1962 Studebaker GT Hawk With HFI On The Freeway

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by JoeHall, Feb 11, 2020.

1. JoeHall

JoeHall Farmall Cub

Thought I'd try to post a YT video of the 62GT on the road. The HFI continues to run perfectly. Smooth idle at 600-650, and smooth power delivery from idle on up. It runs like a good performing 4B, but without the feeling/hearing of, "the 4 barrels kicking in" since the power transition is seamless, all the way up. Hope the link to YouTube works. GT Hawk On Freeway

2. JoeHall

JoeHall Farmall Cub

It has a GPS speedometer, and modern tach, both of which are very accurate.

jeff campbell likes this.
  3. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I was waiting for the blue lights to appear!

4. JoeHall

JoeHall Farmall Cub

LOL. I usually drive 70-72 on the freeway, and both of the HFI'd Hawks get around 20 MPG. Much faster, say 75-77, and it drops to 18-19 MPG. Strangely, the 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk has always (since mid 1980s) gotten 1-2 MPG more on the freeway, but 1-2 less in town & country. Likely due to the larger (352 C.I.D.) motor in the 1956, compared to the 289 in other Hawks.
    When I lived out west, mostly the California desert, I drove tens of thousands of miles in the Hawks at around 80 MPH, but slowed down upon return to KY about 20 years ago. Now over 700,000 miles in Studes, I have never gotten a ticket (knock wood), but in late 1980s received a verbal warning for 2nd gear rubber going through a light near Palm Springs. I have many wonderful memories of driving Studes, mostly Hawks, and now HFI adds to the pleasure. Also, much less learning curve for the wife, in driving, "her" 63GT Hawk. Just turn the key, let it warm up 1-2 minutes for oil circulation, then go. I hate to say it but, comparatively speaking, driving the carbed 1956 GH seems a hassle.

5. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Very impressive ! Nice. Very cool. How long have you had the " HFI " on. Thanks for sharing. You be a happy camper. Sounds sweet.

6. JoeHall

JoeHall Farmall Cub

Since 2012, and about 44,000 miles now. Thanks!