1955 IH Truck Box Body - Need engine (oversize pistons and rings)

Discussion in 'IH Parts America' started by KJC_1955_IH_Box, Aug 2, 2016.

1. KJC_1955_IH_Box

KJC_1955_IH_Box Farmall Cub

Hello all, i am new here and trying to sift through all the information here. I am rebuilding a 1955 IH Truck (Box Body) and am in depsrate need of oversize pistons. Are there any sources? can you buy complete overhauled engines? where?
    much appreciated.

2. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

Do you know what size engine it is? If it happens to be a BD264 we can get you a basic engine overhaul kit but no pistons are available from our supplier. Fell free to call our sales staff at 530-274-1795 for additional information or pricing.

3. KJC_1955_IH_Box

Hi Jeff, the truck is my dad's. I am trying to determine from him whether it is a BD264 or not, and if not, then what...? All i know at this time is that is a 6 cylinder, 30HP Petrol. Engine number SD 220-30674H5. This is information from the Log Book. Not sure if it helps.

4. KJC_1955_IH_Box

Please let me know what the overhaul kit contains. Also, since the engine needs oversize pistons, what options to I have, if the oversize pistons are unavailable? Much appreciated.

5. michael sharp

michael sharp Farmall Cub

I found this on wikipedia so I would say you have a Silver Diamond 220ci engine. If you can't get oversized pistons(and I don't know) you can have the cylinders sleaved or pistons made, but that can get spendy.

"The little Silver Diamonds (220 and 240 cid) engines featured rotating valves and improved carburetor, plus a ceramic fuel filter and hotterspark plugs. LPG engines, which had previously been offered only in L-185 and larger models, were available in trucks as light as the R-150 in the new line."

Also if you want to know for sure what it was built with(they were all MADE TO ORDER) you'll need to order the line setting ticket (LST) that is the build sheet of the truck. Ask your Dad where it is (you couldn't order any thing at an IH dealer with out it). I had to look the dam things up all the time on MicroFesh when they forgot it at home. Michael

6. michael sharp

silver diamond 220 engine kit - IH Engines - Red Power Magazine Community.html

Well that didn't work like I wanted.

7. nhp1127

nhp1127 Farmall Cub

FYI- I recently had to get over sized pistons made for my SD240. Cost around $1,200.

8. KJC_1955_IH_Box

Hello Michael, firstly, thank you for the research and advice.
    1 - You wouldnt know who would be able to sleeve the pistons or have the pistons made, would you (c:
    Unfortunately, the information I posted is all that we have. Dad is the 3rd owner, and doesnt have anything else other than the log book with which it was transferred.
    2 - Sorry for another / more questions, but, where would i get the LST from? Do you have any recommendations?

9. KJC_1955_IH_Box

Hello nhp1127, thank you for the tid-bit information.
    Right now, we are SOL. The pistons cant be used-as-is, so either get oversized, get them re-sleeved, etc.
    Question for you regarding the having them pistons made, so please indulge (c:
    1 - who made them for you and are you satisfied?
    2 - what was the TAT, and what did they need in order to cast the new ones?
    3 - Did they provide new rings, etc., and if not, were you able to get these elsewhere, and where?

Again, sorry for the numerous questions....appreciate everyone's time and assistance.

regards

Kevin

10. nhp1127

nhp1127 Farmall Cub

Howdy,
    Arias Pistons in Gardena, CA (310)532-9737 their website is: ariaspistons.com They making racing and custom pistons and can build anything piston related. My mechanic had them make them so I don't have all the particulars.

11. michael sharp

1---You don't have the pistons sleeved, they (any engine machine shop) will bore out the block than install a thin sleeve to bring it back to stock(standard). If you have pistons made the will bore out you block to match the pistons. They can use any rings(so use easy to get rings) because they have to cut the groves any way. FYI I thought your cylinders were wore out(i.e. too much ring grove) but that your pitons were ok or you could get standard piston(just not oversized ones)
    2--The Wisconsin Historical Society has the Line Setting Ticket. They just need your VIN and money. They just make a copy and send it to you. I have seen some of theirs on here and they look like they were written on at the factory so they're kool but can be hard to read. Some of the IH parts places on line have them also(if they have the old MicroFiche, the copys would be perfect, just like the one that came with the truck when new).
    If you have a good machine shop near by (they are harder to find now) call them and ask. Michael