1510 Frankenstein 4x4

Discussion in 'The Truck Stop' started by Beachead, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

I'm thinking of buying a 72 1510 4x4 dually dump here locally. I'm not too familiar with these trucks, but do have a Scout ii.

This truck I'm looking at is pretty solid with a 500 caddy motor in it. My questions are regarding the axles and wheels. I've been doing some looking online but it seems there is very limited info on these trucks....which makes me slightly hesitant to get into one, due to rarity of parts.

Anyway, the wheels are 8 lug and I believe are 17.5 diameter. I've never heard of a 17.5 wheel and haven't seen much on the 8 lug wheel either. I believe the axle is the dana 70f and the rear is a non dana axle, with round pumkin. The tire size is 8-17.5.

Does anyone know if these are factory wheels and could I possibly swap out to something more common?

Lastly, it will need a new windshield. Does anyone know of a source for one?

I am trying to put some pics up from my phone but it's not working. Will try later.
    20151206_100748.jpg
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  2. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

Beachead, A 1510 4x4 would've been a very special factory order; the vast majority are 2WD. The OEM wheels/tires would've been either 7.50-17 tube-type tires on 6" wide wheels, or 7.50 or 8.25-20 tube-type tires also on 6" wide wheels. The bolt pattern would've been a 5-hole Budd pattern.

Years ago, we had a 59 Ford 1-ton with 8-17.5 tubeless tires and it may have had 8-hole wheels. I don't have any idea of the availability of those tires. My guess would be, that since the engine (and probably trans) are not original, a previous owner swapped in 4x4 running gear from an old 1-ton (possibly even an IH 1310).

Brake parts for the original axles are challenging to obtain so, depending on which axles are under the 1510, brake parts might actually be easier to get. The windshield should be the same as the 1010, 1110, 1210, or 1310 pickups/travelalls and quite possibly the same as the 75-76 Fleetstar 2010A and 2050A.

If you wanted to swap axles, and maintain the 12000-15000 lb GVW that the 1510 originally had, you'd need to be looking at least at something like a Ford F-450... I have no idea what the spring centers and compatibility would be.

Post up some photos... Good Luck, Mike

3. Geoff

Geoff Farmall Cub

4. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

5. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

The front should be a closed knukle 70. They rear should be an eaton axle. The lug pattern should be the big 5 style. The wheels should be 17's and 20's were options.

But do you have any pictures?

6. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

7. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Ok, there are the pics. I got some more info on the truck. Apparently the old guy that had it before this owner was frustrated at lack of parts availability and swapped the 500 Caddy in place of the 392, along with the TH400 tranny with what looks like a 205 tcase. He also switched the brakes over to GM hydro boost?? I guess that would explain the 8 lugs?? So I do think the axles are factory 4x4 IH 1510. I am meeting up with owner on Wednesday and if motor is as good as he say, I'll probably be owning it. It is just too cool.

8. stroker3

Looks like it might be a 1310. Did you check the ID tag on the door or if the LST is still behind the glove box? Real decent looking truck. Looks like it has 69 fender marker light/emblem with a 71 grill.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  9. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

I couldn't get in the truck yet, but tomorrow I will be looking it all over. I'll check the title and the line ticket if it in there still. He states it's a 72 1510.

10. stroker3

Could be the 'when sold' thing or some panels have been swapped out over the years. 72 had a split grill, smaller markers and some minor interior changes, not a big deal. Whether it's a 1510 or a 1310 doesn't make the truck anything less either. It'll have a lower gvw and just not as rare. Still a nice looking truck. From under it looks like the 71' 1310 4x4 dually here .

Unsure if you know or not but if you get it, the 'L' on the wheel studs means it has left handed threads. Saves some frustration realizing it beforehand........

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  11. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Well, I got it. Thing is a monster. I'll be going over the whole truck in the near future. I'll try and post up some pictures as I progress.

20151220_162617.jpg
    20151220_145230.jpg
    20151220_162508.jpg

12. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Hard to tell from your pictures, but the 1500's have a taller frame right behind the cab. The 12/1300 have a shorter frame with the hump starting closer to the axle, they used a spacer to mount the beds. The flat beds mounted right on the frame for the 1500.
    And glove box is gone so no LST ticket.

Whats the door say?

13. stroker3

Had the same color green in a D series 1100, still have the glove box on a shelf if you're interested....

14. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

The tag on door says 1510, 15,000 gvw 156 wheelbase.

Yes, I am interested in the glove box door. Sent message. Thanks

15. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Well there you go lol. It looks to have Dana 70 front with 8 lug wheels. The axles might have been swapped out or might haven been ordered or done at dealer. The 1500 had the large 5 pattern. You can order the LST and see what if came with.

Looks like the rims have been changed as they look one piece. Also the 1500 with 20'' rims had larger front wheel well openings.

16. stroker3

Not perfect but usable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  17. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Here is a lame video of the 500 running in the truck. The big 33 gal tank needed some cleaning out, so it's running on gas can temporarily. The carb needs some work, accelerator pump leaks under throttle, among other things so I have a rebuild kit for it.
    The motor seems to run good, even before a tune up. No oil leaks and pretty quiet. ..until you get to the stright pipes out back.
    Yes, the video is sideways....sorry. Not sure how to fix that.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  18. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

Kind of.

Here is my former '75 500 which became the 1510 after 1974. The frame is wide all the way under the cab, and goes skinny about the firewall area. Also, this one has regular pickup/Travelall fenders on it, so they didn't always use the wider and more cut out fenders all of the time. John Glancy and I got into a discussion about this, and this truck proves that theory about the large fenders exclusively on 1510s as not correct. I also have a '75 Heavy 200 10,000 GVW truck that is very close to what this one is except it it 2WD. I would guess also that it had a cab swap in its life, note how it has ac and the nice deluxe interior. Unless special ordered, this would probably not be on this type of truck from the factory. It is (and from the interior) a 69-71 cab and front end. Dash, marker lights, ac unit etc all from that era as it completly changed from '72 on. That also looks to me to be a GM transfer case shifter, no big either as they used NP 205s as well. I would be interested to see what the crossmember looks like. It is a good thing that it has hyroboost as the old Midland style of MC is very rare, even in a core form.

This is a very very cool old truck, and it would be interesting to know its history.

Do you have the front bumper for it, it would have been a large "C" channel type.

Do the stock guages work with the Caddy stuff?

About the windshield, production had been discontinued several years ago, so they were becoming hard to source. I have heard that there is new chinese production, but have yet to see one in person, so I don't know for sure. You might try a real auto glass company to see what is out there. Use the search function, as then you will be able to find the glass part number.

Best of luck!

JJ in TN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Yeah That must be why the cab sets higher the frame and the use of the larger front bumper.

The way it was explained to me is the Reg fenders were used on 1500/500 trucks with 17'' wheels. And the 20'' wheel trucks got the larger opening due to larger tires.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  20. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Wow, I learn more about the truck with every post, thanks.
    I knew there had to be something up with the actual identification of the truck when the glove box was missing and the guy I bought it from had the vin plate paper clipped with title. Not to mention the different lug pattern, grill, etc.
    I am fine with all that though, it's still cool and the work looks to be done clean and correct.

If I have time before the snow comes, I will go under and take some pics of crossmember and all. I would lift the bed up but it is full of cedar tree limbs at the moment.

The previous owner actually had a good windshield he gave me with truck, so I scored there, along with five extra roof lights. I just need to source new rubber around windshield.

I believe the oil pressure gauge is functional, but that's all right now. And the AC that the truck...rather cab had, was never put on the 500, but oh well. I do not have a bumper for it, as it had a plow mount bolted there. Apparently it was not used to plow...all that was there was the mount, and that was just on with two bolts, so I removed that and may fabricate a bumper to hold a big boy winch.

By the way, I paid 3k for the truck....not sure if that's a deal but it seems like a lot of truck for that amount. I may not have paid that if it didn't have the 500 and the GM brake setup on it.

As I progress with the truck, I will post updates and pictures. I have some cool plans for the truck...front and rear winches, body work, better wood for sides of bed and so on.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016