1958 B160 4x4 BD 264 motor

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by JonGSR, Jan 13, 2019.

1. JonGSR

JonGSR Farmall Cub

I have a very solid B160 project. The engine turns but has not start in years. Less than 7300 on the drive train. How would you go about to get the engine to start?

Attached Files:

2. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

I would start by draining oil and antifreeze,flush cooling system , replace oil filter, take off distributor cap and inspect and clean /renew points ,condenser, cap rotor as necessary,
    inspect and renew spark plugs and wires as necessary, fuel system from tank to pump to carb ,inspected,cleaned replaced /renewed as necessary.
    While plugs are out do compression test wouldn't hurt to put tablespoon of motor oil in each cylinder,
    The condition of fluids drained from engine may dictate other steps/actions needed

Now engine full of oil, cooling system full, clean gas flowing to clean carb, crank it over and verify spark, try starting it , as soon as it's running verify oil pressure

3. Scoutboy55

Scoutboy55 Farmall Cub

Wow, that is a great looking truck. And a good motor to have in it. Do you have any history about it before it was parked? Assuming it was in good running condition when parked, I would do the following:
    Drain whatever oil is in the pan and change the filter. Fill up with new oil, with the thought of changing this oil soon after you get it running.
    Drain the coolant and re-fill with distilled water from the market. Again, once its running, this is going to get flushed and replaced with coolant.
    if you don't see any leaks caused by gravity, I would pull the distributor and find a suitable tool to chuck up in a drill motor to spin the oil pump. Hook up a known working manual style oil pressure gauge so you can verify pressure.
    If you have pressure and no obvious leaks, pull the spark plugs (probably want to replace them anyway) and use a breaker bar and socket to gently turn the engine over 90 degrees at a time while applying the drill operated pressure (you'll need a helper). Turn the crank in its normal direction.
    If it turns over nicely, put the distributor back and find the compression stroke on #1. Phase the distributor so #1 plug.
    You'll need a fresh battery at this point. Crank the engine to see if you have a good starter. Also, there should be oil pressure during this test.
    If this checks out, the fuel system should be investigated. Whatever fuel that's still in the tank is not what you want to use. Get a suitable gas can and run a hose from it to the fuel pump. I like to use a hand vac pump to draw fuel up through the pump all the way to the carb inlet. You can crank the engine too to see if its pumping good fuel.
    At this point, put in the plugs and give it a try. I always like to have a fire extinguisher close by for me or the helper.
    Let us know how it goes.
    I would definitely not hook power to it and crank it over until you do the pre-oil procedure. There's no guarantee you'll hurt something, it just makes better sense to go through all this first.

4. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

Adding to the above, I would pull the valve cover and make sure you don't have any stuck valves as you turn it over by hand.

Dean

5. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

I love that truck! It was tempting. Hopefully you keep us updated on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk