1510 Frankenstein 4x4

Discussion in 'The Truck Stop' started by Beachead, Dec 10, 2015.

1. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

I think that you got a good deal, thats alot of truck there and you'd never come close to replacing it for that! WIndsheild gaskets are available from Super Scout. I went outside to take some pics of my '75 HD 200 2WD, it is a close brother to yours:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has the same lug pattern as yours, and is painfully stock, all the way down to the radio delete in the dash other than the PO got rid of the split rims. I got it from the original owner in Kentucky last spring.

Scott I never heard that theory about the front fenders related to tire size, I only know that John Glancy told me that they never put that type of front fender on a 500, he was proved incorrect (to his credit he acknowledged it) with mine. The dealer literature from the day all show the large fenders on a 1510 or a 500. Perhaps as mine was one of the last produced before production ceased they were building out of what was available. Looking at beached's truck tells me it had been recabbed with a deluxe pickup.

Regardless, beached has a very cool truck, and it is going to be really neat to see what he does with it!

JJ in TN

2. ByronRACE

ByronRACE Farmall Cub

My step van is on a IH 1510 chassis and I'm looking to upgrade to hydroboost. The pictures of your rear end look the same as mine, only mine is a 5 lug BUDD big-5 pattern. Does yours have two wheel cylinders per rear drum? If so, what size GM master cylinder did the guy use? Napkin math says the volume the master cylinder displaces could be worrysome for the rear brakes and could leave you in a situation where you'd have no rear brakes if they fall a bit out of adjustment because the master doesn't displace enough volume to completely feel all 4 rear wheel cylinders. I'd be curious to know details about that; I'm going to be proceeding with an upgrade to hydraboost soon and am not sure what to do.

3. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

I like that tan color on your 75, I think I have a Scout ii front fender in same color hanging in garage. I never thought about the cab from a pickup being put on, but it sounds like that may have been what happened.

The AC condensor and lines are still in truck, the lines just dead end, and are hanging where the pump would have been. It probably wouldn't take much effort or parts to get it going??
    Here are a couple shots of underneath, crossmember and engine mounts.
    20160121_165141.jpg
    20160121_165221.jpg
    20160121_165235.jpg
    20160121_165207.jpg
    20160121_165311.jpg
    20160121_165412.jpg
    20160121_165447.jpg

4. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Byronrace-
    I've only had the truck a few weeks so far and have yet to get into much with it, so I am not too familiar with the brakes yet. I can take some pics of the plumbing from the booster and power steering etc, if you like.
    I plan on taking a look into the brakes when I get my new wheels....hopefully soon.
    I drove it a couple miles home when I bought it, and I can say the truck had no problem stopping and the pedal feels solid.

5. J.J.

Thank you sir, the color works for the truck.
    Whomever did that conversion did a really slick job! It looks factory, all the way from the motor mounts to the radiator hose. Looks like a stock IH radiator to me.
    I am curious about the transfer case, in an IH it would be hanging from the crossmember, but there are guys out there who have added a lower crossmember for extra support. Does yours hang as well as feature the lower crossmember? That would be one stout setup!
    As far as the ac, I don't know the Caddy motor, but surely a compressor could be added pretty easy and lines made up. The hardest part would be the vacuum motors, but really not a big deal as I found a work around:
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/d-truck-vacuum-motor.107622/

Also, if you wanted to get a LST, you can either call or email the Wisconsin Historical Society and be ready to give them $20 for one. You'll need to have your VIN number handy, if you call them, it takes about 10 minutes, well worth it!

Email: askmccormick@wisconsinhistory.org

McCormick Collection Online: www.wisconsinhistory.org/mccormick

Wisconsin Historical Society

816 State Street

Madison, WI 53706

Phone: (608) 264-6410

Cheers!

JJ in TN

6. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

That's what I thought when I first looked at it, that's what sold me, all the hard work was done.
    I figured the radiator was IH and not GM, probably was easier to keep that in place. Hopefully it will be enough.
    It looks like my tcase is on top of the crossmember. That's how Jeep has always done it, and incorporated a skidplate in the crossmember as well. Now looking at it under there, I may add a piece of plate to act as such on this. I may as well go full on war rig with it...haha.

I will look into the AC thing, be cool to have it functional. Thanks for the article, I may need that tip.

My 79 Scout ii actually still has the LST in the glove box which was cool. I suppose the LST for this vin plate isn't going to be for the cab, but the chassis......maybe? Still worth the 20 beans.

7. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

8. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Feel bad for you guys. We're just catching the northern edge of that. Snowing lightly now but it looks like we'll only get a dusting to 1". 60 miles south of us appears to be getting 12-14'' with high winds along the coast. The heavy snow line was south of Boston and the totals dropped off fast north of it. We got lucky this time.

9. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Yeah, we got a good bit, not sure on total amount. The drifts are crazy because of the wind. My friend on the shoreline in CT said they got 16". That's where I'm from originally, and am no stranger to the snow.

10. J.J.

If only the plow setup was still on :)
    We got about 10 inches out here when it was all said and done, my old '76 Terra got us thru just fine.

JJ in TN

11. BloodyKnuckles

BloodyKnuckles Farmall Cub

This excites me!

I installed a rebuilt Cadillac 500 and an NV4500 with a divorced 205 in my daily driven '63 C1300. I did this conversion about 5 years ago I think. I probably have about 70,000 miles on it so far. It is an incredible work horse.

Your truck is way cool. Get the bugs worked out and you'll truly enjoy it!

12. DNL

DNL Binder Driver

Bloody Knuckles,
    Do you still run the Michelin 1100x16s on your truck?

13. BloodyKnuckles

BloodyKnuckles Farmall Cub

No, I do not. I now run a 20" vintage steel wheel with a 39" commercial tire.

They're not as aggresive and don't look as nice but they perform extremely well. IMG_20160130_192125.jpg

Darren Y. likes this.
  14. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Thanks
    Yup, I am just waiting for weather to get a bit better before I start some real work on it. I need to finish with a motor swap and plow setup on my CJ7 I have in garage right now....then it's game time.

15. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Does anyone know the color green that is on my truck?....name or paint code? I'm looking to see if I can get it in a spray can for when it comes time. I don't need a show truck, just a 20 footer or so.

16. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  17. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Ok, yeah... I was thinking it was the lime green too, just going by some quick searches. I will try and remember to call for the lst this week, should be interesting to see. Thanks for link.

18. J.J.

Spring is coming....

JJ in TN

19. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Well, I have this old Warn 8274 on the shelf I wasn't using and figured it would look perfect somewhere on this rig. My plan is to fab up a mount between the framerails using a winch plate from my CJ7. I'm unsure if I am going to try and find a factory front bumper for it, and alter that to accommodate winch. I kinda like it with just the winch on the front really...

I know it's only an 8k winch, but my plan is to swap on a 12k-15k Warn later on by just switching the plates....only four bolts. Then possibly rear mount the 8274 under the bed, between the frame....which is being optimistic.

Here is a rough idea of what it may look like, minus the stump obviously. Hope to pick up some steel this week and start on it between other projects.
    20160311_175029.jpg

20. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Mine I am doing a front receiver hitch on my 1210. It will be tie'ed to the frame really good. Then have a Warn 12.5ti on it. It will be removable but mounted on 1/2'' plate with tube. It will be removable but will weigh close to 150#. lol That way I can keep the stock bumper.