1950 L130 Hub and drum interchange?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Bk1949, Jun 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bk1949

Bk1949 Farmall Cub

Hey guys, just picked up a 1950 L130 stepside. I'm in need of all 4 drums as mine were torched off by whoever pulled the truck off the farm. Does anyone know what years and models will work? My other thought was possibly changing hubs, drums and backing plates to those from a later model year. I read somewhere that the backing plate bolt pattern stuck around for awhile. An help/info is greatly appreciated.

2. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

welcome...what bolt pattern do you have?.... if its the "big 6"...then brake parts for some of these are almost nonexistent...
    which leads to a lot of drivetrain swaps..
    pictures help..

scout2000 likes this.
  3. Bk1949

Bk1949 Farmall Cub

4. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

5. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I'm going to repeat some already made (but excellent) comments by previous posters.

Normally, my go to suggestion would be to search the forum archives, there is a wonderful wealth of information that those before you have toiled hard to create. However, I did an L130 search myself, and things were pretty light as far as returns for me. My yahoo-fu may just be off today, possibly you may have better luck.

Of those in my search hits, most were non-technical, and only this one mentioned brakes

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...-to-forum-not-new-to-binders.8654/#post-57011

Unfortunately, nothing I see in that post that would provide any technicals on new brake parts for your L130.

If I were in your shoes, there are (2) options I would pursue, and in this order.

1st - I would head over to OldIHC.org and see if you find any resources better suited over there. I love BinderPlanet, but if you've spent any time here, its obvious that we are Scout (and S2) focused/heavy.

2nd - if the 1st option doesn't pan out, and depending on how much you love your truck, I would consider the option of replacing your axles with newer counterparts that have component availability for 2020 and beyond. If you search our forum archives (I strongly suggest you do), you'll notice any number of 1950's and earlier truck with new/modern axles installed, replacing otherwise serviceable OEM axles for lack of brake components.

If you do find usable brake components for your L130, either at OldIHC.org or some place else, I would request that you make a summary post here, so that others in the future might benefit from your newly acquired knowledge.

Good luck with your L130, for brake components and anything else you might need.

6. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

scout2000 likes this.