1954 hough h50 parts

Discussion in 'Tractor Tech' started by IHarvM3h4, Feb 26, 2018.

1. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

i am looking for the gasket between the shift control valves and transmission. this is a 3 speed transmission with the 3 speed foward/reverse. the valves are on the same control block which is bolted to the tranny. any help locating parts for this machine would be great. i had to remove the valve body to free up a stuck valve that controlled 1, 2nd, and 3rd. the forward and reverse valve which is on the same block is free. this loader is powered by a detroit diesel engine which runs amazing the only thing is that it will not move foward or reverse on its own. i am having troubles looking up info on it so i hope someone could give me a hand. Thanks

Big Ed likes this.
  2. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

I have been doing a lot of searching on the web and I did find parts diagrams of the part I need however I cant seem to locate the parts via part number. any help would be great. Thanks. I will post pics tomorrow its dark now lol

3. Packerrailway

Packerrailway High Wheeler

Buy a roll of gasket paper and cut your own! Just get the same type of material that you removed. With a SMALL ball peen hammer gently TAP, GENTLY, to trace out all the needed openings.

4. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

I am going to see if I can take the old gasket off to make a template out of and cut my own.

5. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

the darker spots are where the fluid travels

Attached Files:

6. Packerrailway

Packerrailway High Wheeler

Do what I suggested and then check against the old gasket! The reason for doing it my way is that then you will have EXACT positioning of holes for oil passages. By trying to use the old gasket you will most likely tear it and then have lost correct placement of holes. If the gasket is paper, you can even completely cut out the holes by tapping lightly with the hammer. No mess, no fuss about starting a hole in the middle of the sheet.

Big Ed likes this.
  7. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

sounds like a plan. I will take pics of the machine tomorrow. thanks for the info

8. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

I ended up calling the number from www.dartcotransmission.com with a part number I found for the control valve gasket on the transmission. It only took a few minutes and they have the gasket super easy. Here are a couple pictures of the loader IMG_20180228_092929.jpg IMG_20180228_092909.jpg

9. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

I made the gasket today because the new one wont be here till friday. I put the valve body back on and it moves foward and reverse. Now a good transmission fluid change is in order which I picked up 10 gallons of dextron 3 and am in the process of draining the complete system and cleaning/changing filters. Supposedly the whole system takes 7 1/2 gallons compleatly emptied and 5 1/2 just for a refill because the tranny that is in it is a 3531-1. So that is where im at IMG_20180228_125955.jpg

10. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

Cool little loader. I bought a loader last year. Really wanted an IH, but they were either too expensive or too far away. Ended up with a Terex 3-1/4 yard. I’ll be interested to watch you progress on yours.

11. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

I am in it for the long haul thats for sure but it will be worth bringing this old gal back to life, shes been sleeping way too long

12. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

What state are you in?

13. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

I am up in new hampshire. For the past few days its been really warm which is amazing for up here this time of year temps in the 50 so I was able to do some work on it. What year is your Terex

14. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

That’s a cold area. Don’t think I can work on mine because it’s in sunny California though, it’s at 5,300 feet elevation in the Sierra mountains. I’ve been watching the forecast waiting for it to warm up. It’s a 1977 with 4 cylinder Detroit Diesel. It had no brakes when I got it, had to replace a bunch of parts.

15. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

That`s a nice loader. Is it normal for them to rev before the transmission engages? I haven`t been around a lot of older equipment before so i`m unsure of how they operate. The hough i`m working on now is a first for me but i`ve got to start somewhere. Just on reading some of the posts here on the website has taught me quite a bit about what I should be looking for. I changed the transmission fluid in the hough and put a new shift control valve gasket in it because I had taken it off to free up a stuck valve for the gear selector. The machine dosen`t seem to want to move in high range however intermediate and low seem to work but requires some rpm to move. I pulled up to a rock in the driveway and in low the tires will spin. I`m not sure if its supposed to take a lot of rpm to move it or is that just normal?

16. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

Doesn’t sound normal. Can you post a video?

17. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

I will make a video in a couple days because the weather is not the best up in new hampshire at the moment. Also I got new fuel filters for it so Im going to drain the old fuel out of the tank which who knows how old that is and replace the filters.

18. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

I have filters for mine too, waiting for a chance to go do it.

19. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

I was having a problem where it would start,idle fine and rev up nice and healthy but all the sudden as I started moving snow banks and probably sloshing the fuel around in the tank it would lack power and slowely die out. Its got about 15 gallons of fuel in the tank but it could be mixed with water and really old so some nice fresh fuel and filters is in order.

20. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

My tractor mechanic friend also told me to add diesel injector cleaner, he said it works wonders.