1956 S120 4x4 build in North Georgia

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Gearcraft, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Gearcraft

Gearcraft Farmall Cub

Hello All,

Just got this truck a week ago. Its a 1956 S120 4x4. Runs and drives with only 41k miles. It spent its life on a farm in Montanna. Somehow made its way to Georgia and I ended up with it. Being a farm truck, its pretty beat up but is 99% rust free. I come from the VW world and I am very familiar with rust so this is a real treat. It was named Whiskey by my 3 year old Son so I guess thats what we will call it.

Whiskey has an snow plow looking front bumper with a hydraulic cylinder and a dump bed that was installed early on. Both of these items will be removed if anyone is interested.

My first hurdle was the wheel situation. I want to run modern tires on it and get away from the split ring wheels. After searching for options on this wide bolt pattern, with very little luck, I decided to make my own solution. I have removed the center section of my factory wheels and re-hooped them with 17" Pro-comp steel wheels from $ wheel Parts. The Hoop inner dimension is the exact same as the stock wheel center. A few more tire options in 17" as well. Lots of work to do this but I feel like it is the safest option. Other than a carb rebuild in the next few days, I just want to drive it a little. Not going to be a full resto as the truck is pretty beat up but more of a driver to tinker on.

Thanks for checking it out!
    Billie
    IMG_3805.jpg IMG_4226.jpg IMG_4227.jpg IMG_4230(1).jpg IMG_4234.jpg

CoopVA likes this.
  2. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Cool truck! I like how it looks, clean it up and drive it!
    I am very interested in the wheel conversion. How did you go about it? Just drill out the rivets and weld the centers into the new hoops? Have any pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gearcraft likes this.
  3. Gearcraft

Gearcraft Farmall Cub

Thats the plan. Drive it. I want to drive it to Ohio in August to the big show.

Yes, I drilled the rivets but had to end up cutting the Hoop to get the center out. Tight fit.
    The new wheels were tougher to get apart than the truck wheels. I am going to make a jig to get my backspacing just how I want it and make sure things are straight and true before welding. The new hoop is 17" x 9" wide so I have some room to get the look I want. I will get some other pics as the project moves along. I have 3 days in one wheel so far.
    20190326_173123.jpg

jeff campbell likes this.
  4. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

That is a cool truck. I've been looking for something like that, but can't find anything here in the Mid-west

5. Gearcraft

Gearcraft Farmall Cub

Thanks! I am pretty proud of it. Cannot wait to get my wheels done and drive the thing.

6. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Great idea. Being able to get some raw hoops would make it a lot easier. I’d have to farm out the welding though. My welding isn’t the best. I don’t remember anyone going this route. The custom wheels are $$$ and don’t look great to me.
    If you’ve not been to the Nats before it’s worth the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Gearcraft

Gearcraft Farmall Cub

Yeah I looked for raw hoops but could not find any close enough to work. Customs were not an option. I had recently purchased the Pro-Comp wheels for another project and had them in the pile. Just thought I would measure them for grins and they turned out to be a perfect match. I will post more pics as I make some more progress. I would be willing to share my jig after I am finished if anyone wants to try it. Lots of labor involved but I have more time than money at the moment.

8. Gearcraft

Gearcraft Farmall Cub

So I have been super busy at work and have not made any progress on the truck but I recently came into a 1989 Ford F-250 4x4 7.3L diesel. Any thoughts on a powertrain swap into the S120? The Ford is completed and running/Driving condition.

9. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Dont know how I missed this when you started..but welcome...
    Sweet truck!!!...
    It must be something about Montana ...mine came from there and was 99%rust free as well...

A buddy of mine buit a wheel welder out of a pipe rotater somebody gave him...
    He built a holder for his mig gun...he turns it on and trues the wheel..spots it in place and starts welding...
    It works great...better make darn sure they're straight before welding....

Do alot of measuring before you commit to that Ford swap...I'm not sure on the 56 width but the Ford may be way wider than the IH...that diesel is a huge engine as well...measure measure measure.....

10. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

I know a guy who's done it and says if had it to do over, he wouldn't. It took quite a bit of firewall and and other modification to get it to fit. A 4BT will fit easily and is very close to the weight of the original engine. A 6BT will fit with less work than the 7.3.

Dean