Michael W Bass's Recent Activity

1. Michael W Bass liked Patrick Morris's post in the thread Safety First (or Next).

That seems like an odd statement to make. What was he basing that on? Strength alone? I don't know of a stronger axle that would swap in...

May 27, 2020 at 8:13 PM
  2. Michael W Bass liked BinderBookie's post in the thread Safety First (or Next).

I agree with Morris. D44 is more than enough for a stock(ish) Scout with stock(ish) tire sizes and they are reliable within that realm....

May 27, 2020 at 8:13 PM
  3. Michael W Bass replied to the thread Safety First (or Next).

I had to do a quick study on semi vs full floating axles, but I think his concern is with floating axles in general and the potential...

May 27, 2020 at 8:11 PM
  4. Michael W Bass replied to the thread Safety First (or Next).

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I got the Scout to the shop today and had a preliminary conversation with the mechanic. Obviously he...

May 27, 2020 at 7:04 PM
  5. Michael W Bass liked Tom Mandera's post in the thread Safety First (or Next).

One advantage of rear discs - when the wheel bearing fails like it did, the caliper on the rotor will help keep the axle in place. For...

May 26, 2020 at 6:16 PM
  6. Michael W Bass liked Patrick Morris's post in the thread Safety First (or Next).

Yeah, I chat with him frequently about all kinds of things. So I mentioned this thread to him. And yep, if that retainer loses its grip,...

May 26, 2020 at 2:57 PM
  7. Michael W Bass replied to the thread Safety First (or Next).

I talked to John and he was very helpful. Eben though his retaining plates wouldn't have helped my situation I will most likely still...

May 26, 2020 at 2:21 PM
  8. Michael W Bass liked Patrick Morris's post in the thread Safety First (or Next).

Actually I just had a chat with John Tabor, the owner. Referred him to this thread here and he looked at your pics. Sadly, I have to...

May 26, 2020 at 11:06 AM
  9. Michael W Bass replied to the thread Safety First (or Next).

Thanks - the TABOR plates look awesome. The site is back up now.

May 26, 2020 at 10:12 AM
  10. Michael W Bass liked Patrick Morris's post in the thread Safety First (or Next).

Well, since you brought it up, there is an improved rear-axle retaining plate that most likely would have prevented this incident from...

May 26, 2020 at 10:11 AM
  11. Michael W Bass liked BinderBookie's post in the thread Safety First (or Next).

Thanks for clarifying. You may find that axle shaft will no longer carry a bearing. Not there looking at it, but I'd advise planning to...

May 26, 2020 at 7:55 AM
  12. Michael W Bass liked BinderBookie's post in the thread Safety First (or Next).

Glad you are here to ask questions about that, Mr. Bass! Am I seeing right? The pic is not very clear but... I don't see any splines on...

May 26, 2020 at 7:34 AM
  13. Michael W Bass replied to the thread Safety First (or Next).

The axle does have spines, it's just covered in mud. Drove back by the scene 6 days later and found the tire\axle about 1500 yards into...

May 26, 2020 at 7:34 AM
  14. Michael W Bass liked Tom Mandera's post in the thread Safety First (or Next).

First off, the bearing retainer isn't at fault here. The axle bearing failed. It failed because it was worn out. This is accelerated...

May 26, 2020 at 7:29 AM
  15. Michael W Bass liked TravelerMan79's post in the thread Safety First (or Next).

Wow. Glad to see that you and your dog are ok. Makes one rethink what one should be checking on these 40 year old plus vehicles....

May 26, 2020 at 7:28 AM