1958 IH A series Cabs

Discussion in 'The Truck Stop' started by Dakota Dogman, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Dakota Dogman

Dakota Dogman Farmall Cub

Hi all, been lurking for some time. I've been a Scout fan for ever... only currently own 4 I guess. But I mostly am a driver, not much of a mechanic. So I've lurked around here, learned, but never had reason to sign up and participate. Not smart enough to add much ...

But I've run into an option that has left me with some questions, so here I is...

On the home farm sits a '58 A series grain truck. Pretty sure it is a A160, but can't verify that at the moment (I live about 300 miles from it, which is also preventing me from getting the measurements I want). As with most grain trucks, low miles (comparatively) and straight. No rust, and it still has the "Polled Herefords" picture and lettering on the side. Pretty classy old grain truck.
    As is the case with a lot of the family farms, ours is starting to get parted out.
    I do not need a grain truck... can't figure why a preacher would have any use for it, and BELIEVE ME, I have tried!
    But I am wondering about moving the cab onto a pickup frame. My son is working in a custom shop and the owners are friends of mine, so I even know who... if.

So the basic question is this; are all the A series Cabs the same size? As in, are they interchangeable from pickup to grain truck? Or did they make a larger cab for the grain trucks? It doesn't seem logical to me that they would do that, but my logic doesn't count for much.

Thanks all for wisdom, experience and input (and sorry if I put this in the wrong area, maybe should have gone to skunkworks)

God Bless, matt s

2. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Welcome and never say you're not smart enough to add much. I know very little myself. Everyone here is a pretty patient with new people and you'd be suprised how helpful they are.
    I know there is slight differences in most light to medium cabs but I'm sure someone familiar with the A series with chime in with the correct information. Oh... being a simple bunch to please overall, we like pics...LOL

EDIT: If you don't get an answer here, try again in General Tech. Link: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?forums/general-ih-tech.4/

3. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

I've heard the front fenders have a bigger wheel well opening for the larger tries & wheels but have never needed to measure or compare. 10 years or more ago I had many of those trucks. They're in IHC heaven now.

4. roguemustang

roguemustang Farmall Cub

I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but I'll toss in my .02...I'm not sure about the A line, but I've got a '59 and a '61 B160....and most of the cab is the same as the little brothers. As noted before, the fenders have bigger wheel wells on the bigger trucks. I think (but I'm not positive) that the earlier ones like yours share the rest of the cab. The B160's started making the cabs slightly taller/lower under the doors in '60 or '61....