152 Cam Bearing

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by joelm, Feb 1, 2014.

1. joelm

joelm Farmall Cub

While getting my 800 with a 152 going, we are going to replace the cam bearings. Suggestions, problems while doing them??? What about lubing while installing. Thanks

2. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

best way is to let the machine shop do them, install dry, lube up the cam before cam install. in the service manual, it show's 2 points that really need a lot of attention to get them in right for lifter clearance. jeff

3. 76-scout-MATT

76-scout-MATT High Wheeler

I did mine on a 345... they go in dry as jeff stated ... don't know any particulars about a 152 ... on the 345 there are holes that are important to line up for oiling .. and your welcome to bearing install tool that I have if you need it

4. R290

R290 High Wheeler

There are no machine shop left that could do a better job that you doing them.

Ok there might be a few shops out there, but one could count them on 1 hand in the USA.

All the real mechanics have retired.

I bought the tool off of ebay, did some practice on an old motor and old bearings. After a few trys its not that hard. Holding the long heavy bar is the toughest part to do the rear bearing. After about 3 months I sold the tool on ebay for what I paid for it.

is there an art to it? not really, just some practice.
    Used the tool to remove and reinstall your old bearings to get in practice.
    If you can do it with the bottom end removed, that would make it a ton easier to see. But I done them with every thing installed. You just need to find a spot to see the bearing to get it in the middle, when looking from each side.

5. robgimmel

robgimmel Binder Driver

The biggest concern is the rear bearing. You have a plate with an oil groove cut in it. Make sure the bearing is slightly below flush so that oil flow into the oil groove in the plate is not obstructed.

6. robgimmel

robgimmel Binder Driver

By the way, welcome to the forum, a lot of knowledge here that everyone is willing to share.:)

7. jauringer

jauringer High Wheeler

Exactly what I would have said.

You have 3 critical areas;

1.Oil hole alignment: very easy to accomplish.

2.#5 bearing placement: Another very easy process as long as you know what the process is. Rear bearing is installed just far enough back to completely open the oil hole from the mains. Not a hair further.

3.Cam fitment: This is most important one. Cam has to spin easily with only finger pressure. Rotated several times, then pulled so bearings can be checked for zero clearance areas "shiny spots". Then dealt with appropriately.

If you take it to a machine shop make sure they're aware of #2. Also leave your cam with them and tell them you want it's installation verified and fitted appropriately.

Then you can verify the above yourself when you're there to pick it up.

Jason

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  8. R290

R290 High Wheeler

I've posted pic's, plus others have too.

by learning all you can is always helpful