Share This Page

Bill USN-1

Moderator, 58, from Whidbey Island, WA

Staff Member Moderator
Bill USN-1 was last seen:
Sep 16, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    1. BJRoss
      BJRoss
      I want to put 35s on it. How should I work the lift? Currently there is a 4 inch suspension lift.
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        You can make them fit.
        The question is, are you willing to trim the fenders if needed?
        I run SOA with a 1.5 body lift and run 33's.
        I also moved the rear axle to center it in the opening.
        I run 15x10 wheels with centered offset.
        There is no one set answer to your question.
        It all depends on the wheels, tires, and lift.
        35x10.5 is a lot different than 35x15.5.
        Sep 11, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    2. BJRoss
      BJRoss
      Thanks for your fast response Bill. Next question; I sent the engine to Quinlin Automotive in Indy and the guy claims there is no stamping for size of engine; however, he found a stamping that is 151023R4 and he claims this tells him its a 345. Does this seem accurate?
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        can't answer casting numbers.
        There is normally the engine size cast into the bottom of the cylinder head.
        It will tell you the head size but it's possible someone put them on an early non IC 392.
        I would ask for a picture of the machined pad where it's normally stamped.
        Sep 10, 2019 at 3:37 PM
      2. BJRoss
        BJRoss
        Thanks again. One last question: If I have a 3 inch suspension lift would an additional 1 inch body lift give me enough room for 35s?

Also, I served with 1st Medical Battalion out of Camp Pendleton. Had a Navy Commander. Good times
        Sep 10, 2019 at 6:11 PM
      3. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        Doubt it.
        Sep 10, 2019 at 7:21 PM
    3. BJRoss
      BJRoss
      Good evening Bill. This is the first time I have used this so I am not sure if I am using this right but here goes. Completing a full rotisserie restoration on a 1973 Scout 2. Everything has been going really well until today when we realized we had a Dana 44 front axle with drum brakes which apparently doesn't have a conversion kit for disk brakes. What are my options?
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        Stock 75 and newer scout D44 front disc setup or the complete front axle.
        Sep 9, 2019
    4. i bleed red
      i bleed red
      Hello Bill. I sent you a message earlier today about your hydraboost write up on the old binder bench. Turns out I didn't get all pages printed and was missing vital info but going through some build threads here I found what I needed. Thanks for all the tech info. Have a nice evening.
    5. Larry Sorrell
      Larry Sorrell
      Bill, How can I find your Scout ll headliner information? Thanks.
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        Send me an email and I'll try to find it.
        JustIH seems to be down.
        Aug 17, 2019
    6. saltnadog
      saltnadog
      Do you know how i can identify the front axle, dana 44 or 30 in a 69 scout 800 with a v8 3 speed? the rear is a 44
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        Just compare the diff covers.
        If they look exactly the same then they're 44s.
        But a 800 never came with a front 44.
        That didn't start till 74.
        Jun 23, 2019
    7. Dante
      Dante
      Hey I’m a new member and I’m having trouble with my carb and trying to pass AZ emission. I’m looking in to swapping the GM tbi on to my Jeep 258. I was wondering what all I have to do In getting the swap certified As legal ?
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        You can post general EFI questions in the injection forum.
        If your interested in a complete kit then you can call me.
        Hamilton Fuel Injection
        360 969-2925
        Mar 16, 2019
    8. Mrxtremjeep
      Mrxtremjeep
      In need of help.
      I have a amc 360 i converted to tbi with timing control. I have the 7747 ecm had a guy from pirate 4x4 install and program a bigger chip in it. I even put the 454 throttle body on it. The problem im having is that i have no to end any more. Cant get the jeep over 50 mph when it uses to run 80 no problem. Any suggestions ?
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        please post in the injection forum unless you want assistance from my business, Hamilton Fuel Injection.
        Then you can email or call.
        Feb 28, 2019
    9. saltnadog
      saltnadog
      Good morning, do you know if the 727 transmission from a 78 scout 2 with a 345 engine will bolt uo to a 69 scout 304 v8??
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        Yes it will
        Feb 18, 2019
      2. saltnadog
        saltnadog
        Thank You
        Feb 18, 2019
    10. Todd A.
      Todd A.
      Hello I have a 1969 International Scout 800 and I am hoping someone on the forum can tell me the best aftermarket seats that will work best on my 800. I am looking for a basic seat nothing fancy. Saw some Smitty built seats that are only $99.00 each but no one can tell me if they will work in the scout or how I would get a track for the seats to adjust. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    11. Kevin72
      Kevin72
      Thank you, I'll definitely start a build thread when the time comes.
    12. Kevin72
      Kevin72
      I'm going to be starting my build on a 72 scout soon and I need a little guidance. I have the frame and running gear from a 79. Would it be eiser to start with the bare frame and preform the reverse shackle, c&t and soa? Does that make sense or should I just preform everything I want to do on my complete 72 then tear down for paint.
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        The scout should be complete so you can put the weight on the axle to check angles before final welding.
        You can still read my write up comments.
        It may help to understand the process.
        It also may be better to email or msg or start a thread then to have a conversation on my profile page.
        Dec 30, 2018
    13. Kevin72
      Kevin72
      Thank you. That's too bad about the pictures.
    14. Kevin72
      Kevin72
      Is your soa write up still out there? It seems to be the one everyone recommends. The link I've tried several times from several different posts always says not found.
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        Dec 29, 2018
    15. toddiaty
      toddiaty
      I'm going to assume you're a Navy guy with that handle. Good to talk to you. I'm a greenhorn that just joined the Planet and could use some help navigating the site. Would you be willing to help?
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        I can try.
        Aug 29, 2018
    16. Mustang
      Mustang
      Got covered up so it will probably be a couple of weeks before I get back on that one. I appreciate your help. If you can think of any sensors or such that would cause it to lose pulse please let me know. Yes it's dual fuel and looking like that's the problem,but I seldom work on tbi anymore. I 'll probably but you some more when I get back on it. Thanks again.
    17. Mustang
      Mustang
      Still trying to find my way around through the site - so much great info for someone so computer illiterate! It s great to know there are more scout addicts out there- I thought me and Mark Drake were the only two left in texas. Thanks again!
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        You neglected to mention a dual fuel system. It can definitely be a cause.
        Check out the NTB-North TX Binders.
        They are the DFW group.
        I only see Mark when he shows up to the IH Nationals in OH.
        Jun 13, 2018
    18. Mustang
      Mustang
      Thank you. Have spark and module is good. Pretty sure I checked fuses,but will recheck.It's been a few years since I worked on one,so I don't have a clue what code 42 is but will check for it tomorrow if I can. It was running for a while and dying but now won t start unless I manually pulse injectors. It also has a propane system and I am starting to think the problem is the control board for it.
    19. Mustang
      Mustang
      Thank you for all the time and effort you put into sharing your knowledge with eveybody. I am sure I 'll have several questions for you when I finally start putting fi on my scout.
    20. Mustang
      Mustang
      i have a couple of tb i questions for you. I have a 95 chev y tb I at the shop that is not getting any injector pulse. Will a bad map sensor cause this.My second question is, I have an 88 or 89 suburban back home with a tb I 350. Can I get everything I need to do my 304 scout off of this except the modified distributor ,adapter plate, and 02 bung?
      1. Bill USN-1
        Bill USN-1
        on the 95, no.
        Must have spark to have injector pulse. Check codes for a 42, test ignition module, check fuses.
        General questions can be posted in the forum.
        There's a parts required FAQ in the "start here" thread that has a junkyard shopping list as an attachment.
        Jun 12, 2018
  • About

Birthday:
    Oct 11, 1960 (Age: 58)
    Home Page:
    http://www.hamiltonfuelinjection.com
    Hamilton Fuel Injection
    City (for Classified search):
    Oak Harbor
    State/Province (for Classified search):
    WA
    Country (for Classified search):
    USA
    Just another retired Military guy.

Anything with an engine, Flying RC, Diving

Signature

Bill USN-1
    :sailor:

Click a link below that meets your needs! Either DIY or let me help.

COMMITED TO HELPING PEOPLE "PROPERLY" INSTALL EFI
    Learn to do it right.

Hamilton Fuel Injection May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!

WANTED-Holley Distributor
  • Gallery Statistics

Number of Photos:
    Number of Comments:
    Number of Views:
    Disk space used:
      337.9MB
    Last Photo Uploaded:
    Last Comment Posted:
      IH Traffic Jam
      Awesome looking yellow "76" scout. Sorta like the email address. scoutii76 :-) The traveller is all right too.