196 engine

Discussion in 'The Machine Shop' started by Skip hall, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Skip hall

Skip hall Farmall Cub

can I use 196 industrial engine in 800

2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

subscribed

I learn something new here every day. Was not aware that IH produced industrial engines, assuming that this is what you were suggesting.

Curious to see where this thread will lead.

3. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

yes, IH sold the engines they used in their vehicles and farm equipment for use as stationary engines running things like pumps and generators. Think about your little generator with a 5hp engine that is made to run at 3600RPM all day long. Now think about the IH SV engines, also made to run at those speeds, which is close to redline, all day long. Now think about a small block Chevy, running at redline all day long.... until it throws a rod through the block. It also makes these engines, if in good condition, appropriate for running something from a power takeoff for extended periods (such as a compressor or pump).

4. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Good question. I bet that if anything is different, it might be that different mounting holes are drilled out and you would have to drill (or have a machine shop drill) out the ones you need to mount it. Then again, they might be exactly the same.

5. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

What would it be replacing?​
    My understanding is that the 800 frames differ between the 4- and 8-cyl engines; I don't remember which the six uses. Others here can fill you in on any important considerations like that once we know what the 800 came with.

6. scout2000

The 6's && 8's use the same frame and have the larger engine compartment. Master-of-the-obvious comment here on my part, but the inline 6 is going to be the longest engine and require the most room, length wise.

7. scout2000

Under the IH umbrella of products, small/stationary engine wise, I'd much rather have an IH hit and miss engine :

https://www.old-engine.com/ihc4.htm

Honestly though, red line or not, I don't want anything running @ 3600 RPM. My last duty station before I left the military, I was in the deep south, just off the Mexican border at a pilot training base. As I made weekend trips towards civilization occasionally, I observed several old industrial Chrysler Hemi engines being used for water irrigation service. This was early to mid 1990's. One of those would be cool, for something on the larger side.

I'd much rather have (and have been looking) for a Lister (or Listeroid) 650 RPM low speed diesel.

http://adicogroup.com/international/prod-diesel-engine.html

I really need to win the lottery..............soon.

8. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

I was finally able to buy a Listeroid a few years ago to satisfy that itch. They are fun to tinker with.

scout2000 likes this.
  9. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

When I was scouting for old machinery in the early 1970's, I found a fellow who'd had two Best 75 Tractor engines mounted 'stationary' for pumping (recirculating?) water in large greenhouses. Here's a Video of one such old tractor while Here is a link to a book with information about the company and how Best merged with Holt to become Caterpillar. I did a bit of work on and have driven a Best 60 tractor.

I have a brass Maker's Plate off an IH main casting found in a scrap yard; couldn't find any other parts and had no means to even get it, back then. Once winched a Compressed Air Machinery Co. engine out of a shaft in Nevada; someone had decades before gotten its brass plate, which would have been inaccessible against the far wall as found sitting in place in the shaft where it had run a blower to aid the ventilation. Still have this engine; only H & M I have is a small (1-3/4 hp) Jaeger, but I do have a few Throttle-Governed ones including a 6 hp weighing about 1300 pounds.

scout2000 likes this.
  10. scout2000

I am, very much, in awe.

I've been after one of these for longer than I care to share. When you state "fun to tinker with", is it serving any actual useful purpose to you, or is it just fun to watch run right now, for the time being?