1300D 4x4 Brake Parts Cross reference & Opinions

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by mjmck, Dec 26, 2019.

1. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

This is what comes up for Wagner on RA. However I think these are for a 2wd because there are listings that state 4WD.
    WC's.PNG

These are the 4wd options:
    4wd.PNG

2. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

37250 and 37251 should be the correct ones. The two things to check are the size of the fitting and the bore diameter. They cost about 17 dollars at Napa. The bore should be 1-3/16 and it should have the 3/8 flare fitting.

mjmck likes this.
  3. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Went out and grabbed some more "in-depth" pictures of the WC's. The one is for sure original (and nasty) with Bendix markings and a barely visible part number. The newer one seems to be a Wagner casting number:
    20191231_095659.jpg
    20191231_095825.jpg

4. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

It would appear that the Wagner part is out of production. I found some, but not at the normal parts places and they are very pricey. Sometimes the NAPA branded parts are MIUSA and I have found them to be better quality than average.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tim vaughan and jeff campbell like this.
  5. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

I've seen casting numbers on some brands refer to multiple part numbers. That makes sense as many of those kind are indentical except for the hose fitting which is determined by the final machining operation. The part number is useful but allways verify the bore and hose fitting.

6. Rayray

Rayray Farmall Cub

So my 1210 1973 4x4 emergency cables are a emergency can find them ? Is there any other replacement cable cause brakes are ford?

7. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

Ray, the brakes are Bendix. Bendix is a supplier to all major manufacturers. They modify the basic design for the manufacturer application.

Is your rear axle from a Ford? Ford uses a different cable attachment than IH. Dodge uuses the same attachment as IH.
    You can swap the levers from one style to the other.

Im going off memory here but, iirc IH used the same cables on both rear wheels and they came together near the center of the truck. Ford and dodge use a longer right cable and they come together along the drivers frame rail.

I would look up information on the dodge cables since they attach to the levers like IH.

Note, i don't know what difference if any there is at the pedal end.

8. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

That is a very good idea..... same rabbit hole most of us jump into. Then one day you'll look around at all your salvageable prize possessions and ask yourself ....damn......what was I thinking??........:laugh:

mjmck and tim vaughan like this.
  9. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

So, I went out today in search of new front rubber lines:
    20200111_130956.jpg

Long story short I am at a loss. People at NAPA couldn't cross reference anything. I even went to the local NAPA warehouse where the computer person is usually knowledgeable. All they had to offer was this part which is obviously the wrong length and wrong knuckle end:
    20200111_121322.jpg

We also tried Autozone and that was just a waste of life and my oxygen.

I'm about ready to just spend the $120 and get 2 from superscouts as posted prior in this thread however their online product picture shows a male and female, while mine is a combo female & male on one end and female on the other. Worried once I recieve it may actually be wrong (even though the part number matches my MT-124 sheet. Any help or a cross reference that is real would be greatly appreciated! Close ups first is the knuckle side and second is where it connects through the frame:
    20200111_131931.jpg
    20200111_131957.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  10. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Can’t help with a cross reference but before you spend the money for a part that isn’t a direct fit, check for a local hydraulic hose shop that could make a set for you.
    I had a set made once and it was reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stroker3 and mjmck like this.
  11. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I hope this makes sense,it was a few years ago,and I don't have the truck anymore.On the drivers side I did away with the factory connection where the hose connected through the tee.I installed a regular TEE and a hose with a short piece of steel line to the tee.I did get hoses at napa,they have a catalog (not on the computer) that shows pictures of the hose ends.

12. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

I know exactly what your referring to. Bunch of FB people were asking for measurements so I grabbed an extra pic.
    20200111_223900.jpg

13. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

I don't know if this link will work:
    https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/catalog-part-search.html
    but you can check the attributes of p/n BH4000.
    It's the only hose I see listed and it's for RWD.
    Edit: Link didn't work the way I wanted it to but if you do an application search, one hose returns.
    P/n BH4000, looks like it is short based on your measurement.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  14. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Call IH Parts America Monday. I've allways had good luck with them. They should be able to check all the relevant doecs before sending it out so you can make sure you have the right part.

mjmck likes this.
  15. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

This was the only part NAPA listed. In one of the pi tures I posted you can see 78-4000. Confirmed it is shorter and the fitting on the knuckle side is incorrect.

Gringo Gomez likes this.
  16. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

So I was given a few part numbers on a FB request of Dorman: H38289, and Raybestos BH38289. These looked VERY promising but for some reason the female threads on the knuckle end dont coincide with mine. Rough measurements are 7/16 on the frame side and 3/8 on the knuckle. The stock pic shows both 7/16's. Length is correct. See pics for reference:
    20200112_081542.jpg 20200112_081604.jpg

17. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Did some more research and went to NAPA to look at the 38289 unit and the external threads are too big at 7/8. Mine are 5/8.

Going to a custom hose place to get a quote as well as reaching out to some Light Line dealers Monday.

18. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Don't you have a small piece of hard line on the wheel cylinder side with a 3/8 flare fitting. Make a new hardline and use an "adapter" flare nut. The "adapter" nut fits the small 3/16" line, but is 7/16" napa has them for about 2 bucks. Is the truck all original? Or is it a mishmash of parts, some not even from an ih like many of ours. If it's the former, I see the point in getting the right hose. Give ihpa a call. If the latter, make 100% sure that hose listed will work, except the 7/8 fitting, then drill the hole out, then take a photocopy of your kind set ticket, write on the back what part number the hose was, and what vehicle it came from, and put it in an envelope stuck to the back of the glove box.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    mjmck likes this.
  19. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

You hit it right on point. Today at NAPA I was ready to buy the slft lines lines and replace the small hardline at the knuckle with a 6" adapter section. This was when I realized the 7/8's issue. This will require drilling the frame out on both sides along with revamping the T as previously discussed here. I'm really trying to keep it all OEM style as possible and so far this truck has been very original. Learned a lesson going down a molehill on my mustang with custom stuff.

20. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Then I'd call the light line dealers first.

mjmck likes this.