard labor lifetime. Nothing, and I really mean nothing they fixed was fixed corectly. Literally bubblegum and bandaids(no I'm not joking, there was gum and bandaids in the wiring). Since aquiring I've rewired the truck with a reproduction wiring harness, added H4 headlights, fixed alot of electrical components, rebuilt both headlight buckets, added dual exhaust, made the mistake of taking it to a shop for said exhaust(and other things; I've had to redo all of it) rebuilt (more or less replaced) the front driveline, sourced alot of parts, made lots of minor repairs, cleaned, driven, used and killed it several times for repairs. The truck is down right now for cooling system work, more on that later. Other areas I'm working on currently are as follows:
    -fix what I half humerously refer to as "drunk simulator"
    -repair numerous po bodge jobs
    -convert a scout 800 upper column to jive with the later truck lower column so I can have the stock steering wheel inside. For now, enjoy some pics, wich will hopefully post, including a sample of po butchery on my front springs. More to come, I will post up mechanical updates as I do them, but as far as round body specific stuff I don't know a whole lot, so feel free to chime in on anything in that respect, or even point out the obvious, it may not be obvious to me lol. As a last note, this forum has among the finest emoji collection I've ever seen. 20170506_191309(1).jpg 20170504_171014(1).jpg 20180814_104013.jpg 20180825_093913_HDR.jpg 20180907_142234_HDR.jpg 20181013_104642_HDR.jpg 20181104_161456.jpg 20180620_130522_HDR.jpg 20180618_092912.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Erik Morton likes this.
  2. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Welcome . Nice solid looking truck overall. There are a few threads on here dealing with the vent/cowl rust. Ya, you can see quite a few mix and match's with it. It's a shame when there's as much time and effort put into messing with things as it would have been to source the right parts. Of coarse if it works , it works and that's fine too. Almost looks like a P/O must have had a D series parts vehicle for it. The door catch is kinda interesting..LOL. Hard to see but was the top hinge messed up as well? What I find a little funny is, with all that time spent on 'improvements', it still has the canister oil filter.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  3. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

Haha yes, that door latch is the worst, came out of a scout? door. Top hinge is fine, what you see protruding in that pic is my "door stopper" wich happens to be the original strike plate that I found under the seat. When they modded it, they cut off the window track and bent it forward, so naturally the window doesnt roll down... Yea. Hot. I have a donor 1200a I got for next to nothing, that hopefully will turn into its own project eventually, with a pair of rotten doors, so I plan on cutting one up for a patch. I already have the correct latch. Of course, this door closes effortlessly, the other I have to slam so hard that the poor truck often goes up on two wheels lol. On that canister oil filter, I can't decide if I want to upgrade that or not. I find it satisfying to say that it holds a quart of oil by itself :laugh: oh, but they did "improve" the engine, they added 20lbs of JB weld. Somebody, definatly had a D series parts truck for it. It would explain for much incompetence elsewhere. The bottom three leafs of both my front springs were layered bassackwards. This truck originally had HD front springs and standard rears, now it has the standard front 5 leafs, and the helpers from HD rears, but 5 leaf rear mains??? The back end is quite springy compared to the front but then again the front has shocks rear doesn't. When my shop did the exhaust, they put it on a lift and as the springs extended the rear shocks grenaded. I guess they were a might too short. I will read up on rust repair, fortunate for me its only in the dash, floor is fine. Although the bed needs help but that seems a lot easier than those vents. Just for the record I understand how and why they rot there, I have an Idea on how to fix it so I still have vents but rot wont start(I hope). 20180618_100057_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  4. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

I've looked into searching for rot repair tech, there seems to be great info here. Don't know why google doesnt seem to lead me here so much??? Google definatly didn't lead me to this forum but anyhow, this truck is going to be my doitall rig. If you look at my "status" it says 'hiding in the Communist West' and I'm also currently planning my escape past the iron curtain lol. I need this truck to go roughly 700 miles from Commiefornicate to Sweet Murican' Freedom at least once, then contend with snow in the winter. Basically I'm going on a modern version of homesteading, taking my money, neutered guns and law-strangled gun business with me. I'll be using this thing for hauling, exploring, hunting, you name it. So far mechanical stuff is going well, body work and c series specific stuff is what I'm struggling with and really haven't touched too much. The mechanical situation was planned in taking on one major component at a time. Then my radiator sprung a leak through a glob of po jb weld, thus beginning the present death spiral. The whole cooling system was rusty, so uppon tearing it apart I also found my heater guts were junk. From there I got recomended brass freeze plugs, naturally, two are impossible to access. Without that is, the transmission removed...wich I also need to rebuild...so I might as well do the t-case too... You can see how this is going. By the time its back up it will have rebuilt gears, brand new water system, twin stick conversion, and what ever else I can think of. I'll show off a little of that here, but what I'm really interested in is body repair/period correct parts info. In regards to my vent rott I'm planning to either go stock with access plates, or re-engineer the system entirely, I will begin by removing the rott from underneath and inspecting and assessing from there. On another note, I'm no longer sure I posted this in the correct area as I found "Binder Builds" also? I dont plan on posting a ton of tech here (that is unless people start asking for it, I'd be happy to oblige), more or less the finished product and what I learned from it, again, the biggest thing will be rust repair/body work. The one other thing I want to do is build an endo-skeleton in/under the bed, to allow me to construct a modular load bearing rack that I can attach a cherry picker to without my side walls bending over. Essentially my ending goal here is to have the Swiss Army knife mother of all light trucks. Others opinions, experiences, and ideas are more than welcome as my plans are flexible to say the least, and I still find inspiration for something diferent all the time.

5. stroker3

With all that you have planned for the truck it's probably a good idea to start another thread in builds or general tech. You'll get more exposure , info and advice on what you're doing over there. Oh, BTW.....everyone like pics and your previous owner stuff will be right up there with the best...lol

Type what you're searching then add binder planet.
    Examples...
    'cowl rust binder planet'
    ..https://www.google.com/search?q=cow...WiUt8KHbsEAFgQ_AUIDigA&biw=1910&bih=963&dpr=1

'C series radiator binder planet'
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i8i7i30.Nzz_A0ehoHs

'sv freeze plugs binder planet'
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...9j0i8i7i30j35i39j0i67j0i7i30j0i30.M6bOAcQ8LRQ

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  6. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

Yea, I thought as much. I will start a new thread or maybe the mods can move this one? Either way, I'll be over there soon. I do have a lot of plans, and sometimes wonder if I will be able to do them all, then look back and realize how much I've actually done and impress myself lol. Yea the previous owner bandaids are worthy of their own forum thread entitled 'fail montage' at this point. Gum/bandaids/jb weld and hackjobs are only the beginning unfortunately. You should've seen how my headlights used to be wired :wacko:

stroker3 likes this.
  7. stroker3

8. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

9. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

kevingweq, thanks for the info, will give me some productive bathroom reading material lol. Seriously though thats great, thanks again. Again, WHY DOESNT GOOGLE WORK?!?
    Stroker3, I couldnt resist, check that forum.

stroker3 likes this.
  10. stroker3

LOL.. I did. Was it saved from a scrap yard?
    The PO 'may' have been slightly on track with the oil overfill. As time goes on you'll probably come across info on the SV requiring one extra qt. to reduce high rev oil starvation .

11. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

I dont know if "saved" is the right word, but sure, we'll go with that. I did actually find a pick n pull receipt for it tucked neatly in the headliner with some harbor freight coupons. Thats probably why it has a salvage title. I read the dual sump pan needs a quart overfull, and theres not as much point to do it with the truck pans. Correct me If im wrong. Theres more to come there so stay tuned lol.

12. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

kevingweq, those pics of the cowl sliced open are great. I had no idea what things really looked like in there, thanks! Between that and reading some other threads here on BP, I'm wondering just how structural that front face plate above the fire wall is. It would be nice to be able to fab up some big 'L' shaped access plates (bottom of the L being the top of the 'step' that over hangs the firewall) to clean on either side of those vents. Once its all put back I could throw some bed liner in there too, without melting it when the outer skin is welded back on. Hrmmmmm :cornfused: time to start me up a build thread!

13. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

That looks just like the steering wheel out of a Mercedes G-wagen.

14. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

Thats cuz it is. See the things po did to your rig thread(link above in text) one page from the end. Worth anything?

15. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

Probably-- every part on a G-Wagen costs 5x what it should. DAMHIK.

16. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

It was modified to fit, spline is very diferent, basically PPpO and Co bored three holes to mount it Grant GT adapter style. In tune with other fixes, they only used two screws. But maybe If I price it cheap I can get rid of it. Outside of it is nice. Heck I may hang it on the wall as a war trophy anyways lol. Also I'd like to revisit an above post: "saved" from a scrap yard? No, a better description would be found at peace in a scrap yard and beaten untill undead.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

17. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

My question is: how did the PO come across a castoff G-Wagen steering wheel? It's not like you find them at every scrapyard or garage sale. I'd love to know the story behind that.

18. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

Yea XD I got it from a peculiar dude in Stockton, he had like ten 1950s jags and a couple other euros so I assume he found it with no steering wheel. He wouldnt tell me a lot about it, didnt really seem like he knew much about it tbh. Basically just said he found it more or less as is in a pick n pull (reason for the salvage title) and only used it to move a boat around a few times a year. Stored it under cover though so thats nice ;) oh hey, does this seat look G-wagen esque? I have no clue what its from, its not from the doner car 1200/1210 axles and steering gear. I replaced it cuz it was only held in with one bolt, but I havent disposed of it yet.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

The back 1/2 looks like stock IH

20. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

Verbatim what they told me at IHPA