‘73 Scout II, 345 V8, 4Speed. What To Be Aware Of When Buying New Gauges????

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by TorqueMonster1, Nov 25, 2018.

1. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

Thanks for looking at my post. I recently had a thread about gauges for my Scout II. It’s a 345 with a 4 speed. Im going to be buying a speedo, tach, fuel level gauge, oil pressure gauge, battery volts gauge & a temperature gauge.

Is there anything specific about my Scout II that I need to be aware of when buying gauges? Gas tank sending unit? Anything special needed to hook up the Tach? Oil pressure being electronic or mechanical? Are all volts gauges the same? I can hook all of this up but my inexperience has me at a loss when choosing the best type of gauges for my situation. Thanks Ahead Of Time For Your Help!!! Mark

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  2. William1275

William1275 Farmall Cub

Gas gauge rated for 73-10 ohms as that is the stock sending unit.
    Tach connects to the coil, not transmission.
    Mechanical vs electric is dependent on what you want. When I did my round gauges I did mechanical

Suggestion to do if you do go with mechanical, test the water gauge first by putting the sensor in a pot of boiling water to see what it reads and use a laser to measure the after temp. My gauge reads 10 degrees hotter then actual temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TorqueMonster1 likes this.
  3. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Speedhut is having a 20 percent off sale right now. I highly recommend them.

4. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

If you go with a mechanical oil pressure gauge, I strongly suggest you install a copper feed line in place of the vinyl tubing that comes with most mechanical oil gauges, as it is very flimsy and prone to heat damage.

5. TorqueMonster1

Thanks for the feedback guys. Is there anything specific needed to hook up the Tach to the coil or just wire it up? How about speedometer? Any special gear needed? I’m torn about the oil pressure gauge. I’ve read mechanical is more accurate. Is it? I read about using cooper line instead of vinyl tube to get a stronger line but that the copper line is way tougher to install and an electrical gauge would be a way easier install. Thoughts about that?? I’ll look at Speedhut again. I found a line of Autometer that I was leaning towards but I’ll look again. Mark

6. TorqueMonster1

William1275, are you saying the stock sending unit for a 1973 Scout II with the 345 V8 is a 10 ohms? Just wanting to make sure I’m understanding correctly.
    And, is there any reason in the future I’d want or need to go away from the stock sending unit to something different? If so i outta know now before i get a gauge that would no longer work after the change. Thanks Again, Mark

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  7. Darrel

Go with a programmable fuel gauge and you can forget about the fuel level sending unit resistance (ohms). Press a couple of buttons with a empty and fuel tank and done. Doesn't matter if the float rod isn't adjusted perfectly or the resistance is out of spec. Get a programmable (or GPS) speedo as well so if you ever change gears or tire size you can readjust in a few minutes.
    I wouldn't even consider mechanical gauges. Modern electric gauges are just as accurate and no need to bother with stiff tubing or have a pressurized line in your cabin. Just make sure you have a ground strap from the motor to the body.
    Not to keep harping on Speedhut but check our their gauge builder system. You can pick your day and night colors, font, dial, needle, bezel, on and on, for no extra charge. You can even send them a jpg if you want a custom logo or picture. Like "Scout" or "IH". See post 447: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/daughter-father-build-’69-800a.121969/page-23
    Their fuel level gauge with the warning light is a nice option. https://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR-FUELLEV-01/1/Fuel-Level-Gauge-(programmable)-(w--warning) Play around with the settings on the right side for different looks.

8. William1275

William1275 Farmall Cub

Pretty much what Darrel said above .
    I don’t know how universal gas gauges work all that well. I knew the stock ohms and went with that. No programming. As for different ohm for a sending unit later, why? You can get new sending units from just about all the light line dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Darrel