‘63 Scout 80 with sliding windows...Softopper top

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Daniel Gulick, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Daniel Gulick

Daniel Gulick Farmall Cub

Well, I should have seen this coming. I purchased and installed a soft top from Softopper. It looks great, functionality is spot on, fair pricing...problem is it doesn’t work with my sliding windows that my ‘63 80 comes with. I have a few options in mind, have searched for many more - empty handed - and I’d like to see if anyone has experience with this. I searched the forums...one post led me on a witch hunt. For those unfamiliar, the frame on the sliders is removable, which I have done. When the soft top is installed, the frame hits the top and the door cannot close. I will happily include pics for those interested. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

1963 was the year IH made the roll-up window optional in the Scout 80 and almost 90 percent of Scouts in that year were ordered with them (only 8.2% sliders). Yours was ordered with sliders (or converted by a PO). Most likely, Softopper based their top on the more common Scout 80 with rollups. The rollups are so common, they might not even know sliders were offered in '63. Unless they have a top made for sliders and are willing to exchange what you have, the best bet is to convert your Scout to rollup doors. Job one is to call Softopper and clarify.

jeff campbell likes this.
  3. Don B

Don B Binder Driver

Swap doors?

4. Daniel Gulick

I called Softopper immediately and they ( or at least the person I spoke with) had never come across this situation. BinderBookie, thank you for the facts of the windows, who knew. I’ve only been able to get a partial LST and know it’s prior military service. Aside from a door swap which looks like it will have to happen, I am looking for a temporary fix, maybe tinted plexiglass, or a modified soft window for a Jeep? It’ll have to be some kid of fabrication since the frames are out of play. Live and learn. Anyone have any more idea...I’m all

jeff campbell likes this.
  5. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Because it isn't possible to install the rollup mechanisms and glass in a slider door. At least not practically. Easier to find and install Scout 80 rollup doors

jeff campbell and Daniel Gulick like this.
  6. John Trumpe

John Trumpe Farmall Cub

I'd add that the lever type door handle doors have different catches at the rear than the push button door handle doors. So if door shopping check this out. John

jeff campbell and Daniel Gulick like this.
  7. Daniel Gulick

Thank you John.