“Jump seats”?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by CalebW, Jul 21, 2018.

1. CalebW

CalebW Farmall Cub

Good evening all,

—Have any of you installed jump seats in the back of your rigs?

I saw it done on a YouTube video and it looked pretty clean, and simple as well. All I think I’d have to do is bolt the premade seats to the bed (and get some seatbelts) along with moving the rear bench seat to the front probably 5-6 inches and bam... 2 more seats. The only problem I can see is that I live here in Commiefornia and there seems to be a law against everything... all you’ve got to do is find it.

Anyone have any opinions/ideas?

Attached Files:

Scoutcamper likes this.
  2. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Awesome! Definitely something I'm considering for the future now that I've seen it.
    -Josh

CalebW likes this.
  3. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Land Cruisers had seats like that. The FJ40s I mean. I've ridden in the back of a friend's TLC when we were in College. The ceiling might be taller in those than in a Scout, so maybe they had better head and leg room.

Plus, with modern views on safety I am not sure they'll be coming back. (Or did the Honda Elements have convertible seats like this?) It's a neat idea though for off-road use.

I don't know if this would be practical. In a Scout II anyway. Bye bye leg room, plus I don't know if the bench would be able to tumble forward w/o smacking the front seats half way through the process.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    CalebW likes this.
  4. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Cool idea! I always thought that configuration was best. I say that of course as I never have anyone in the back of my vehicles!!! I think Land Rover and Toyota both did set ups like that back in the day.

CalebW likes this.
  5. Patrick Morris

Looking again, it sure seems doable in an 800. I'd want to see a pic of people actually sitting in those seats. Kids would be a much easier deal of course than adults.

In a Scout II... I just measured mine. 42" of vertical clearance between the floor and the roof (measured inboard a little). If you mounted the seat so your butt is 10" off the deck it might be enough headroom for a typical adult male? Seats like those don't allow for leaning back at all obviously. And a person would tend to, if anything, lean a little forward, helping with the clearance. Leg position? Hard to say.

Of course with a Scout II if you wanted two of those seats you'd have to relocate the spare tire outside the vehicle somewhere.

CalebW likes this.
  6. CalebW

CalebW Farmall Cub

True ,yet living in SoCal I’ll probably have the roof on 5 days a year, and most of my friends are below 5 foot easy... thank god I’ll only be driving . With the 800A I’ve got the ugly tire holder on the tailgate... ever heard of anyone mounting a tire underneath the bed?... maybe even underneath the bench seat?

7. Patrick Morris

Gee, I kinda like the tire carrier on the 800s. Always thought it made those Scouts look sort of military. But anyway, do you think there's room underneath, behind the axle? What size tires are you running?

FWIW, I know that stowage wouldn't work with a Scout II because of the gas tank's location. But your 800A has two tanks in the sides somewhere, right?

8. CalebW

CalebW Farmall Cub

Currently I’m running 32x10 wheels so anything inside the cab would be tight... under the truck would be ideal seeing as I’m not planning on doing offroading. I’ve got a 2 inch lift atm which would definitely help. I’ve seen some spares mounted on the inner part of a roll cage, well if any of these don’t work I guess I don’t need a spare.

9. Patrick Morris

So it sounds like you've got a tire carrier but are determined not to use it. That's a shame. FWIW, many Scout II owners spend a lot of money and time to be able to have a tire carrier on the back of the vehicle. But driving around w/o a spare isn't a terrible idea. If you stick to populated areas and your tires are in good shape, i.e. have some tread on them and are under 5 years old. You might start a new thread asking specifically about the possibility of tire stowage under the bed. Lots of early-Scout owners here and they'll tell you if it is doable.

And don't forget to include "Scout 800A" in the title or at least in the first post. It'll get the attention of 80/800 owners much better. We often get frustrated trying to figure out what kind of vehicle the poster is talking about because they left out that info. This forum covers all kinds of trucks.

BTW, does your Scout have a roll cage? It's a good idea if you're driving around without the top. Actually, even with the top. The top doesn't do all that much for protection, hate to say it.

10. CalebW

CalebW Farmall Cub

True starting a whole new thread is a good idea. I’ve just always loved the tailgates on early scouts and I’d feel bad covering it up with 32x10 A/T tires I guess I could always bolt/weld the tire carrier back on. As per the roll cage my 800A has got a roll cage that looks semi sturdy, it seems to be 3/8 in. Thick 3 inch wide tubing and easily a 3’x8” and probably 3x8 inch thick metal base... I still think it’d probably do jack S against a rollover but it seems sturdier than the windshield frame... and maybe I’ll go to Mexico to get the whole thing chromed :))))))).

11. CalebW

CalebW Farmall Cub

12. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Farmall Cub

I’m digging those seats and that setup. I’ll definitey be filing this away for future reference.

13. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Popular thread! do you have a link to the youtube video?

I'm thinking the jump seats in the '73-'91 Ford F-series Supercab and the '83-2012 Ford Ranger extended cab might be a cheap Junkyard alternative.

-Josh

14. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Now you've also got me wondering if a center console jumpseat could work... Google "2005 Silverado Console Jump Seat" for example...

-Josh

15. Patrick Morris

If those dimensions are accurate and it's a true 6-point cage then I'd say it's ridiculously sturdy. And heavy. Depends partly on what it's made of an how it's put together. It is probably not tied into the frame yet, but that shouldn't be that hard to do, and you shouldn't need to remove the cage or make any new holes. Probably.

Got a pic to show us?

16. CalebW

CalebW Farmall Cub

Sadly no pic... she’s in the mechanics shop right now (cross your fingers). It seems to be something that a PO whipped up, as it was originally from Idaho or Illinois... something with an I. I’m not so worried about the structural integrity as I am where I’d put a 32/10 tire. I’m probably not gonna drive my scout as hard as I drive my corolla something about expensive parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Patrick Morris

Maybe the cage is made from iron Sch40 pipe and not tubing, which is much easier for the average Joe to bend and work with. A friend of mine made his cage and rear bumpers that way. Technically it's not as strong as CroMo tubing, but it's a hell of a lot stronger than no cage at all.

As for mounting the tire, yeah.... You could fab a mount for the top of the cage. This would have its pros and cons. Up top, the spare would be utterly and completely out of your way all of the time. But you might not care for the look, it might not play well with parking garages and such, and it would be a PITA getting it on and off the top. A mounted 32" tire is not light. BTW, are you sure it's 32x10? I didn't know that BFG made a TA that size. Or are you just translating from metric?

18. CalebW

CalebW Farmall Cub

The tires I’ve got now are 32x10.5 lemans A/T’s... I don’t know if they’re cheap or anything but I assume so because the PO was a college student like myself. As far as the issue mounting it on top of the rig I don’t think it’s be much of an issue, I’m a pretty big dude and I load and unload trucks for a living so I’m kind of use to it . I’d be more interested in mounting the spare on the inside of the rollcage right behind the drivers seat... the only problem I could see is the big tire not fitting, as my rig is at the shop I can’t measure it.

19. Patrick Morris

You're a perfect candidate for a roof-top mount then. LOL Wouldn't be a problem for you. I'm an old guy now and just thinking about lifting my 32" spare makes my back hurt.

Been a long time since I had a look at the interior of an 800. I thought room was kinda of tight back there behind the front seats. If you put the spare there then you would for sure need the jumpseats if you wanted to bring along more than one friend. And unless you can mount it low, your rear visibility might be compromised a bit. At this point we'll all just speculating though. Take some measurements and post some pics when you get your Scout back from the shop.