1948 panel wagon repower project

Discussion in 'Great Lakes Binders' started by michigan scout, Nov 11, 2018.

1. michigan scout

michigan scout High Wheeler

I am taking this 1948 panel wagon and pulling seized engine. my first experience working on a kb. couple years ago I posted a project it was a 1931 REO that i put a IH v-8 in it. i sold that truck to buy this panel wagon. I bought the engine back and putting it in this panel wagon. I hope it fits and wondering what challenges I will face. so far learning how to disassemble things has been going fairly well. I took hood off as need to weld on hinge mount, then pulled radiator and then front clip all together. the one picture of the REO is out doing hay, that IH engine has a auto behind it.

Attached Files:

2. michigan scout

a few more of progress pics, I pulled floors to make easier access to trans. I right off the bat see brakes will be a challenge as pedal us mounted on trans support.

Attached Files:

3. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

Nice Score!!
    There is one like it for sale locally, no motor or trans. I looked at eailer this year, it has an S10 front under it--he said it was a near bolt up.

Have you seen or heard of this one?
    http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2018/01/look-at-this-incredible-snap-on-van.html

Hemmings had an article about it, guy built it for his tool business. He couldn't get IH stuff, so it has a 72 C10 rear and he was able to adapt the C10 brake drums and backing plates to the IH axle.

This will be an interesting one D, keep on posting.

JJ in TN

4. michigan scout

ok, that metro is amazing . do you have pics or info on the one local? i am challenged by parts, if it was d series or scout2 I would be in alot better shape. I will keep pics going. green diamond is pulled now!

Attached Files:

5. J.J.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was for sale in the Nashville Craigslist but I don’t see it there now. I’ve got the guys info if you want it? He is not an IH guy, just a local hot rodder. Text me if you want his info.

JJ in TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

I like your project!
    The SV8 is a fairly large small block. The original steering box location is behind the axle which helps with a wider engine. You're going to have to be a little creative with the column linkage.
    Dean

7. michigan scout

A few pictures of the 1st go on the engine install. Looks like I will be able to miss the steering box, may have to notch the fram a little for exhaust??? I will use, somehow, on of the trans mounts I have laying around as scene in the picture for the rear of the trans. I wanted to use the one that mounts on the front of the trans but the master cylinder prevents that unless I move a master to the firewalll etc and change all that stuff. The trans in the picture is being held up by the old trans mount which I i will cut out. The front engine mount is similar to the old one. I will have to fab up a ship plate for the front. I think I can use a 1" thick piece of steel should work. The rear of the trans I will use a mount I found or cur a piece of channel and use that. The big question is, leave master where is with original pedal, or try to modify something else and move to firewall? Makes a huge difference how the trans will be mounted. The back of the trans now need to be lowered about 4" but either mounting will alllow for that. Either way I have to cut the entire old trans cross memeber out (trans pan sitting on it now) or just leave a portion to leave the master cylinder intact. Attached are some pictures.

Attached Files:

8. michigan scout

a few more pics. the mount on tail of trans will come off it was on the REO

Attached Files:

9. michigan scout

more time than progress, but getting it close to its mounting position. got frame notched for starter and one side done for manifold. had to remove the brake switch off the master it was hitting the bell housing. will just plug it and mount a new one. hoping to keep the same brake pedal etc, but if not I will move to firewall. i welded some tube steel to a piece of channel which will be my rear mount but I think I made a mistake...dont think I need to drop it, May be jyst mount channel to bottom of frame. ??? will give a crack at it again sat...

Attached Files:

10. michigan scout

got it mounted. cut a driveshaft down from a 75 pickup. going to get front brake lines replaced and hydralic hoses along with electrical before I put front clip back on. Could not use any of the IH mounts I had in any configuration so used some puck poly bushings to mount trans. Have them top and bottom of the fabricated cross brace. next need to come up with a battery box or tray. holiday weekend coming up so hope to get some things done on it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  11. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Do you just need a battery tray or a box ?

12. michigan scout

Jeff, If I had just a tray would rock...

13. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Ok I get picks after work

14. michigan scout

got gas tank out and rear floor. installing scout auto shifter where old floor manual shifter was. think I can make a shifting tower look decent on it. need a gas tank. got a gas pedal fabricated in, I used 74/75 D series pedal. alot of bending. started on master cylinder replacement , brake switch going to hit block so putting a elbow on and try to move on top. got front hydraulic lines replaced and going to replace brake lines. trying to get whatever u can done before I get front clip on. once I get front clip on i have to come up with a radiator??? takes so much time figuring stuff out but I am making progress.. also I got the exhaust removed, muffler has a ih logo on it, kinda be cool clean up and I envision a upright lamp???

Attached Files:

15. J.J.

D, with all of your hyperactivity going on with this project, you'll be driving it by Feb 1, 2019!

Good to have that stash of stuff laying around, love that it is all IH.

Keep you the good work!

JJ in TN

michigan scout likes this.
  16. michigan scout

took old gas tank and made a new one, looks more like a fuel cell. I cut 2 pickup loads of firewood to trade for it. guy did good job making it. got new master in had to reposition brake light stop switch was hitting bell housing since new engine is bigger. cut floor and welded brace in to access battery since shifter hooked to trans would have to unbolt shifter each time. having trouble getting alot done with work and all.

Attached Files:

17. michigan scout

here is gas tank, you can see how rusted it is. coating new tank currently made it a little longer so have to move brace on frame to accomidate it but think it's around 20 gallons. I looked at cost of fuel cells deffinetly good trade tank for 2 pick up loads of firewood. am a little soar from hand splitting it lol...the one pic is inside tank it's full of stuff. next I got to buy a sending unit for new tank. will post pic of new tank shortly

Attached Files:

18. michigan scout

more of a update, gas tank in all new electrical run for lights etc..all new brake lines wheel cylinder rebuilds etc...need a rear drum. engine in place all wired.

Attached Files:

19. michigan scout

got a scout shifter in, a bench seat out of a dakota, gas pedal out of a 75 travelall. engines really good in there. 2 weeks then she gets all new exhaust

Attached Files:

20. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

That engine does fit! Better than I would have expected.
    Dean