1960 B160 dump 4x4

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by Nuckledragger, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Nuckledragger

Nuckledragger Farmall Cub

Howdy! I just became the owner of a 1960 B160 dump w/4x4. I deliver propane and had been noticing this yellow truck for a couple years. Recently, the owner's wife was home & had some questions. We talked for a while, then I asked if I could check out the truck. She said, "What?! That ugly beast? Take it out of here! I'll give it to you." Really. I was down with that, but thought it best to talk to her husband. I went back out on Sunday to talk to him. Looked it over and asked what he wanted for it. "I don't want anything for it. I know it'll cost you to get it going." I accepted.
    After a while I said I would try to get it running. He left me to do my thing. It had been sitting about 7 years. Cleaned carb and hooked to gas can. Hooked up battery. Had to play with points to get it to fire. It tried to run, so I shut it off because I needed to put #1 plug back in. Then it hit a few times, but wouldn't run. Then it got hard to turn. I didn't want to do any more damage, so I quit. Don't think his horses were happy with me taking there truck, While I was playing, they were chewing on my Yota. Broke my wipers! I lined up a tow truck and should have it home tomorrow (Wed 7/1).
    This poor truck is beat! It was strictly a ranch truck. Mainly used to pull out stuck trucks due to 4x4 and the massive winch. It came with the ranch when he bought it, so no title. The engine is a V8. From searching it is either a 266 or 304 if original. Will find out when home. IMG_20200614_173051518_BURST000_COVER.jpg IMG_20200614_172945249.jpg IMG_20200614_172956028.jpg

2. George Yingst

George Yingst Farmall Cub

That will give you something to work on over the weekend!
    Don't think I've ever seen one of the 4x4's that appears to sit that low in the front. They are usually very tall beasts.
    Have fun with your new toy.

3. Kurt_M

Kurt_M Farmall Cub

I have a B160 that came with a 304 engine serial number 4006. Curious what you find for engine serial number and if you find it on the pad by the fuel pump or on the pad below the left front cylinder head.

4. Nuckledragger

IMG_20200701_203817081.jpg IMG_20200701_205916964.jpg It finally came home! Just before dark, so barely had time for couple pics. Gonna try to get my route done early tomorrow. Will check out front suspension. Tires are 8.25x20. Definitely will get engine #. Door tag shows hp at 180. Guess 4x4's are a little different. Gvw is 15,000 and single speed rear. I know it would be bad idea to have rear in low & engage 4x4.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    youric and scout2000 like this.
  5. Nuckledragger

I had a heck of a time finding the engine #. Took generator & bracket off. Scraped everywhere, no pad. Found head casting 216368-R1 which says it's a 304. The machined pad turned out to be on driver side front, just below head. It's a 304 with 30760. The truck's vin is SB99703D.
    Lucky for me I was wrong about engine lock. It turns over. Must have been starter wires. Better safe than sorry. Now to get it running!
    IMG_20200702_175951508.jpg IMG_20200703_102251110.jpg IMG_20200703_103443261.jpg IMG_20200703_103608269.jpg

6. Nuckledragger

The front springs are on outside of frame. Oil pan is clearanced for the diff. IMG_20200702_183417351.jpg IMG_20200702_183338830.jpg

7. youric

youric Farmall Cub

Cool truck and the right price! I think I've got a couple of decent headlight bezels for that fella. I'll look in my parts piles.

8. Nuckledragger

youric... Thanks, I might need those. Don't know what to do with this yet. No title. The body is beat bad. Shame since no rust. Doors barely open & close. Windshield & everything in front of cab needs replaced. Might be better to do body swap. Or find it a new home.
    Crawled around under the truck. Front end is on bump stops. Good thing it wasn't running yet. Winch PTO was stuck engaged. Got it free. 4x was engaged. Finally freed front but not out of low yet. The rod was laying inside cab U shaped with the crank arm broken. Shifter pin in xcase won't move.
    But, hey! Got it running! Went to friend's house to help move his '75 burgandy scout II he just got. He signed up here. Might not have posted yet. Bought coil on way home. Installed and after couple cranks, it fired up and idled smooth. And popped bad. 2 or 3 cyls popping thru carb. And I mean loud! Tried adjusting timing & points. No help. Plugs, cap, rotor, & points look new. So going to get new wires. Did drive it back & forth in driveway. Very little brakes. Master was empty. Gotta adjust clutch.

9. Nuckledragger

Don't worry, I'll run out of stuff to say soon.
    Removed a valve cover to check condition. Head looks brand new. Heads were rebuilt professionally. Painted check marks on each bolt. Maybe whole engine rebuilt?
    Cleaned all the poo out of cab. Aired up the ancient tires. Only one bled down overnight. Installed some Camaro bucket seats. The 60's car seat was nasty.
    If the drivetrain turns out to be good, I would love to make this my gooseneck hauler. Do I leave it beat but functional, or do body swap? There is a '59 B160 (162?) for sale nearby w/title. It looks good & complete. GVW has to be higher. Has the heavier wheels and 406. Any opinions?
    IMG_20200704_110200167_BURST000_COVER.jpg IMG_20200703_190202352.jpg

10. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Thanks for sharing your vehicle details.

I especially like that pic with the shifters and the heater box.

Not sure if you're aware, when you upload an image, you can click the "full image" button, and it will display on the main thread full sized, or close to it.

Great vehicle find !

1interior.floor.jpg

11. George Yingst

George Yingst Farmall Cub

The B162 should not have a 406 in it?? Probably has a slightly higher gvw but not alot I would bet.
    Personally if you can find another truck at the right price, I'd do the swap. I'm not much into having things too beat up looking and from what I can see that looks very rough. Obviously its up to you, as its your truck.
    As for using it to pull a trailer, if you are staying close to home and not getting on a highway I'd say go ahead. It will be geared way too steep to get any speed out of it on a highway and likely will not have the power to pull any big loads at speed anyways.
    I'd also check the distributor for excessive wear and play. We had a 304 years ago that never ran decent until we figured out the distributor was just totally worn out and it wouldn't stay in any kind of time at all. Kept moving around and jumping all over.

12. Nuckledragger

I got a kick out of all those shifters, too. I figured thumbnails would save storage, but if it doesn't matter I'll go fullsize.
    I'm not an expert on Binders by any means, just worried about GVW and licensing. 15K is probably still too big to drive cheaply. I should've mentioned that my trailer is a 20' gooseneck car hauler. Will just be towing project trucks no bigger than 1ton and small tractors. Would be happy to keep 60mph on level ground and staying local. Plus I'm used to pulling hills at 30mph. The dump bed would come off. I know there are lots of reasons to pass on this idea. If it won't work for a hauler, then I need to sell it. Too many other projects that need money.
    I just got plug wires. We'll see how it runs. If still bad, than I'll look into electronic conversion. The freeze plugs look new, so I'd guess the engine is rebuilt too. So any running problems should be electrical. Clutch looks new. The truck was last registered as a farm truck in 2003 as far as I can tell.