1963 C1300 4x4

Discussion in 'The Truck Stop' started by AZDIESEL, Jan 3, 2013.

1. AZDIESEL

AZDIESEL Binder Driver

This thread is going to be dedicated to one of my favorite binders in my stable.The C1300. The C1300 is one of the heavy dutyest binders to ever come from IH light line, in my opinion. Just think about it...To get a truck like this today you would need to get a ford 450 super duty or greater. This thread will also serve as sort of a journal and will follow the transformation and constant upgrades, modifications, and maintanance pertaining to this truck. Im also doing this in honor of other members C series heavy duty trucks particularly bloodyknuckles's C1300 he built. That truck is another classic example of IHC heavy duty light line beauty and has inspired me to help maintain and drive one of the greatest looking trucks in history. This truck came with a 304 origannly, but now has a 392. The GVW is 10,000 lbs and the wheelbase is 132". Here is the door tag:

[​IMG]

The beginnings of this tale can be found here:
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103762

Some quick specs my particular truck has are as follows: The original 304 has been swapped out for a healthy improved cooling 392 with the original t98 4 speed. Its a square bore manifold with a edelbrock 1404 carb. The ignition is a pertronix with a off the shelf recommended 1.5 ohm coil. Dual 2 1/4" exhaust flow thru "smitty" mufflers as my dad calls them.....glass packs as the newer generation calls them or cherry bombs. Other than that the engine is bone stock. Stock cooling,etc. It does have a electric aftermarket block heater from when this truck lived in Illinois. I will most likely remove it because its just not needed in AZ.

[​IMG]

The T98 4 speed is basic as it comes. Im not sure the clutch size. One of the main gems to this drivtrain is the Warn auxiliary transmission. Its a model# 4395 and serial# 04690355. I have not been able to find out ANY info on the web about this unit except for a old Popular mechanics magazine ad that shows the exact unit advertised. If anyone knows anything about these, please speak up. It apears cast aluminum and seems very beefy. It shifts great and comes in handy with the 4.88 gears. It definatly makes it more enjoyable to drive on the hwy. I will be removing the rear output seal soon as it is starting to weep. I will probably do it about the same time as I reseal the 202 transfer case, as it too is startig to weep in various places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am ordering a line set ticket today. Id like to figure out the axles. My best geuss from searching on here make me belive it is a RA15 or 20 in the rear. and the front is the dana 70 but the IH designation is unknown. Im not to clear on IH axle codes. I used to be ok with them but have forgotten much.

I am currently driving this as a daily driver. The next mods will be to install my tool boxes which will be cool as I have a great idea for them. The 9 1/2' bed is awesome and provides plenty of room. Im going to try to be like bloodyknuckles and strive to keep things period correct. I will be mounting some jerry cans on the bed as well as some old school gun racks in the rear window when I find a set. I refuse to put the plastic garbage they sell now. Everything works as far as what the truck came with. Turn signals, gauges, etc all work and appear in great condition, so time will be spent in other areas. I also plan on installing a front winch soon. I belive I have a factory C series winch somewhere and a an old 8274 winch. If not, Ill use my 15000# warn, even tho its not period correct. Heater works great and there is no radio. Not sure if Im going to ad one or not. Probably not.

Anyway, comment, suggestions and whatever are encouraged. I have no set plan as to updates, but I will post them up as they happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

The D70 front axle is FA52.

The rear would be an RA15 with 14" drums.

Good to see someone else into the C1300,love mine. I was really interested to see the auxillary transmission,how many gears does it have? Looks like it bolts directly to the T98? I did a bunch of machining to get an auxillary transmission,wasn't aware one was available.

Also,isn't the 1963 a C130? I thought they didn't add the zero until 1964.

3. AZDIESEL

AZDIESEL Binder Driver

Yes. FA52 sounds right. Thanks.

I was under the impression the RA15 was the equivelent of the dana 60?

The 14" brakes sound correct so You may be right. I know the 61-62 are for sure C100,110,120,130, etc. But the door sticker says C1300 so im not sure. I tend to think my door plate is correct.

YEs, the aux. trans is very unique. I havent seen another like it and the only info Ive found is the old magazine ad. YEs. it bolts directly to the back of the t98.

I love your truck and have red your threads several times over here and on pirate. These truley are HD trucks and I love the nastalgic feel they have with the original axles and hidden improvments youve done.

Thanks for the comments. Keep up the good work.

4. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

The 1000's started in 63. It's a 1300. (62 was the last year for the C100's etc.)

Very nice, tough looking truck you have there.

5. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

On the overdrive,I had one on my 68 travelall behind a 345,was great untill I put a slightly built 392 infront of it with 410 gears.I pulled it with intentions of rebuilding it,posted on a site asking about it,got an unbeleivable offer on it and sold it.Basicly it replaces the rear bearing housing,then you have to assembly it.To remove,have to take the back plate off of it and start to dissassemble.Bearing was available,It needed one gear I couldnt find.Be gentle with it,I wasnot.
    Jeff

6. AZDIESEL

AZDIESEL Binder Driver

Thanks for the info. Does it take regular 80-90w? Or did you use a heavy engine oil?

Progress: I found a great deal on some tires from a friend this weekend and swapped the tires. I like the 33's it had on there but they looked really puney. I went to a 36-14.50 Parnelli Dirt Grips....and it looks so much better. In fact I love the look it has. Its amazing what some tires will do for looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres some shots of the beafy brakes while I had the tires off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found my c series factory winch bumper in the yard. Hopefully i will get the dumb brush gaurd off and get this Warn 15K winch I have on soon.

One thing at a time.

7. Jeff Jamison

Use gl1 90,
    Jeff

8. gamestrader

gamestrader Farmall Cub

That is a cool truck! :bananrap:

9. overdrivesteve

overdrivesteve Farmall Cub

wow, very nice truck!! :)
    And I have never seen that warn overdrive before. Is it possible to copy and post that ad you found? And perhaps another picture of the overdrive from the side.
    Thanks.
    Steve
    P.S. I hope you got my email.

10. AZDIESEL

AZDIESEL Binder Driver

Ok. Thanks. I wanted to drain it and change it.

Thanks Man. :beer:

Sure. I plan on serviceing it and I wll take some pictures...hopefully this weekend. Here is the ad frpm Poular mechanics 1969.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the address for the ad: http://books.google.com/books?id=Kt...a=X&ei=aiLsUM_-I6_EiwK2rIDADw&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAw

No I didnt get an email; from you. Did you try jrad@hancock1.com or soazbinders@yahoo.com?

11. BloodyKnuckles

BloodyKnuckles Farmall Cub

Hey man! First off, let me say that I love your truck! I first saw it on the "bay". I compared it with mine and must say that I would love to have it, especially the bed!

I really like the OD. I have a friend with 2. I'll ask him a bit about them. I noticed that your truck has no rear shocks. Mine didn't either. It had no provisions. Is this normal on the C1300??

I like the brushguard, a lot. A custom, period style, winch bumper may serve better though. Maybe you can incorporate the brushguard into the winch bumper. I have a couple "cow catcher" style guards that I plan on incorporating into mine.

I love the fact that yours is a factory 4x4 unlike mine. Your axles are much beefier than mine. I have been searching for a dana 70/80 combo to replace my 44/60. Someday.

I'm excited to hear that this is your daily driver. I truly enjoy driving mine. You will never tire from the compliments and discussions that you'll recieve everywhere you go.

Also, I appreciate all the kind words and am glad that my truck has inspired you. I have many more designs and ideas that I hope to incorporate into mine including a 4 door cab and "period" utility bed.

I hope to share ideas and stories with you.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!

BloodyKnuckles

12. AZDIESEL

AZDIESEL Binder Driver

Cool. Any info you can muster up on that auxillary transmission would be great. Ive already recieved so much info its great. I ordered my line set ticket thru my buddy Brendan at Barnes IH, so Im camped by the mailbox till it arrives. :D

I was able to talk a little to the original owner a little yesterday and although he was a kid when his dad bought it new, he kinda thougt the bed was off a 69-up, which after looking at it as bit makes some sence. But dang he did such a great job intslling it its difficult to notice if he hadnt mentioned it. It fits so well. I love being able to haul a ton of stuff and never run out of room.

And yes. I get stopped and visited with wherever I go. I also get stares and thumbs up constantly. This truck owns the road when shes going down it. Very hard to miss. Im trying to find a good name like blue beast(but I think I going to paint it flat black someday) or jaggernaut or godzilla or something...I dont know yet.

The shocks confussewd me too. I plan to weld some on in the near future.

I want to keep my axles as long as possible just because of the old school feal it brings and they are actually very funcional and I have zero complaints about them so far. Although a modern 60 front and dana 70 rear is tempting...im gonna hold out as long as possible. The axles are what make this truck cool.

Between me, you, and big ED...we got some HD trucks. :beer:

I look forward to seeing progress from all.

Thanks man.

13. Jeff Jamison

Just looked and your bed does look like a 70's.The beds are the same frome the 60's and 70's the difference is in the lights,the taillights and the brackets they are in are wrong,they should be round,and the side markerlights would not be there at all on your truck.I would try to find the round tailights as I think they look better on that truck
    Jeff

14. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

It's actually bigger than the D70.

I remember looking at a 1963 for sale that had C130 badges on the fenders,must have been titled a year later.

My tires and truck didn't look proportionate until I put the 40s on.

My truck has stock rear shock mounts,I might have some pictures.

15. overdrivesteve

overdrivesteve Farmall Cub

Hi,
    I just resent it to both email addresses. First time was Sunday night, only sent to soazbinders... It includes about 10 pictures so perhaps your email program junked it as spam.

Thanks.

Steve

16. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

Rear shocks were an option on quite a few older HD pickups, I've seen plenty of F250 Highboys from the late 60's that had no shock mounts.

The rear shock mounts on my 65 80 look like add on afterthoughts too.

17. TBAKPhi22

TBAKPhi22 Binder Driver

The shocks on my 1310 have mounts that are clamped on to the axle tubes. The top mounts are in the same place as *any* c/d series (the crossmember above the axle)
    My 1310 was "modified" by PG&E to be 11,000 GVW :tt2: Not a 4x4 though unfortunately!

18. shortbus4x4

shortbus4x4 Farmall Cub

I remember seeing that truck on ebay too. Oh how I want(ed) it. Good to see its with an IH nut.:clap:

19. cAlvis165

cAlvis165 Farmall Cub

Nice truck! Can I join the HD club with my 1300 4x4? :D

[​IMG]

20. cAlvis165

cAlvis165 Farmall Cub

Here is how my rear shocks are mounted. I assumed it was factory, but I'm not sure. I'll look on my line set and see if it says anything...

[​IMG]